Camelback CLOSED @ 3:15pm Sun 1/3/10

setagehtta

So, with tree limbs falling on trails, signs, vents, and wind gages blowing off buildings, and, oh yeah, chairs bouncing off towers and shutting the lifts down, we should stay open?

Gusts well above 70mph (according to our wind gages at the top)and we even had wind issues with the lower, fixed grip lifts.

Personnaly, I dont want to have to do a rope evac of the lifts in those conditions (which we nearly had to) nor would I want to be stuck in a chair for 2 hours (cuz thats how long it might take.

I am not sure how other mountains stayed open. I can only guess lower wind speeds, different wind direction, or maybe just stupidity.

Flame on!

So, with tree limbs falling on trails, signs, vents, and wind gages blowing off buildings, and, oh yeah, chairs bouncing off towers and shutting the lifts down, we should stay open?

Gusts well above 70mph (according to our wind gages at the top)and we even had wind issues with the lower, fixed grip lifts.

Personnaly, I dont want to have to do a rope evac of the lifts in those conditions (which we nearly had to) nor would I want to be stuck in a chair for 2 hours (cuz thats how long it might take.

I am not sure how other mountains stayed open. I can only guess lower wind speeds, different wind direction, or maybe just stupidity.

Flame on!

Safety is of course #1, especially with all the litigation possibilities in weather like that...

HOWEVER the wind gusts never hit 70mph...

According to wunderground at the top of the mountain for 1/3/10:

Max Wind Gust: 49.5mph from the NW

Sure that sucks to ski in, but CB is always the first to close for any little reason.

Let's not even mention how night skiers have lost an entire hour of riding (now close at 9PM weekdays)...

Safety is of course #1, especially with all the litigation possibilities in weather like that...

HOWEVER the wind gusts never hit 70mph...

According to wunderground at the top of the mountain for 1/3/10:

Max Wind Gust: 49.5mph from the NW

Sure that sucks to ski in, but CB is always the first to close for any little reason.

Let's not even mention how night skiers have lost an entire hour of riding (now close at 9PM weekdays)...

49.5mph is pretty damn hot for any chair, lots of safeties going off and stopping the lift anyways. 30 is generally where things start to get shitty, any higher and your worried the haul line is going to throw a sheave and then the whole thing is fucked.

Its sucks they closed but you can't fault CB for this one.

Any refunds I think not!!! Ski 6 hrs loose 6 hrs its only fair

Return visit vouchers were issued to anyone that came to Guest Services to recieve one. As far as the wind, it was blowing over galvenized steel barriers in our parking lots. We will suspend operations either until the wind dies down or the next day. The quads are the first to be suspended due to the fact that they are detachable chairs. The fixed grip lifts will get suspended if lift ops deems them to unsafe to ride.

I was on a blade-trip with a few friends up at Killington on Jan 3rd and they were spining all of their chairs and with all my years of blading experiance; I can judge the wind speed by how much my blades blow around when I'm riding the chair, and the winds were definately less than 55 mph, that is below the limit for a Poma high-speed quad, and since Killington is much higher than Camelback, the winds at Camelback must have been much lower than that.

• Like 1

I was on a blade-trip with a few friends up at Killington on Jan 3rd and they were spining all of their chairs and with all my years of blading experiance; I can judge the wind speed by how much my blades blow around when I'm riding the chair, and the winds were definately less than 55 mph, that is below the limit for a Poma high-speed quad, and since Killington is much higher than Camelback, the winds at Camelback must have been much lower than that.

You must have been sitting in the lodge all day! Since on 1/3 Killington had the 2nd stage of the Skyeship, Superstar quad and several other lift on wind hold for most of the day. Mad River Glen had the single chair closed all day.

alias=failed

Oh sorry I meant I was at Keystone not Killington where all of there chairs was running and Keystone is much higher then Killington and Camelback so it should have been less windy at both of them, I think Killington and Camelback should both recalabrate there wind sensing machines because the winds must have been less then 45 mile per hour.

• Like 1

Oh sorry I meant I was at Keystone not Killington where all of there chairs was running and Keystone is much higher then Killington and Camelback so it should have been less windy at both of them, I think Killington and Camelback should both recalabrate there wind sensing machines because the winds must have been less then 45 mile per hour.

he's right, keystone is at 9,000 feet and there's no way killington and camelback are that high.

Isn't keystone thousands of miles from Killington & CB. I thought your original post was somewhat tenuous but now you've just blown any (small amount) of credibility you might have had.

I don't understand why we have the conversation about CB's lifts every year, yes they close them in the first moderate breeze, yes they close them when it's not busy and they can save money, it's lame but it's a fact of life at CB. Do I miss it? Hell no....