TR Stowe/Jay Peak 4/9-4/?

DiMe

It was a long ride up 7 hours from house with 2 stops for food and gas. I've never seen it so green up here, there was no snow to be seen anywhere except a few ice chunks that fell off rocks on the side of the road. 100" less snowfall than average this season and it's been almost as warm up here as it's been back at home in the Poconos it's been a weak winter for northern Vermont. I arrived in Stowe around 7 yesterday and checked into the Stowe Motel, they upgraded me to an efficiency with a little kitchen and pantry set for stoke! Picked up some brews and stopped by Town & Country to discuss smart style with GSS.

I got up at 7:30 this morning, it was raining when I went out to pick up some breakfast and a hat I later realized I didn't need to buy since there were 2 hidden behind the seat in my truck :banghead I decided to wait out the rain a bit before heading up to the mountain and finally drove up at 10 when the rain started letting up, there were maybe 5 cars in the parking lot including Doug's subie. Fortunately my friend gave me a 50% off voucher the night before that came in handy when I found out they were charging the full $57 spring rate today. I've never seen Stowe so bare as it is now but there were still plenty of fun to be had on selective areas of the mountain. There were a few nice groomer runs open that were pretty smooth spring corn snow throughout the day that stayed nice since there was no traffic. I didn't take any shots of the well covered groomers.

IMG_0334.JPG

Woods off of Nose Dive

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

Lower Nosedive had quite a few bare spots. Towards the very bottom there were some patches 6" thin to ride across unless you just took the grass route.

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

Some soft bumps on Standard to Gulch, plenty of snow.

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

The lower woods were to thin to ride but a nice place for a beer.

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

All in all it was a great day and I would have been satisfied even if I paid full price. The nosedive woods were the run of the day! Hitting Jay Peak tomorrow and I got the hook ups with another 50% coupon to hit Stowe again Sunday then possibly Jay Monday. JADIP!! :yes

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

Today at Jay was absolutely amazing!! Fresh tracks in the morning off the Tram before it went on wind hold for the rest of the day and fresh to be found in the woods all throughout the day! JADIP :wiggle

I hope you guys are taking plenty of pics at Jay.

Plenty of pics coming soon.

Jay Peak was absolutely incredible today! I woke up pretty early, took a look outside and seen a fresh inch on my windshield and more snow falling got dressed and left for Jay Peak at 8am. As I passed the Town and Country Inn I seen Doug's car was still covered and snow. At 9:30 I pulled into the Tram side parking lot, got my $2 discount for having a Camelback seasons pass and headed for the tram. I waited no more than 5 minutes boarded the tram and was off to the Summit. I ended up at the Bonaventure Quad took that back up and headed over to Tram side since Doug was about 20 min away. We met up and unfortunately didn't make the Tram before it was closed for the day on wind hold. We spent the rest of the day mostly over on the Jet & Bonaventure side since the Flyer is done for the season and the Metro quad only goes a short way up. Around noon it turned from a Cloudy cold day to a bluebird spring afternoon!

Stoke market was rising at an incredible pace as everything turned whiter and whiter in my travels up route 100.

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

Strapping in at the top for my only possible Tram run of the day.

IMG_0381.JPG

Plenty of fresh and windblown fresh from edge to boot deep.

IMG_0382.JPG

Riding up the Bonaventure Quad

IMG_0387.JPG

Cloudy chilly morning

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

Some fresh in the woods off the Haynes from the top of the Jet.

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

Clouds starting to break up and blue sky showing

IMG_0397.JPG

From the Bonaventure quad heading back Tram side. We also hit the woods off to the right for our last run of the day.

IMG_0401.JPG

Headed Tram side

IMG_0402.JPG

Poaching Kitz Woods from the Bonaventure. GREAT DECISION!

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

Last run back to tram side after finding our way out of the Kitz Woods. Doug pointed out a good entry point, thought twice warned me that it may be steep and thin but I wanted to try regardless.

