The Big Air Bag

pcc25

Hey, I was up at Blue today and found out that they lifted the ban on inverts on the air bag. Now the ruling is that inverts are not recommended, but you are allowed to do them. I guess they were losing too much money over this rule because most days I was there the bag sat empty. The prices were $10 for 3 jumps or $15 for all day. I spent most of the day there doing pretty much invert imaginable, it was tons of fun. It was super soft to land on no matter how you landed, I would definitely recommend it. I just figured that I would pass this information on.

They have a little shack right next to the airbag where you can purchase tickets and even rent helmets in exchange for a drivers license or cell phone.

Stopped by the shack with my little nephew they said we had to purchase tickets in the lodge. Maybe they just didn't want to work. I'll try again next time.

Thanks

Stopped by the shack with my little nephew they said we had to purchase tickets in the lodge. Maybe they just didn't want to work. I'll try again next time.

Thanks

Really? They were doing that for awhile but I guess they stopped. Sorry about the false information. On a better note, the invert ban was lifted on the entire mountain.

Really? They were doing that for awhile but I guess they stopped. Sorry about the false information. On a better note, the invert ban was lifted on the entire mountain.

That is awesome about inverts being allowed on the entire mountain now. I thought it was just for the airbag, but I heard the other day that it was actually the entire mountain. It is so sweet being able to throw an invert without looking over your shoulders for ski patrol and having the fear of you ticket being taken away. I heard that Barb was losing money on the airbag, and also wondering why central park is usually empty. She talked to some of the people on the mountain about this and figured that it was because of the inverts, especially for the airbag. Also the riders good enough to hit central park, (since it is all urban rails) are going to other mountains because they weren't limited on not being able to do inverts. Barb called the insurance company and changed this basically because she thought she was losing money due to this. The official word on inverts are that they are not recommended and strongly discouraged but the ski patrol can't take your pass away for them. I have thrown a few since this change and ski patrol has not said a thing to me. It's so nice!

They do sell big air bag tickets at that bottom shack, however the guy with key to the money box is not always there so it is hit or miss weather you can actually get tickets there or not.

I talked to Barb last week. It's true. In the middle of our conversation, she expressed concern about why people aren't hitting the Cental Park. She came flat out and said she is thinking about terminating the entire park scene at Blue.

This came directly from Barb's mouth, to my ear. I told her, in my opinion, that would be a major mistake and supported my position. My suggestions were for the park to be moved to another run that had some straight/steep area for a jump line and more room to spread out the features. At this point, she brought up the possibility of creating an additional trail for the park.

I told her that if Blue could clear an area that would be perfect for an advanced park and have a great crew to design, build, and maintain the park, she would get season pass money along with many others.

Let's hope she does the right thing.

Edited by Method

Here's a concept...

Move the Air Bag over to Central Park. Nobody see's it at it's current location on Lower Paradise. You can't see it from the Liftline at the Quad or on the ride up.

Move the Big Air Bag into Central Park, where there's a lot more visibility from the Six-pack, the queue, and the outside deck area by the lodge.

Edited by RootDKJ
  • Like 2

I talked to Barb last week. It's true. In the middle of our conversation, she expressed concern about why people aren't hitting the Cental Park. She came flat out and said she is thinking about terminating the entire park scene at Blue.

This came directly from Barb's mouth, to my ear. I told her, in my opinion, that would be a major mistake and supported my position. My suggestions were for the park to be moved to another run that had some straight/steep area for a jump line and more room to spread out the features. At this point, she brought up the possibility of creating an additional trail for the park.

I told her that if Blue could clear an area that would be perfect for an advanced park and have a great crew to design, build, and maintain the park, she would get season pass money along with many others.

I hope that she isn't serous about terminating the whole park at blue since most kids now are getting into the park, that would be a huge mistake. I really like your suggestions, hopefully she will listen to them. She has made some pretty good changes in the last year or so, lets hope that she keeps it up!

how dope would mainstreet be for a big jump line. right? they should expand the mountain out past lookers left (paradise and what not) and keep mainstreet as the dedicated park lift. jumps on mainstreet, rails on come around is still legit.

just do a bunch of tree work over the summer so mainstreet and come around are more adjacent to each other/straight. jump line to skiers right, rails to skiers left. problem solved.

get rid of ski school at the top (i think they are doing that already?) keep the tow rope. make it a little learning box area.

