Blue Mountain is Going Downhill-No Pun Intended

Death Cookie

Is it just me, or have things gone downhill. I have been skiing at Blue for the past 20 years, and somehow sense an entirely different atmosphere since Ray Tuthill's passing. It's really sad to see our local mountain go "downhill." My brother and his family from VA were here earlier in the season (excited by the early opening). Sadly their experience at Blue was less than stellar. Long lines to buy lift tickets, long lines to rent gear all due to a new and improved computer system. If this is what Blue calls new and improved, I beg to differ. For the past 5 years my brother's family has visited Blue with no problems, this year we wasted a lot of time waiting while the new computer system kept shutting down. Working in the IT industry I guess I can understand a few bugs in the system, but what I cannot understand if the apparant lack of planning, and preparation when implementing this new system. When people travel to a mountain to ski, they want to ski -----not wait in line. Even more upsetting was the total lack of customer service help. When we expressed our concerns (as we were directed to do) with the customer service department we were told that the new system kept "freezing up." It was almost embarrassing to watch several employees all standing around staring at their computer screens as if they were waiting for something to happen. No "I'm sorry", no explanation, no offer to assist. It was as if no one really cared. I think we'll go to Camelback when my brother and his family return for Christmas vacation.

littlegapguy :angry:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or have things gone downhill. I have been skiing at Blue for the past 20 years, and somehow sense an entirely different atmosphere since Ray Tuthill's passing. It's really sad to see our local mountain go "downhill." My brother and his family from VA were here earlier in the season (excited by the early opening). Sadly their experience at Blue was less than stellar. Long lines to buy lift tickets, long lines to rent gear all due to a new and improved computer system. If this is what Blue calls new and improved, I beg to differ. For the past 5 years my brother's family has visited Blue with no problems, this year we wasted a lot of time waiting while the new computer system kept shutting down. Working in the IT industry I guess I can understand a few bugs in the system, but what I cannot understand if the apparant lack of planning, and preparation when implementing this new system. When people travel to a mountain to ski, they want to ski -----not wait in line. Even more upsetting was the total lack of customer service help. When we expressed our concerns (as we were directed to do) with the customer service department we were told that the new system kept "freezing up." It was almost embarrassing to watch several employees all standing around staring at their computer screens as if they were waiting for something to happen. No "I'm sorry", no explanation, no offer to assist. It was as if no one really cared. I think we'll go to Camelback when my brother and his family return for Christmas vacation.

littlegapguy :angry:

Yo littlegap guy. Here's what I heard about Blue. My mom bowls with some lady that works at Blue in the finance deptartment and she said if blue doesn't make a lot of money over Christmas the mountain will be in trouble. Looks like they spent too much on that computer system. If more people go to other mountains that would rock for us, less people taking up space from us locals. Too bad they didn't think of us riders and work on the new trail, and making the top lodge better. Who cares about a tubing tent. I was at Blue this moring and the computers in the food line were broken haha. My friend works there and she had to write down everything everybody ordered all moring. That was not cool.

Race team kids whoring the trails..stopping in the middle of falls..WTF??? But that's always been the case...

This really needs to be addressed. Skiiers code applies to the racing team as well, even if lift line rules don't. Ya hear me Blue??!!??!! While we're at it, lets address the race team retards doing high speed runs down Burma Road this weekend, practicing skiing on one leg! I'm sure the day tripper noobs appreciate that.

Yo littlegap guy. Here's what I heard about Blue. My mom bowls with some lady that works at Blue in the finance deptartment and she said if blue doesn't make a lot of money over Christmas the mountain will be in trouble.

Don't they get a ton of skier visits?

Times 2...imagine a combined Boulder/Jack Frost/Blue/Mount Snow season pass....

That would be perfect....but IDK I think Peak may be focusing on New England resorts now.

Yo littlegap guy. Here's what I heard about Blue. My mom bowls with some lady that works at Blue in the finance deptartment and she said if blue doesn't make a lot of money over Christmas the mountain will be in trouble. Looks like they spent too much on that computer system. If more people go to other mountains that would rock for us, less people taking up space from us locals. Too bad they didn't think of us riders and work on the new trail, and making the top lodge better. Who cares about a tubing tent. I was at Blue this moring and the computers in the food line were broken haha. My friend works there and she had to write down everything everybody ordered all moring. That was not cool.

Yo Chief,

Your Mom must bowl with my Grandmother because my grams told me the same exact thing and she said she heard it at bowling. Small world! Is the finance ladies name Denise or Debbie or something like that?