IMG_0424.JPG

On the drive back to Stowe all the snow has melted in the lower elevations. I have never seen Vermont so green the views on the drive back were breathtaking. The Green Mountain State is some beautiful country and Jay Peak is still my favorite mountain in the north east having returned 6 years later. All in all JADIP! :rock

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

Nice pictures Dime....right now I am drinking my 2nd

Jack and coke at the shed brewary...I have to get one of my Atown Buddys a growler of the mountain ale..i have a feeling I am gonna fall asleep hella early.

Good plenty of rest to hit Stowe for some freshies early in the morn :) I'm probably headed to Hyde Park in an hour or two to chill with Chris for a few.

I entered route 22 near the Lehigh Valley mall around 930am on Thursday morning enroute for Stowe. I took 22 east to 33 south to 78 west to 287 north to 87 north. I stopped at a rest stop south of Albany where I bought a slice of sausage pizza and a diet stoke for $6something. I then got off at 787north towards Troy and took 7 east to Bennington the 7 north to Rutland then route 4 east past Killington. Followed by route 100 N then east on something to the Bethel exit on I-89 then north to Waterbury back on 100 north past Ben and Jerrys left-turn on 108...aka the Stowe mountain road to the Town and country resort. I paid $165 for three nights including taxes. My room had a big bed, mini fridge, bottlecap opener and small table with two chairs. Coffee and tissues on demand.

To be continued.............

No...I had poutine and Canadian beer in the cafeteria. I didn't even lock up my skis. Chippy I think you have more Jay Peak days then any PASR. I skied JP a handful of days in college and haven't been back since and Dime hadn't been there since 2004. Anyway Jay is officially gonna be a steezy spring spot for PASRs. Especially with the $2 savings for season passholders from other mountains. To JPs credit tickets for season passholders from other mountains are always $47 so midseason it is a 30 percent savings.

OK...I need to check Tiger Woods Twitter and then back to writing my lengthy TR!!!

I love Jay Peak. It will always hold a special place in my heart...

I also love poutine. :drool

Skiing at Stowe and Jay Peak was just what I needed. I got to ski bumps, trees, fresh snow and hit some mad steezy speeds on empty trails. It was cool driving back to winter for a few days after the summerlike temperatures of last week. Stowe is always a spring skiing staple for me but now Jay Peak is as well..it was nice rediscovering that mountain after about a decade...

I told you Jay is awesome and worth the visit!! I'll be posting my pics from Sunday later tonight. I pretty much just stayed on the same groomers we were on Friday but I ducked the rope on Sunrise several times to explore that way a bit and it had just fine coverage back down to Standard. Nosedive was closed, I'm sure the woods were still GREAT and probably had quite a bit of fresh since they were closed Saturday also but I didn't feel like doing that adventure solo with how worn my legs were from the past two days.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

I had a 50% off voucher and didn't have to drive home Sunday because I was crashing at a friends in Hyde Park for the next couple days I decided to return to Stowe for the last day of their season. I ended up sleeping in and heading up to the mountain after checkout time. The sun was poking through the clouds in town but clouds were hovering over Mt Mansfield all day. My legs were beat up from the past couple days of riding nearly open to close so I opted to stay on the few open groomers. I ducked one rope on Sunrise to find great coverage down to Standard which was run of the day. This was most likely my last day of the season for a total of 63 days 7 short of my goal. It was a great season with a great end in Northern Vermont at Jay & Stowe. B)

Riding up the Quad. The little bit of fresh snow that fell over night made things a bit whiter.

IMG_0442.JPG

Quite foggy at the top until about 1.

IMG_0443.JPG

Lower section of Lord

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

North Slope

IMG_0454.JPG

Sunrise

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

I walked over to the top of the Mountain triple to take a break. There was a nice untouched blanket of fresh snow from the past few nights.

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

Mansfield from the Gondola parking lot.

IMG_0464.JPG

Mansfield from the Spruce Lodge parking lot

IMG_0466.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Jay Peak is still open going strong with this in the forecast. Looks like Jay is the new Beast in the East, Killington is CLOSED.

"* 6 TO 12 INCHES OF HEAVY WET SNOW IS POSSIBLE FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY ACROSS THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS OF THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS AND NORTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS."

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

• 5 months later...