Edited by AshyToClassy
  • Like 1

big boulder can blow me. theyre not a mountain. its an after school special hangout haha.

blue should utilize some of the land between sidewinder and lazy mile. theres a lot of wasted space goin on there.

and no, the little jump bag should not be moved to central park. those rails are sick. its a good venue for jams, just a dope spot. plus speed would suck and hauling the bag im sure is not one thing anyone likes to do. i think its in a good spot. although that would be another DOPE spot for a rail garden. if theyre not making money off it get rid of it and load it with rails

• Like 1

big boulder can blow me. theyre not a mountain. its an after school special hangout haha.

blue should utilize some of the land between sidewinder and lazy mile. theres a lot of wasted space goin on there.

and no, the little jump bag should not be moved to central park. those rails are sick. its a good venue for jams, just a dope spot. plus speed would suck and hauling the bag im sure is not one thing anyone likes to do. i think its in a good spot. although that would be another DOPE spot for a rail garden. if theyre not making money off it get rid of it and load it with rails

they have a rail garden, Central Park. The issue is that no one is hitting it. I agree that it is a nice set up and all but they are all advanced rails (all urban), most of the people good enough to hit these rails are at other mountains, like Big Boulder, hopefully Blue allowing inverts will attract some down this way, in order to keep the parks going strong. And another note, does every rail need to be urban set up this year, a little variety would be nice!

they have a rail garden, Central Park.

youre right, why would anyone want to improve, change things, or add stuff. silly me. 2 features is not a garden. its just a line.

The issue is that no one is hitting it. I agree that it is a nice set up and all but they are all advanced rails (all urban), most of the people good enough to hit these rails are at other mountains, like Big Boulder, hopefully Blue allowing inverts will attract some down this way, in order to keep the parks going strong. And another note, does every rail need to be urban set up this year, a little variety would be nice!

everytime i go there i NEVER hit anything in whatever that park next to it is. lower terrain run? i always hit central cause that stuff is sick. lower terrain sucks. even for a beginner park.

most of the kids that blew up at boulder arent even there anymore. who skis there now anyway? jackie? maybe megan, nipples quit skiing haha, brogan is in breck being drunk as shit, seany is destroying everything but PA, dom is still killing it i guess. theyre crowd kind of comes in waves you know.

you need to realize having a terrain park in place at a mountain should be run as a system. little, medium, big - and lots of variety. its essentially a training ground. blue doesnt have progression. they just have random features that range in size from small to medium with really inconsistent setups making it difficult to dial in tricks from small to big. the best thing any park can do is just offer everything and have a dedicated hand crew that is in close contact with groomers and management who listens.

really, the way i see it; if you have a park with features in it but no one is hitting them, ask yourself why?

that probably means no one is progressing as well. whats the point. if youre gonna do it , do it right. you know what features work and what dont. you know what people are hitting and what they arent. build your park based off the people who ride it. put events on, get your name out there, then slowly start bringing the level of difficulty up. its not that hard to do things right. you just have to want to do them. which is blues problem.

• Like 1

youre right, why would anyone want to improve, change things, or add stuff. silly me. 2 features is not a garden. its just a line.

everytime i go there i NEVER hit anything in whatever that park next to it is. lower terrain run? i always hit central cause that stuff is sick. lower terrain sucks. even for a beginner park.

most of the kids that blew up at boulder arent even there anymore. who skis there now anyway? jackie? maybe megan, nipples quit skiing haha, brogan is in breck being drunk as shit, seany is destroying everything but PA, dom is still killing it i guess. theyre crowd kind of comes in waves you know.

you need to realize having a terrain park in place at a mountain should be run as a system. little, medium, big - and lots of variety. its essentially a training ground. blue doesnt have progression. they just have random features that range in size from small to medium with really inconsistent setups making it difficult to dial in tricks from small to big. the best thing any park can do is just offer everything and have a dedicated hand crew that is in close contact with groomers and management who listens.

really, the way i see it; if you have a park with features in it but no one is hitting them, ask yourself why?

that probably means no one is progressing as well. whats the point. if youre gonna do it , do it right. you know what features work and what dont. you know what people are hitting and what they arent. build your park based off the people who ride it. put events on, get your name out there, then slowly start bringing the level of difficulty up. its not that hard to do things right. you just have to want to do them. which is blues problem.

I completely agree, well said. Blue definitely needs to set up more for progression. My only point with central park was that it is blues "rail garden" and they see it setting empty most of the time for the reasons you mentioned above. They most likely wont do more trails like that if no one is using them. I would love to see it set up the way you mentioned and properly run. That would be awesome, because if blue wants a good park to attract more of the younger generation they need to do exactly as you said. Have it set up for progression, have it well managed and maintained by people in close contact with groomers and management. I have seen some good changes with blue in the recent years, hopefully we will see these changes in the years to come!

