Jackson Hole Report Thread

AtomicSkier

I'm headed out to JH next week. So stoked.

Any place to get some discount lift tickets? I believe you guys mentioned central reservations before. I looked into that, and its cheaper but not by all that much.

And how about a guide or tour, anyone have any experience doing either of those. I'll be scouring the threads for some info this week, but we were still considering getting a tour guide for a day to hopefully keep me from hucking off the wrong cliff.

We ended up getting a room in the hostel fyi. So I'll let you know how that goes. You guys all made it seem like staying in Jackson was the way to go, and I agreed, but the lure of walking to the lift was too much so I wasn't able to swing the vote.

There are no discount lift tickets available at Jackson Hole..inbounds all cliff areas are well marked. Guides go for about $600 a day..they have received 11 feet of snow in the past 4 weeks..you are gonna have a great time. Be sure to post reports and take lots of pictures!!!

$600, ouch. I'm definitely not that baller. Thats kinda what I thought about the tickets though, the people I'm going with have been surfing/making calls all day and coming up empty.

Here is pricing for guides..wicked expensive..

http://www.jacksonhole.com/lessons-guides/backcountry-guides/guided-backcountry-tour.html

Lift tickets through Central reservations are cheaper than on www.jacksonhole.com or at the ticket window. When are you leaving fore JHOLE???

Headed out Sat morning. Riding Sun-Sat, come home Sun. Can't wait.

• 9 months later...

I always use the stats for Camelback (10-12,000 on 125 acres) compared to a "record" day here of 7,000 on 3000 acres. The "record day" would mean a foot or more of fresh on a major holiday, so we rarely hit that.

Whitefish Mountain had more than 7,000 skier visits on Dec. 29, just 23 fewer than the resort's all-time record day in 1994, when buses from Canada were still filling the parking lots.

So, "all time record" was set back in 1994 and still stands.

The least crowded place I've ever visited in terms of skiers per acre was Big Sky Montana and I'm sure Whitefish/The Big Mountain is just as empty except for a couple holiday weeks when the people with the big houses fly in from the west coast...lots of high speed lifts and no people is what it's all about..aside from huge powder days..Jackson Hole is pretty quiet but I've never been there during the Holidays..like most places they probably do 80 percent of their visits on 20 percent of their days..

At a place like Blue or Camelback you really use every acre of terrain weaving the noodle and passing people on the side of the trail...mariokart clusterfuclk madness..Sib u are lucky to live in the Rockies!!!

i just want to say thank you for spelling 'mariokart' correctly. many people do not.

Average number of skiers at Big Sky on any given day is said to be 2000. I can't find published averages for us, but for last year here if I divide the visits by the days open, it was about the same. We have a much much higher number of locals and they have a much higher % of out of state traffic, so it balances out.

• 4 years later...

GSS took lots of video today. Quality over quantity...not in the GSS iPhone handbook. Fun day today...hoping for edge deep powder tomorrow AM. :wiggle

Truth

Keep the info coming...I am hoping to say.."You should be here next week"

Truth

You guys were there a week early, it was killer this week.

Fact

A tranny is just a woman with an asterisk.

Hmmmm

i just want to say thank you for spelling 'mariokart' correctly. many people do not.

Your welcome and anytime!!!