Tux Report 4/24

snoskier

We decided to give Tux a go this past weekend. The avy forecast was a little dicey but the weather was supposed to be nice we decided to go for it. I hauled up the avy gear just in case and thankfully didn't have to use it. We hit the trail at 10 and made it up to HoJo's in 1:45. Plenty of time for me to decide my Volkls are a freaking heavy ski.

This was the first real shot of bowl.

IMGP2398.jpg

We took a break and scoped out the conditions at HoJos.

IMGP2401.jpg

IMGP2402.jpg

Decided to go for it and give Left GUlly a shot.

This is on the hike up little headwall looking toward Hillmans (which you can't see at this angle).

IMGP2406.jpg

Made it up to the ravine which was amazing. Worth the hike even if we didn't get to ski.

Here is a shot looking up Left Gully

IMGP2410.jpg

IMGP2414.jpg

IMGP2412.jpg

Right Gully and Lunch Rocks

IMGP2415.jpg

THe Lip at the end of the day.

IMGP2417.jpg

Me at tux

IMGP2419.jpg

Decent cover on the sherbie

IMGP2421.jpg

Ended up taking one run on Left Gully - i only hiked up to just below the pinch point. There were a bunch a people above it and the word from the rangers was that it was pretty icy. So I erred on the side of caution. I have to say the transition from hiking to skiing was pucker inducing. That freaked me out more than anything. The skiing was steep and the snow was great. Took another on the lower part of the lip just above lunch rocks. Very nice.

We were able to ski back to HoJos and then 1/2 way down the Sherbie. The next day there were a TON of people. We got a spot in the lot at 9:30 on Friday, but by 9:30 friday they were lined up and down the road and maxed out the overflow lots. My guess was at least 4-500 + cars easy. All in all great trip - going back for sure.

IMGP2432.jpg

Here is a parting shot of the backside on the drive out.

IMGP2439.jpg

nice - way to g0 after it with some "considerable" risk. it looks like i might be a year older when i make it up as my schedule is getting jammed up and my enthusiasm has faded a bit with the recent heat wave. nice TR for sure though - it certainly fired up the stoke meter a notch, we'll see... hey sno i think we mighta skiid a few runs at blue gaper day a season ago - you had a furry hat?

M-Bike - yup that was me at gaper day with the furry hat. I guess we have met. I don't think I was really skiing in considerable risk b/c if it was considerable I wouldn't ski it. I've been through the avy classes and have the right gear and feel reasonably comfortable with my assessment skills. I was 100% prepared to hike up and not ski if the conditions didn't look right. People get trapped thinking it is a nice day and they can ski anything.

That said, there were three slides on Saturday. Check out the links:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3035887350060201085EMLQOR

As for 1:45 being a lot of time for the runs. I don't think so it was totally worth it. For one I like to hike so I didn't mind. It is 2.4 miles to HoJos then another .7 to the ravine. So all told it was 2:15 to get to the bowl before you started to hike for your run. The views are worth it. I wish I could have taken some pictures high up, but the transition was frightening enough without taking out my camera.

As for getting down I think we left the ravine after 4 and I was in the gift shop by 6 pm. So probably made it to the car about 5:30. Probably took 20 minutes to ski down the sherbie, 10 to deboot and then 45 or so to hike the rest of the way down. (It was only a mile but very icy)

Snoskier.

Nice work !

1:45 is a good time, unless your Glenn.

Just being up there is worth the hike, you can't appreciate what your looking at until you see it in person..pictures don't do the place justice in terms of scale.

Maybe next year we should do a PASR weekend up there...