Ski boot help

kragan

I have an issue with my ski boots and I would like to get it taken care of before I head to Utah 3/3 - 3/8. My feet have always been cold, so to help with that I have (on the recommendation of A-Jeff) purchased the Hotronics M4. I used them last weekend and they worked well. However, my right foot almost always goes numb or is in a lot of pain. My left foot is uncomfortable, but not near as bad as my right. So I have done some Google searches and of course Surefoot comes up, but not a viable option due to location ( and due to my Utah trip $$$). So I am trying to see what my other options are in the area. I live 5 mins from Buckman's in Montgomeryville so that would be my first option, but am willing to drive farther to be able to see someone that knows what they are doing.

Thanks to anyone that can offer some advice.

If you unbuckle the buckle over your instep, does that help? Just trying to get an idea of your problem.

It almost has to be...

The problem if I understand you correctly is that after you got your Hottronics (lulz) your feet hurt.

What happened is something in your foot bed changed, the decreased room has caused reduced circulation and your getting cramping in your arches which can be pretty painful. It gets worse the more you work the ski.

First check that they installed the footbeds in the right boot, it sounds stupid but depending on how old they are and how they have deformed its a easy mistake to make. The way you can usually tell is your feet leave stains on the footbeds the area with no stains is where you arch is. (Gross I know)

I don't have Hottronics but I believe they are wired underneath the footbed and can be damaged if you rip the footbeds out so you may want to take them to a shop.

You may also need new footbeds which can be $$$ if they are custom.

The only shop I trust in a 8 hour radius in Pinnacle in Reading, the head tech guy is really really good and the older guy who I think owns the place is a very competent boot fitter. Take them to him and tell him exactly whats wrong, don't let anyone else work on them as their other people don't know shit.

Edited by Johnny Law

Sounds like a reinsertion of the footbed and/or liner problem. If the liners are left out for an extended period of time they will swell up larger than when they are confined in the shell. Adjust the tongue of the boot as well before buckling up, The hotronic wiring wouldn't account for a loss of space, and the heat disc is pretty thin. One caution with the hottronic discs: If you take out footbeds and liners repeatedly to dry out your shells and liners, the disc can begin curling and it will feel like a knife blade on your foot after skiing a coupla hours. Make sure it's flush, otherwise re attach with some adhesive or replace the disc and wire. I discovered that problem on my trip to Jay.

It almost has to be...

The problem if I understand you correctly is that after you got your Hottronics (lulz) your feet hurt.

What happened is something in your foot bed changed, the decreased room has caused reduced circulation and your getting cramping in your arches which can be pretty painful. It gets worse the more you work the ski.

First check that they installed the footbeds in the right boot, it sounds stupid but depending on how old they are and how they have deformed its a easy mistake to make. The way you can usually tell is your feet leave stains on the footbeds the area with no stains is where you arch is. (Gross I know)

I don't have Hottronics but I believe they are wired underneath the footbed and can be damaged if you rip the footbeds out so you may want to take them to a shop.

You may also need new footbeds which can be $$$ if they are custom.

The only shop I trust in a 8 hour radius in Pinnacle in Reading, the head tech guy is really really good and the older guy who I think owns the place is a very competent boot fitter. Take them to him and tell him exactly whats wrong, don't let anyone else work on them as their other people don't know shit.

The discomfort/numbness was there before the hotronics. It is something that I have dealt with for a while (along with the cold feet) and am finally trying to do something about it. I put the hotronics in myself and you are correct the wire runs under the footbed that came with the hotronics that has a groove on the bottom for the wire.

I also think that part of my problem is that my right foot is slightly larger than my left. I have been reading about the heat molded liners that you can get yourself, but am leery of doing something like that myself. I should just man up and spend the money at a surefoot when I am in Utah :angry:

The discomfort/numbness was there before the hotronics. It is something that I have dealt with for a while (along with the cold feet) and am finally trying to do something about it. I put the hotronics in myself and you are correct the wire runs under the footbed that came with the hotronics that has a groove on the bottom for the wire.

I also think that part of my problem is that my right foot is slightly larger than my left. I have been reading about the heat molded liners that you can get yourself, but am leery of doing something like that myself. I should just man up and spend the money at a surefoot when I am in Utah :angry:

I don't understand where your pain is ? Whole foot ?

Intuition liners ($200) would certainly feel better and be way warmer but either way it sounds like maybe a good boot fitter would really help. Lots of people in UT do really really good work with intuitions.

http://www.intuitionliners.com/products2.htm

I ignored foot pain for 10 years and finally had a top notch fitter deal with it. It's the best money you can spend. Get it done out there, that way you can test it out immediately and if it still needs a fine tuning you can bring it back in. If you get it done here and have problems out there, you'll end up paying twice.

