Long range forecasts looking VERY GOOD...

HouseMuzik

i see two, maybe three days before that first saturday that they could blow snow. i know it probably only takes 3 days to get freedom open, but thats with optimum snowmaking weather, which 29 degrees is not. first week in november looks like a stretch as of right now. the forecast that many days out though is generally based on seasonal averages moreso than what's actually blowing across the country, so it could change.

Friday Nov 6th - Sunday Nov 8th look good there but a few cautions.

1) Forecasts 15 days out are a joke, especially on temperatures. That could easily go from low of 20 to low of 28 without significantly changing the forecast for anyone but those of us looking for a mountain to make snow. Computer models are just not that accurate.

2) Temperature is important but the 3 other factors that go into it are cloud cover, ground condition, and wind. Cloudy nights mean that the low won't come until very late and getting 2 hours of snowmaking weather a night is not worth the time or money. The ground is going to be warm if you just got off a warm spell, and before it is frozen/covered with snow it is tough to get stuff to stick. You make a lot more snow on the 2nd night of the cold snap than the 1st. And of course too much wind which often happens on the first night of a cold spell makes it even more inefficient, but they probably will make snow if they can either way.

3) Friday-Sunday is not a good time for it. If that cold spell was Tuesday-Thursday I'd say they would be more likely to do it so they could open friday/saturday/sunday, but opening monday/tuesday/wednesday isn't the same revenue generator.

So I wouldn't be counting on skiing that Sunday, but maybe the next weekend or like I said originally, black Friday. Maybe I'm just mad because I'll be in washington DC nov 6/7/8 for interviews and wouldn't be able to make that but I doubt you'll see then open before the 2nd week of Nov with this forecast.

And, if you don't get your hopes up you can't be disappointed. But I'd put money down that in less than 4 weeks I will have gotten on snow in PA.

i think an early november opening is being optimistic. i can be wrong, and i actually hope i am, but it seems like 25 degrees at night might be pretty good for making snow, but is 40 degrees or more during the day counter-productive? not trying to be a "debbie downer", just trying not to hype myself up for something that might not happen.

when i looked at the long range on friday it was much colder right after halloween than it now shows. so...yeah, the long range is a guide that will probably change considerably by the end of this week.

Edited by smartass

What's the point of the confidentiality and the admin's privileged information if they use it in a wanton fashion to single out individuals or raise the stature of their friends. I was always under the impression the position was about responsibility not power and popularity. Maybe I shouldn't have left after all.

• Like 3

Busting out the snowmaking wet bulb chart for the year from Bear Creek.

wetbulb%20chart.jpg

Going with an average of Accuweather, NOAA, and Weather.com I get about:

Thursday night - 25 and mostly cloudy, 70% humidity.

Friday night - 29 and mostly cloudy, 70% humidity.

Looks like it will be possible both nights. Based on the cloud cover it won't be great though, those windows might be very small. Daily highs in the upper 40s doesn't help either.

I could see them making some snow for marketing/publicity reasons but not a real push for an opening unless the forecast improves a bit.

Looks like a better window opens Nov 12th on, but again that is far out so the forecast is not very solid.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of the temperature it was last night with the temperature today, they lost any they may have blown. I've got a feeling they'll be firing them up Monday night for sure.

haha i went out for a road ride today, had all my thermals on, and as soon as i walked outside sripped to just shorts and a jersey. crazyyy warm this sucks haha

wetbulb%20chart.jpg

Forecasts for Monday night 11/30 as of Sunday night 11/29

TWC

Humidity - 60% (32F needed for snowmaking)

Low T - 28F

Snowmaking Window 9PM - 9AM

Accuweather

Humidity - 80% (30F needed for snowmaking)

Low T - 27F

Snowmaking Window 10PM - 8AM

Weather Underground

Humidity - 80% (30F needed for snowmaking)

Low T - 27F

Snowmaking Window 1AM - 7AM

I'd be surprised if they don't have people out there to try Monday night. If the forecast holds they could make a decent amount with 6-12 hours of snowmaking in these forecasts. Tuesday night is a toss up on if they can make snow or not, but it doesn't look like much will melt Tuesday. Wednesday looks like some melting and no snowmaking. Thursday and Friday maybe more snowmaking. If this week stays this cold we probably won't have PA skiing next weekend, but a little colder and maybe we will. I think JFBB has to push to open before the rest and the following weekend might not be before everyone else. I also think only JFBB has a chance for this weekend.