Skierforever: "Ski racing is dying out"

sibhusky

Class 4, eh?  A kiddo.  Isn't that your class, '999?  Looks like he'll give you a run for the money...  :nana

34674[/snapback]

Yeah, we're in the same class, but I wouldn't give his dog a run for the money... :o

1st Place

JohnnyP

1st run 22.61

2nd run 22.77

TL Time 45.38

2nd Place

YOMBOR, CHRIS

3rd Place

Ski999

4the Place

ZAZZERA, BOB

DNF

ALBERO, KEVIN

IND

DNF

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class 4, eh?  A kiddo.  Isn't that your class, '999?  Looks like he'll give you a run for the money...  :nana

34674[/snapback]

And 'Mom take a look at the MC Alumni results from last December...

I think it's great that coaches also race. And that they race that well is all the better. Just as in any sport, I think kids repect and listen to coaches that lead by example. Every one of those CAT guys had something to learn when some, uh, senior guy demolished their times.

Johnny tied Dunston and pulled 87 points in a NJ race. How is that even possible?

(Sorry, Johnny, some longtime race fans---just ignore the talk behind your back)

Sorry, been busy with work the past few days and havent looked at this thread.

As far as management and race programs, well, it's tough to say. One thing I do know is that it is a good thing if someone that sits behind a desk in the general office has special like of racing. I dont think the race programs need to have whole hearted constant support from management, but it does help to have someone who understands the plusses of having a race staff and program that is successful. I dont mean successful in winning and/or the best program around. I mean one that offers the training and benefits to those who are enrolled or to their guests. Other than that I think the laisse-faire attitude is the best. As long as the program has the facilities it needs and the staffing it needs, it needs no other upper management interdiction, except on the special events coordination and just getting certain programs ok'd. It is capable of running independantly of the other depts at a hill and that is a good thing when it comes to managing: who needs another dept to coddle?

One thing management doesnt realize is that the race program brings in a lot of revenue that is uncountable. Remember the cafeteria, the bar ( when it comes to adult racing), the publicity ( if handled right), the surrounding towns economy ( those ski moms and dads have to buy gas somewwhere), equipment and ski shops and other things. Many times management doesnt have to support the coaches or racers financially as much as most people think. At our mountain, the kids buy their GS suits from the ski club and the coaches ( with the exception of the salaried ones) have to pay for their own coaching uniforms. Lift tickets or passes are purchased by the racers and the coaches have to show a certain amount of committment before they are given an employee ski pass. There is almost never paid expenses for coaches education and for away races. The amount I spend each year on traveling, racing and coaching does not make up for the wages I earn from the mountain, but then again if any of us did it for the money, we wouldn't be there very long would we? Thats something I have had to tell people from time to time: "It's not about the money."

34621[/snapback]

Seeing shots like that makes me want to jump back on a pair of skis. Not that I could ever turn a gate like that.

Hey, thanks for the compliments. It's funny, many times parents dont realize that in the midst of these young whipper snappers there are sometimes veterans placing here and there. While racing USSA is fun and challenging as all heck, there are some functional reasons also. It used to be that more of us 'older' crowd raced up north and would obtain low points, this helps the penalty of the local races go down and rounds out the spread, thus helping the kids ( I say kids, but they are young men and women) earn points that will get them a better start position when they go to races up north and other places. Another benefit is that it makes the coach who races remember and know the nuances that are only felt bythe person who steps up tothe starting wand. Too many who coach have forgotten or never knew what it feels like to strip down to the GS suit and pull up to the starting gate: a vital component, in my opinion, to helping understand and pass on what a coach knows and not in the least, being able to use technical and tactical knowledge that is being taught. I am not saying that a coach has to race to understand how and what to coach, but in some cases it is more than an eye opener for the coach and the athletes in translating knowledge and know-how between them. Usually, my USSA races are farther in-between than I would like, but I hope to do more this year and lower my points so that I can lower the penalties at our smaller hills down here in the NJ and PA. Racing and training for my own purposes has helped me greatly in my ability to pass my experience and knowledge on to the athletes I work with. Yes, there are some coaches that poo-poo it, but they would never say it to my face and they cant deny the fact that there is something in what I say. And just like other racers, I can have a bad day at the track...some really bad days too. I have to say that the men and women I work with at MC and ones I have met from PA, Gus P is one of them, understand, support, appreciate it, respect it and full well know how it benefits the athletes. The parents sometimes don't know what to make of it, but a lot of them are happy to see that it isnt over for the 'veterans' and us old geezers still have a few tricks up our sleeve to teach the kids to excell at the sport.

