Skierforever: "Ski racing is dying out"

sibhusky

Internet friend? The negative connotation of that odd phrase aside, I fully accept your half-hearted apology.

So we're cool.

Consider this, DH: I'm no fan of snowboarding or jibbers, yet some of my best buds do both. The best ski racer in the world is Bode Miller and I'm no fan of his. Not that you're terribly interested, but I come at it from a parent/coach view: I root for athletes that set a good example and have a good work ethic. I'm sure that sounds old and boring to you, but it won't when you have kids, or coach a team.

Athletes that show up at events and get sh*tfaced drunk and have to be removed by security (Danny Kass) are just as bad as athletes that go on camera doing shots the night before a competition/race (Bode Miller).

That's my opinion.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are times when laying into someone is fine and cool and they have been asking for it; like every day that skierforever says anything. He's a cranky old brownie hound that gets off on being hated. It makes him feel important.

Don't disrespect brownie hounds like that. :nono

What's a brownie hound?  Sorry, just not up on things.

34380[/snapback]

aka, chicken hawk...

I thought this was an interesting quote from Josh Berman the Level One freestyle film guy..

BH: what is your favorite to do? It?s your dream set up.

JB: lol, ummmmm?

BH: (and yes it does come with the hot tub and Swedish bikini models)

JB: ok, shooting a super dope, freshly groomed Nastar course with Johnny Moseley, Bode Miller, and Alberto Tomba in Sunday River, ME. After they kill it, Simon Dumont rolls up in his Caddy, and we all go party it up with him and his ladies back in Bethel, then play laser tag at the arcade. That would be ideal.

Omg, I have raced out west and found that there are cliches of racers at certain mountains that wouldn't spit on me if I was burning to death. They have treated me the same as they have treated other non-racers types. From experience, I have to say that the bigger the mountain, the bigger the attitude and they don't reserve their contempt for non-racers. But I have also been to many mountains and had problems with riders that do the same thing, the difference is that they will spit on you even if you aren't burning to death, literally. Neither group is a representative of the whole. I think we can all agree that certain people aren't representatives of a group and just like in everyday life, I guess we should all remember that judging a group by the actions of one or a few is not a sound generalization. We all fall into that hole sometimes: all of us. What we can be upset about are the people who are not accommodating to each other: the person who feels that racing isn't worth sh** cause it ties up a trail for a few hours and the person who feels that the halfpipe and park should be leveled cause it takes up the part of the hill that 'they' think can be used better for something else. If this is to be the case, then what of the beginners area near the base, should we rant that they shouldn't get a special area to practice and insist that it should be deleted from the hill. Offensive and selfish people are everywhere and I think thats what we are talking about. If someone gets cut off by a rider, then they are down on boarders, if someone gets cut off by a racer, then all racers are schmucks, don't fall for that reasoning.

As a side note, many times for race training, the whole trail is not roped off. The ski area management insists that a 'lane' be created for training so that the public be able to use the other half the slope. This is especially true for smaller ski areas. Still there are people who moan that we have no place and reason to be there. I have been at the top of a roped off section and had people look at me and then duck the rope, when I inform them politely that the section of trail they are accessing is closed for training they become very aggressive and nasty. I have had people (public) say some of the most insulting things and take their frustrations out on me for saying "I'm sorry sir/maam, this part of the trail is closed for the time being , it will be open by a certain time". I have found that it's human nature to want to be upset about something. Many times people will look for a reason to rant. You would not believe what some people have done, I have seen mothers and fathers try to start physical comfrontations with people who ask them to not duck the rope. I think that it is also human nature to be upset that 'they' are not supposed to go down a trail that others have access too. I think what goes thru their mind is that they feel that they are not seen as good enough. One of the most numerous responses is 'Well, I see others going down the trail, why cant I?'

Ehh, I'm rambling now. I think we can all agree that to judge a group on the actions of a few is not cool. The next time a racer or rider cops an attitude with you for no good reason, just remember they are a jerks and move on. Also remember, on those days when there is little recreational skiing going on, the weather is bad or the snow is marginal, the ones who are funneling the money into the sport are the ones that are in the pipe and on the race hill. When the rec crowd had packed up their gear for the season and is thinking of going to the beaches, those riders and racers are still out there making the most of the sport.

Sorry guys, I've gone in about a hundred directions and digressed completely. If u want to take me to the cleaners, go ahead it's no skin off my back. I'll be out there anyway. If you see me or my friends on the hill, ask us about what we do, strike up a conversation and you might be surprised at the way things go.

Also remember, on those days when there is little recreational skiing going on, the weather is bad or the snow is marginal, the ones who are funneling the money into the sport are the ones that are in the pipe and on the race hill.

When the rec crowd had packed up their gear for the season and is thinking of going to the beaches, those riders and racers are still out there making the most of the sport.

34395[/snapback]

HEY CB --- Are you listening????? 50 CAT team racers represented at one 2 hour meeting on sunday= minimum of 75k in family passes and added support sitting in that room and management doesn't have the decency to show up and say thanks.. WHats up with that?

Sorry, I had to jump on your wagon!!! :rock

HEY CB ---  Are you listening?????  50 CAT team racers represented at one 2 hour meeting on sunday= minimum of 75k in family passes and added support sitting in that room and management doesn't have the decency to show up and say thanks..  WHats up with that? 

34401[/snapback]

Hey, Pops, you are on the wrong website. This should be posted at the Cb site.

Anyone know whats going on with that anyway? I heard that it was gonna be $200 more for each person, for each pass...And early on mt. access would be on the stevenson side...

Edit: Almost forgot...if they don't get 400 people to do it, then they are not gonna have it...

Edited by skidude

HEY CB ---  Are you listening?????  50 CAT team racers represented at one 2 hour meeting on sunday= minimum of 75k in family passes and added support sitting in that room and management doesn't have the decency to show up and say thanks..  WHats up with that? 

34401[/snapback]

Could one of the Administration start a new thread please, Title it however you see fit. I would like to hear from racers at other mountains to see if this kind of thing is common place:rock

Hey, Pops, you are on the wrong website.  This should be posted at the Cb site.

34413[/snapback]

I'll add to my original posting requesting their patronage soon enough... :devil:

haha yeah right, how did your kids like it papa?

34415[/snapback]

Very cool - it made it feel like the season has officially started for us. Steezemachine is now a member of the CAT team too. He is pumped and has the motivation to get an official FS Team possibly started, if he doesnt get kicked off the team for being incorrigible first :lol:

Anyone know whats going on with that anyway?  I heard that it was gonna be $200 more for each person, for each pass...And early on mt. access would be  on the stevenson side...

34423[/snapback]

There was a detailed mailing about it. You should have got it. It is a joke in my opinion. But I dunno, I am sure that some will see value in it. I personally don't.

I assume Gus was there and they feel he represents the mountain.

Our ski area never comes to OUR meetings. They also don't come to the board meetings. Individual board members may meet with the CEO in a one on one, but these are guys have "have a relationship" with the CEO. We don't want some parent who is only privy to some rumor going off half-cocked and pissing the guy off.

Edited by sibhusky

Gus was there, and props to him for suggesting that steeze could be the start of a FS team. I am new to the dynamics of all of this, but I also feel strongly that I come into all this with a fresh viewpoint and the confidence to see....... ah... nevermind..

Ok - I tried some diplomacy in the form of questions to general users of that board.

http://ridecamelback.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=22153#22153

34449[/snapback]

Good work. That should get the point across. I'm thinking their perception is that the program costs them more in trails and instructor time/effort than it brings in.

Some of the CB racedads I've skied with would bring CB 50k, easily, just in their bar bill...