Elk tr

moe ghoul

I definitely have a soft spot for Elk, but I do believe that they have the best conditions in NE PA... I am thinking of maybe going there on Saturday... How is the snowmaking progressing? Think they will have the quad open by Saturday? Snowmaking down to it?

I definitely have a soft spot for Elk, but I do believe that they have the best conditions in NE PA... I am thinking of maybe going there on Saturday... How is the snowmaking progressing? Think they will have the quad open by Saturday? Snowmaking down to it?

Tough call. Upper Tunk is based but ungroomed no guns all day. Lower tunk is blown but looks thin and no guns on today. I'll be scouting 411 on openings into the weekend and posting. At the firepit now boozin, makin friends then headin over to chet's to get slammed. Spot picked out for camping out. I'm in the moe-zone. Out.

• Like 1

How was the snow? Anyone else there today want to chip in?

Also, as a mini rant: not blowing during the day midweek is the the thing that drives me absolutely crazy every year. I know PP&L likes to jack up the rates hard during normal business hours monday to friday but with the constant cold we have they can get half the damn mountain open by christmas if they want. I know that they will blow during the daytime hours mid-week later in the season but it still drives me nuts that they dont when they are actually trying to get the mountain open. I know its all about the money but if they get more open earlier then maybe they will get more ppl which = more money. -End Rant-

How was the snow? Anyone else there today want to chip in?

Also, as a mini rant: not blowing during the day midweek is the the thing that drives me absolutely crazy every year. I know PP&L likes to jack up the rates hard during normal business hours monday to friday but with the constant cold we have they can get half the damn mountain open by christmas if they want. I know that they will blow during the daytime hours mid-week later in the season but it still drives me nuts that they dont when they are actually trying to get the mountain open. I know its all about the money but if they get more open earlier then maybe they will get more ppl which = more money. -End Rant-

that's elk. They don't want to be camelback or hunter.

Snow is decent, but a fair amount of cookies (powder pellets)

Oh I know, just wishing I could ski more than just the same couple trails till mid jan. I have no problem with them not wanting to be camelback or hunter. /shudders

And the snow sounds like the typical early season variable. I was worried that the rain/ice storm wrecked havoc. Cookies are relative, I've spent enough time skiing at blue, so as long as its white I'm good.

Edited by jdrob2ski

Just got back. Sorry I missed you Moe, I camped out in the lodge bar after loosening up my legs a bit. Conditions did get a bit better in the afternoon, but the snow was a lot more "chunky" than other opening days. A victim of the big temperature changeover.

They were blowing at three spots all day-- the beginner terrain park, the Snowbowl by the quad lift, and I think Whissahickon out West.

I think they'll have upper and lower Tunk, and the Lackawanna spur open by the weekend--maybe Whiss too. And the surface will be better after another couple of days of grooming.

They actually had a fire going in the bar fireplace, first time in about 15 years, but the Elk head mount has been replaced by a picture over the mantle.

Just got back. Sorry I missed you Moe, I camped out in the lodge bar after loosening up my legs a bit. Conditions did get a bit better in the afternoon, but the snow was a lot more "chunky" than other opening days. A victim of the big temperature changeover.

They were blowing at three spots all day-- the beginner terrain park, the Snowbowl by the quad lift, and I think Whissahickon out West.

I think they'll have upper and lower Tunk, and the Lackawanna spur open by the weekend--maybe Whiss too. And the surface will be better after another couple of days of grooming.

They actually had a fire going in the bar fireplace, first time in about 15 years, but the Elk head mount has been replaced by a picture over the mantle.

If they were indeed blowing on that much then I retract my previous statement, good for them. Also, the Elk head in the bar is gone? WHY???

I'm getting all the local 411. The story about the elk is that the guy that shot it lent it to the lodge and he died recently. The fa

ily asked that a plaque be made in his honor and elk refused. So the fam

ily took the elk back, lol.

Edited by moeghoul

Come up tomorrow I'll be I'll be setting up camp at the picnic lodge again

Come up tomorrow I'll be I'll be setting up camp at the picnic lodge again

Sorry, work calls... I'll be up Fri night for the weekend. Have fun at the "half-way" house.

According to the bar-keep they had a plaque with the fellows name posted up last year, so I don't think that was the issue. I heard the family just wanted the mount back.

Also the fireplace is gas/propane, as the chimney never worked properly for wood and would smoke out the restaurant when lit.

Hey moeghoul, do you really sleep in your car in the winter? How do you stay warm? We used to camp out in the winter, in the Boy Scouts, and one time it was -5 degrees and my feet almost frooze even wearing boots and boot socks in the sleeping bag.

I went to the 2 local ski shops up here in the Binghamton NY area (Bergers & Cliff House) and got the $20. vouchers for lift tickets to the 2 demo day's at Elk Mountain on Fri. 1/8/09 and Fri. 1/22... Great Deal!

Hey moeghoul, do you really sleep in your car in the winter? How do you stay warm? We used to camp out in the winter, in the Boy Scouts, and one time it was -5 degrees and my feet almost frooze even wearing boots and boot socks in the sleeping bag.

Lots of people sleep in the car, if you can go 10 days staying in a hotel every night you can go twenty if you sleep in the car.

Buy a decent sleeping bag and you'll be fine.

Nice to hear your getting some snow Moe.

Sub zero down bag and car heaters that blow hot goodness into the mancave.down booties from north face are essential. Early lunch by the pit, poached the liftline in ankle to boot deep drift on skiers right then ducked over to the bunny lift and I think I evaded detection. Upper Tunk looks great, should be good to go today or Friday, lower Tunk is getting some love today, groomers are pushing snow around, no news on when it opens yet. Awesome cord, no cookies, 1st chair, 1st trax. FKNA!

Edited by moeghoul
  • Like 1

Sub zero down bag and car heaters that blow hot goodness into the mancave.down booties from north face are essential. Early lunch by the pit, poached the liftline in ankle to boot deep drift on skiers right then ducked over to the bunny lift and I think I evaded detection. Upper Tunk looks great, should be good to go today or Friday, lower Tunk is getting some love today, groomers are pushing snow around, no news on when it opens yet. Awesome cord, no cookies, 1st chair, 1st trax. FKNA!

Upper Tunk is open.

• Like 1

Loaded up pix from the past few days at Elk. Today was good skiing, sunny, cold in the teens, no wind, plenty of corduroy, Tunk is open top to bottom, a few spurs opened and more work is being done. Spent the day lapping Susquehanna, Tunk and Tioga with Wendy and a few other local peeps. Left at 2, booked a room @ Chet's for Jan 20-22 for Elk day Friday. I smell like ass and my hair looks like it was used to scrub out an oil pan. I might have to go with the rasta man look.:P

Reverse chronology:

second chair this AM, I'm slipping.....

Sunrise

Guns blazing before dawn

Temp outside this AM

Trax of my poached run down Seneca under the lift on Thursday.

Some miscellaneous shots

Total dinner check at Chet's Wednesday. HUGE pile of food for a Turkey dinner and 2 #9's.......