You would get a kick at some of the things I have heard and seen at the races when parents see the birthyear next to name on the start list. Eh, as for the talk behind my back, it's fine, 'there is no bad publicity, as long as they get your name right'. j/k :)

Edited by JohnnyP

PAPA, maybe you should have bought a place at MC.

34708[/snapback]

Maybe I should just move, permanently! :lol USSA points won't matter for my kids until a couple more years. By that time, if thier racing results, attitude and motivation warrant it. I'll turn them over to an academy. All of this stuff is starting to get over my head and starting to take the fun out it.

Johnny P,

What a photo!!!!!!  I'm with pocono - I'm inspired.  Can an adult who's never raced before learn to do that?  I would love to be able to make a turn with my body that close to the ground.

34710[/snapback]

Easy. Just take a regular pic of yourself and rotate it about 80 degrees clockwise. :rofl

Yeah, we're in the same class, but I wouldn't give his dog a run for the money... :o

1st Place

JohnnyP

1st run  22.61

2nd run 22.77

TL Time 45.38

Ski999

DNF

ALBERO, KEVIN

IND

DNF

You are a riot. Love the DNF, added for gusto...

Each oif my runs would be about his total time.

Hey Johnny, what do you do to cross train?

You are a riot. Love the DNF, added for gusto... 

Each oif my runs would be about his total time.

34725[/snapback]

Hey, I didn't add the DNF...it was a cut and paste. That's my camp roommate, btw---you know him. He'd probably kill me for posting that. But I DNF'd at the second slalom there, so I guess it's okay.

Not to answer for Johnny, but my 2 cents NJSkifamily: I sometimes race with a guy in his 60's that runs a single digit NASTAR handicap. He also races in a league and is competitive with USSA racers. He began skiing in his 40's.

Adult racing is a journey and it takes patience and commitment. We may kid about wanting people like Bartek and Johnny to be in other age classes, but it really makes no difference. It's absolutely inspiring to watch those guys bust out of the start house. The journey is a learning process and it's easier to learn with people like them around.

As I'd said in an earlier thread, I finished fourth in my age class last season, but have no illusions that I can beat the 10 guys I finished in front of...or maybe it's 15 guys. I just had some decent runs on days when they weren't there.

But I have a blast racing. I like most of the people I race with and feel good about the fact that I'm a little faster every time out.

All of this stuff is starting to get over my head and starting to take the fun out it.

Papa: put $10 in the boy's pockets and drop them off in time to make first run with their team each Sat/Sun.

Try to remember to pick them up at 3pm.

No worries. Fun will happen.

And 'Mom take a look at the MC Alumni results from last December...

I think it's great that coaches also race. And that they race that well is all the better. Just as in any sport, I think kids repect and listen to coaches that lead by example. Every one of those CAT guys had something to learn when some, uh, senior guy demolished their times.

Johnny tied Dunston and pulled 87 points in a NJ race. How is that even possible?

(Sorry, Johnny, some longtime race fans---just ignore the talk behind your back)

34702[/snapback]

C.A.T :wub: Randy detrick :wiggle

ski999

Its the patience part that I predict I will have a problem with. We think as we get older that we get smarter and we can use our wits to overcome our physical shortcomings.

But now I know exactly what I want to learn in all my ski lessons this winter.

And there's nothing better than racing as a family as you'll always have a cheering section waiting for you at the bottom. Even when you're having an off day.

I messaged him once and asked him to join over here.  He seems to like the attention.  Lets all message him at once.  hahahahaa

34781[/snapback]

Please, NO, unless you put him on the BAN list immediately.