PA just doesnt have enough riders to really warrant a park in the first place. even at boulder, have you been there on a weekend or after school? theres only 5 or 6 kids that hit everything they have to offer anyway and they all come in one big group. so really if you want a successful park that people ride, try to get those groups to come haha.

most people stay in freedom or merry widow whatever its called now. the big stuff at boulder doesnt get much use either, just like at blue. how many people do you see at blue who actually want to progress and not just say "i did it once"

its kind of up to what management wants to have. a good solid park with nothing too difficult and progression can only go so far, or a park where progression is encouraged by the setups they build. theres always different skill levels but one thing pretty much stays the same - gapers.

dont build a park based off what gapers do or dont do. thats not right. theyre gapes haha, what do they know.

plus central park is in a terrible spot for people to even get to that suck at riding. you got to kind of skate over.

the good features in their parks consists of a dub kink after the rainbow C, 40 ft double barrel down rail, a 50 ft flat bar right after it, the stairset and single barrel/down box in central, and the wallride. those are THE only legit rails they have setup.

break it down - those are the big features you got. what can people hit before they try those that are similar? nothing. thats why no one hits them.

• Like 1

I heard that Barb was losing money on the airbag, and also wondering why central park is usually empty. She talked to some of the people on the mountain about this and figured that it was because of the inverts, especially for the airbag. Also the riders good enough to hit central park, (since it is all urban rails) are going to other mountains because they weren't limited on not being able to do inverts. Barb called the insurance company and changed this basically because she thought she was losing money due to this. The official word on inverts are that they are not recommended and strongly discouraged but the ski patrol can't take your pass away for them. I have thrown a few since this change and ski patrol has not said a thing to me. It's so nice!

These two statements seem very contradictory.

the good features in their parks consists of a dub kink after the rainbow C, 40 ft double barrel down rail, a 50 ft flat bar right after it, the stairset and single barrel/down box in central, and the wallride. those are THE only legit rails they have setup.

break it down - those are the big features you got. what can people hit before they try those that are similar? nothing. thats why no one hits them.

bingo! there are four down flat downs right now, all urban. there are five down rails, all urban. the flat down is not in right now, and the only flat rail is in come around, which is out of the way and a pain to get to if you're riding the quad/6pack. change up the top of sidewinder. put the flat down rail back in. get rid of the dumb shit like the picnic table box and the cbow thing; no one except gapers hits them. that rail line up top was spot on when they had 3 sets of 3 features. dumb crap on the left wasting space, but the middle and right line both had fun stuff. one line consisted pretty much of boxes, and the other had rails which mostly mirrored the box setup, e.g. flat down box or flat down rail, down box or down rail, etc. this made it very easy to progress from one to the next, and i know i learned a ton of stuff that way. learn 450 onto the flat down, stick it, and you're 90% there for landing it on the flat down rail; it just makes sense.

also, why are the jumps so tiny now? you almost needed to take speed into them a few weeks ago. now you have to try not to flatbottom and break your ankles. please make them worthy of being in the expert park again. thanks.

• Like 1

i really dont get how they can build such legit stuff sometimes but are baffled when it comes to others...

case in point, the flat rail in come around after tha rainbow. that lip is perfect. built into the rail, urban, cut square, just a prefect all around feature. yet every other lip anywhere on the mountain is not like that...

i really dont get how they can build such legit stuff sometimes but are baffled when it comes to others...

case in point, the flat rail in come around after tha rainbow. that lip is perfect. built into the rail, urban, cut square, just a prefect all around feature. yet every other lip anywhere on the mountain is not like that...

this might be just me, but i hate it when rails are cut into the lip like that. it's like you're wasting a foot or two of rail that you can't slide. maybe this is me being oldschool, picky, whatever, but i like flat rails where the lip is in front of the rail with a little bit of pop and a gap on, and down rails where the lip ends where the rail starts, and the lip is pretty mellow, urban style. boulder's been pretty good about that in the past, til this dumb trend of setting up things low to the ground with no lips started happening. i totally agree with making everything nice and squared off though. every lip should be like that. it looks nice and makes everything look much more professional and 'finished' and it's easier to just when you actually get your pop off the lip.

i like talking about this stuff. i like to build things, i like to ski, and i like to ski things i build...

if they really wanted to save money quit sending danny to cutters camp - thats if theyre paying for it of course. its obiviously not doing anything.

and spending absurd amounts of money on huge features no one hits cause they're not set up right. at least the swingset, bus, down flat down s, sliding board, etc, etc, are all gone. can we add the picnic table to that list?