Sunday 12/14

C1erArt

Got to the top of Challenge at 8am and were the second tracks down. Thunderbolt was groomed to perfection, but they must have put the B team on Challenge. A couple of chunks out and ruts from the Cat, and half was freshly groomed and the right half was soft. Everyone was on Thunderbolt, so I did laps for a couple of hours and then hit the showers.

Some phone cam pics of the top of Challenge and the Thunderbolt headwall from the chair. One of looking back up at the top East Mountain-Challenge connector.

2588341230010107135S600x600Q85.jpg

That's me lining up to take off down Challenge ;)

2576147280010107135S600x600Q85.jpg

2108190350010107135S600x600Q85.jpg

2844200650010107135S600x600Q85.jpg

2980627410010107135S600x600Q85.jpg

2857539630010107135S600x600Q85.jpg

2397991520010107135S600x600Q85.jpg

Hey C1er... You paddle? Or does the name mean something else?

Actually I used to have a handle of xC1er, I'm afraid I've descended from the pinnacle of paddling to being merely a lowly kayaker. Mostly on the Lehigh and Tohickon. My web page is a www.balajthy.com

I was scanning in some old war photos of my Dad's, and had a bunch of B-24 pics from Italy in the same directory that I put today's pics in. The plane is the Ferp Finesco, lost over Ploesti. If you look closely there is some nose art on it.

The wide trail is the first headwall of Thunderbolt. What I like about JF is the top to bottom wide trails and great grooming.

Edited by C1er

My web page is a www.balajthy.com

No way. Thanks a ton for the great site. I've used it a ton to plan trips this summer/fall. The info you had gathered on the Brodhead was the best and most accurate I found on the web. Made for a fantastic day on the creek!

No way. Thanks a ton for the great site. I've used it a ton to plan trips this summer/fall. The info you had gathered on the Brodhead was the best and most accurate I found on the web. Made for a fantastic day on the creek!

Hate to say it, but although I live 15 miles from the Brodhead, I've never been on it, so if you catch it running, drop me a line.

I got up there around 10. Place was empty. Snow was softer but kind of weird in some spots, like hitting glue. Park was pretty decent. Jumps were fun.

Nick/Glenn on the note of paddling, i saw a pretty ridiculous set up on a car roof. Holding 3 boats, in the shape of a pyramid on top of a older toyota camry. Was pretty wild.

Hate to say it, but although I live 15 miles from the Brodhead, I've never been on it, so if you catch it running, drop me a line.

I'm moving to Colorado tomorrow, so unfortunately I won't be able to take you on that first trip. It's running right now though. So if you can round up a crew, get on it. It's going to go for another day or so I'm guessing. Skip the lower section. I wrote up some stuff on the AW page with a little bit more info than what was provided, but aside from the big ledges, it's all read an run for a class III boater.

I'm moving to Colorado tomorrow, so unfortunately I won't be able to take you on that first trip. It's running right now though. So if you can round up a crew, get on it. It's going to go for another day or so I'm guessing. Skip the lower section. I wrote up some stuff on the AW page with a little bit more info than what was provided, but aside from the big ledges, it's all read an run for a class III boater.

Thanks for the info, but I'm shufflin off to Buffalo tomorrow - Weekend Warrior these days.

I got up there around 10. Place was empty. Snow was softer but kind of weird in some spots, like hitting glue. Park was pretty decent. Jumps were fun.

Nick/Glenn on the note of paddling, i saw a pretty ridiculous set up on a car roof. Holding 3 boats, in the shape of a pyramid on top of a older toyota camry. Was pretty wild.

I'm glad you said that, I thought it was just me. My son just wanted to keep lapping Expedition and Demattes demise so we had been taking the same lift all day. Then on about our 8th run when I put my board down to get off the lift I wasn't moving and it did feel like I was stuck. Then of course the chair kept moving and I fell pretty hard, slammed my tailbone (of course) and my head. Good thing I had a helmet on. My son fell also and when we got up he said he felt like his board was stuck in glue. It was embarrasing but I do feel pretty beat up today.

I'm glad you said that, I thought it was just me. My son just wanted to keep lapping Expedition and Demattes demise so we had been taking the same lift all day. Then on about our 8th run when I put my board down to get off the lift I wasn't moving and it did feel like I was stuck. Then of course the chair kept moving and I fell pretty hard, slammed my tailbone (of course) and my head. Good thing I had a helmet on. My son fell also and when we got up he said he felt like his board was stuck in glue. It was embarrasing but I do feel pretty beat up today.

I had some Swix purple wax left over from Saturday, and it was a little sticky in the warmer conditions on Sunday - needed some red wax on.

Can anyone please describe the jumps? (how many, lip to knuckle distance, takeoff, landing)

What was that stuff people were hitting that was slowing everyone down?

They had 2 jumps open yesterday at JF. Nothing too big, same setup as last year for the most part. The snow was just slow in some spots.

If you are falling getting off a chair it is probably because they are blowing snow underneath you. Snow freezes to the base of your board and creates a grippy surface instead of the smooth slippery surface you normally ride on.

That makes sense, they were blowing snow underneath the lift. Any excuse not to blame it on my shitty ability. ;)

Edited by Barb

That makes sense, they were blowing snow underneath the lift. Any excuse not to blame it on my shitty ability. ;)

Working as a lifty for a number of years,I almost came to blows with a few customers over time after they accuse you of throwing sand or rocks onto the top unloading ramp.Some people get pretty hot after being whacked in the head by a lift chair.They just flat-out refuse to believe that the snow being blown under the lift would have any effect on their unloading ability,lol.

Can anyone please describe the jumps? (how many, lip to knuckle distance, takeoff, landing)

yeah there were two. first one was weird and small. if you were up there last year it was built on the landing of the first jump last year. It didn't really have a distinguishable knuckle or landing it was pretty much just a small kicker. the last jump was maybe 20 feet (I suck at distances) in the morning it was super nice the landing was awesome but as the day went on the lip got destroyed and never fixed and snow got soft so i literally had to tuck from before the first jump to clear it.

yeah there were two. first one was weird and small. if you were up there last year it was built on the landing of the first jump last year. It didn't really have a distinguishable knuckle or landing it was pretty much just a small kicker. the last jump was maybe 20 feet (I suck at distances) in the morning it was super nice the landing was awesome but as the day went on the lip got destroyed and never fixed and snow got soft so i literally had to tuck from before the first jump to clear it.

Thanks. :) I was told the 2 jumps were great at JF and I was really pissed for not going this weekend. This made me feel a little better.

JFBB needs to build a small/medium jump line already. BB has TONS of rails and only ONE jump.

Lame.