If your foot pain goes away when you unbuckle the second buckle, it generally means that the boot is pressing too hard on your instep (you have a higher volume foot). This is my problem. I have heat moldable liners (not fully moldable like intuition). I had them heat molded (instead of just letting them break in) and I had aftermarket footbeds put in. This has solved 99% of my problem. I still keep the second buckles unbuckled when I am on the lift to let my feet relax.

A bootfitter can remove some of the stuffing over the instep to create a bit more room for the instep. You can also just keep that buckle unbuckled.

By way of background, I went with an inexpensive "custom" footbed--zapz. I really like them, and I am glad that I tried something inexpensive first, rather than just jumping to a $200 custom footbed. The Zapz were $60. I was just reading one of the ski magazines and they actually recommended Zapz as an inexpensive option.

I don't understand where your pain is ? Whole foot ?

Intuition liners ($200) would certainly feel better and be way warmer but either way it sounds like maybe a good boot fitter would really help. Lots of people in UT do really really good work with intuitions.

http://www.intuitionliners.com/products2.htm

With my right foot its the outer edge of my foot starting with my pinky toe running down the side of my foot.

With both feet its the actual soles of my feet. I have started looking for some fitters in SLC. If only there was a www.utskiandride.com that would be great resource to find a local shop.

If your foot pain goes away when you unbuckle the second buckle, it generally means that the boot is pressing too hard on your instep (you have a higher volume foot). This is my problem. I have heat moldable liners (not fully moldable like intuition). I had them heat molded (instead of just letting them break in) and I had aftermarket footbeds put in. This has solved 99% of my problem. I still keep the second buckles unbuckled when I am on the lift to let my feet relax.

A bootfitter can remove some of the stuffing over the instep to create a bit more room for the instep. You can also just keep that buckle unbuckled.

By way of background, I went with an inexpensive "custom" footbed--zapz. I really like them, and I am glad that I tried something inexpensive first, rather than just jumping to a $200 custom footbed. The Zapz were $60. I was just reading one of the ski magazines and they actually recommended Zapz as an inexpensive option.

Hmm, I just checked out zapz ... seems like a nice place to start. I think I may order some.

I will try unbuckling the bottom 2 buckles while on the lift this Saturday in between runs and see how that goes.

With my right foot its the outer edge of my foot starting with my pinky toe running down the side of my foot.

With both feet its the actual soles of my feet. I have started looking for some fitters in SLC. If only there was a www.utskiandride.com that would be great resource to find a local shop.

sounds like you need some arch support, and the footbeds that come with hotronics certainly do not provide any. i'm not sure what buckmans does specifically, but check out nestors on rt. 145 in whitehall, it should be right on your way to blue. similar to zaps, A Line footbeds are a step shy of the full custom deal, but we've had a ton of success with them, and they're cheaper than full customs. swing by on your next trip up to blue and get your boots tweaked beforehand, and then stop by afterwards if you're still having problems, that way you can get everything sorted out before utah. i'm gonna be out there the same time, where are you skiing?

sounds like you need some arch support, and the footbeds that come with hotronics certainly do not provide any. i'm not sure what buckmans does specifically, but check out nestors on rt. 145 in whitehall, it should be right on your way to blue. similar to zaps, A Line footbeds are a step shy of the full custom deal, but we've had a ton of success with them, and they're cheaper than full customs. swing by on your next trip up to blue and get your boots tweaked beforehand, and then stop by afterwards if you're still having problems, that way you can get everything sorted out before utah. i'm gonna be out there the same time, where are you skiing?

Especially since you are so close, our Montgomeryville store staff can get you fixed up before you get to UT. Ask for Brian Tobish or Drew Good as they are our best 2 boot fitters in that store. Both have been well trained by Master Fit and have years of experience in our shop.

We do carry the Intuition liners and various footbeds (from simple trim to fit up to full on custom molded). I am confident that they can solve your issues.

I do suggest you have them taken care of and then use them at Blue or somewhere at least once prior to heading out west.

good luck and have fun in UT!

sounds like you need some arch support, and the footbeds that come with hotronics certainly do not provide any.

I am assuming he didn't use the hotronics liners? I've got my M4s mounted on the bottom of my Alines, and it works great. I know they're girly, but I wear them under my powder cuff so you can't tell, but my boots are just ice cold (and yes, they fit properly) in anything under 30 degrees.

We are going to be hitting Alta, Snowbird, Snow Basin, and Powder Mountain. We are staying in Sandy, UT and driving to a different mountain each day.

Especially since you are so close, our Montgomeryville store staff can get you fixed up before you get to UT. Ask for Brian Tobish or Drew Good as they are our best 2 boot fitters in that store. Both have been well trained by Master Fit and have years of experience in our shop.

We do carry the Intuition liners and various footbeds (from simple trim to fit up to full on custom molded). I am confident that they can solve your issues.

I do suggest you have them taken care of and then use them at Blue or somewhere at least once prior to heading out west.

good luck and have fun in UT!

I think that I will stop by this week.