Edited by First Grade Teacher

JFBB was a really goo investment for Peak. Think about it - two mountains for the price of one, good climate, and they have other investments to work off of. JF has a golf course, both mountains have tons of real estate development at the base of the mountain. The only thing that sucked about it was the skiing, and they changed that. Blue on the other hand is a hill in the middle of rock quarys and.....palmerton? No secondary investments there. JFBB looked like a slam dunk to Peak.

Look at what Southern Management did with the old Doe Mt.It was a run down ski area and in eight years look at what they did.A nice lodge and hotel,great snow making,and a really nice park.The place operates year round also.......

If you are a local think about this.....Management doesn't make alot of money from you,they make money on the day and weekend trippers.So to attract them you have to have nice amenaties(lodge,hotel,nice snow,etc)...So to pay for all that you need to raise prices....alot.Then you also have to deal with the crowds that come there..If you think it Blue gets crowded now just think what it would be like if they had facilities like BC..it would be insane

As a local at BC/Doe Mt for many years, I love what they have done on the mt(snow/grooming/lifts) but there is a whole different vibe about the place now.

It's a double edge sword.

What do you think the value of Blue mountain ski area...they do 300,000+ skier/rider/tuber visits in 4 months..Okemo sold for $100something million...maybe Blue is worth 15-20 million...they generate alot of revenue but I'm guessing their profit margin is pretty small..in all but the best ski seasons. If you think about the history of Blue mountain it turned a rinky dink mountain into a major player..I never got to ski the mountain in the little gap days but I remember when the challenge chair began at the bottom of the Shuttle and Falls and the Chute were bump runs...20-30 minute lift lines late morning on weekends..and only the top lodge and lot..cars parked down the access road on the busy days. I like Blue :wub:

Chippy you can still do one legged steeze at Blue..you just have to wait 30 minutes longer for first chair...and the Blue mountain drive inn is still down the road..if that turned into a Dennys I'd be :angry:

I'm by no means putting Blue down in profits...they definitely reel in the day trip/philly crowd. JFBB gets more people from NY/NJ I'd say. I'm just saying from an investor standpoint JFBB looks really good due to the fact they have a shitton more of developing real estate near by.

JFBB gets more people from NY/NJ I'd say.

Not that I want Blue to become more crowded, but I wonder how much that has to do with advertising. Being an official Dirty Jersey representative, most folks I talk to, tell me that they either go to Camelback, JFBB, or MC. One of my co-workers takes his kids tubing at Blue, but that was only on my recommendation. I do want to see Blue do well financially.

Not that I want Blue to become more crowded, but I wonder how much that has to do with advertising. Being an official Dirty Jersey representative, most folks I talk to, tell me that they either go to Camelback, JFBB, or MC. One of my co-workers takes his kids tubing at Blue, but that was only on my recommendation. I do want to see Blue do well financially.

What would a cable installer know about advertising? and from what i hear that's what the marketing director was before he slepped his way to the top. :P

Look at what Southern Management did with the old Doe Mt.It was a run down ski area and in eight years look at what they did.A nice lodge and hotel,great snow making,and a really nice park.The place operates year round also.......

If you are a local think about this.....Management doesn't make alot of money from you,they make money on the day and weekend trippers.So to attract them you have to have nice amenaties(lodge,hotel,nice snow,etc)...So to pay for all that you need to raise prices....alot.Then you also have to deal with the crowds that come there..If you think it Blue gets crowded now just think what it would be like if they had facilities like BC..it would be insane

As a local at BC/Doe Mt for many years, I love what they have done on the mt(snow/grooming/lifts) but there is a whole different vibe about the place now.

It's a double edge sword.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

yess in deed blue is going down hill thanks to barb trying to go corperate u see u either go corperate or stay small time u cant do both the mt this year is horrible maybe sum of it has to do with the idoit that is in charge of marketing hmm let me see y would a mt put all over there damn brochere ski patrol that doesnt seem sumthing to market to get ppl to come who gives a shit about ski patrol an there stupid show that was all staged shit anyway if u asked me that show just made blue mt look like more asses that they already are when will they relize time to get out of the damn ski racing mind set when kids think of snowboarding an sking they dont think of that they think xgames an park an pipe its time blue mt wakes up an relizes that is where the money is not damn tubing a another waste of 300 000 dollars an they still cant make food to save there lifes i give them to the end of this year an they will be bankrupt especially after there other marketing flop rock the fall haha we wont go there sad part is they have ppl at the mt with talent an no what they are talking about an can make the place 100percent better an it wont cost any money just stop blowing money on dumb stuff maybe get rid of the old heads an get some young kids that actually no the sports an they will do a little better funny look at lil old shit hole jfbb they use to be nothing now look at them hmm an dont tell me they have better terrain nah they just use there damn heads so too barb an here new blue mt time to wake up an stop trying to be orginal whats wrong with being like everyone eles there making money arent they?