Skierforever: "Ski racing is dying out"

sibhusky

People complain when a slope is roped off for a race, just the same as people complain when they can't fly a kite at their local park because there's a little league game going on.

34204[/snapback]

Except you don't drop $35+ a day to play in the park. Racing happens, I'm the last to complain about it, but I can understand people's frustration. Especially in this area where trails are limited in numbers anyways. Fortunately none of my favorite "sweet spots" are used for races at CB. I suppose cliffy has a race on it at some point, but it hasn't bothered me yet.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, yes,.... this is THE JohnnyP. What's up everyone? Thanks for the compliments. Small world isn't it? As a general rule I kind of let a lot slip when posting on forums and boards, it's not usually graded: run on sentences are something that I love as well as writing as if it were a verbal discussion, I think I conveyed the general idea though. Anyhooo.... I didnt see where our favorite CC member posted originally, just the start of this thread.

Except you don't drop $35+ a day to play in the park. Racing happens, I'm the last to complain about it, but I can understand people's frustration. Especially in this area where trails are limited in numbers anyways. Fortunately none of my favorite "sweet spots" are used for races at CB. I suppose cliffy has a race on it at some point, but it hasn't bothered me yet.

34208[/snapback]

You could just as well argue you pay taxes and you can fly your kite in any park you d@mn well please.

Hmmm sounds like a good idea, ill be back later :nana

Lol, yes,.... this is THE JohnnyP. What's up everyone? Thanks for the compliments. Small world isn't it? As a general rule I kind of let a lot slip when posting on forums and boards, it's not usually graded: run on sentences are something that I love as well as writing as if it were a verbal discussion, I think I conveyed the general idea though. Anyhooo.... I didnt see where our favorite CC member posted originally, just the start of this thread.

34211[/snapback]

skierforever is a famous poster on the Camelback board. Basically, he hates all racers.

34208[/snapback]

People have complained that they pay $5000 in property taxes to have us on THEIR soccer fields when they want to fly a kite and our 16 kids are in the way.

You could just as well argue you pay taxes and you can fly your kite in any park you d@mn well please.

Hmmm sounds like a good idea, ill be back later :nana

34212[/snapback]

Uh oh, when I start sounding like 'Dude.... :no

AND, I know how fast JohnnyP is 'cause he's my age; there's no other similarity in our skiing beyond that...

Edited by ski999

I see your point, but with property taxes, you come another day, with the mountain (at least for day passers) you either get to ski a trial or not.

Again, it's not the strongest in the world, but understand where they are coming from thats all...

I wasn't talking about his grammar or spelling.  The fact that he completely missed the topic was annoying.  That, in addition to him bashing someone he doesn't even know, saying he's not a "true competitor," regardless of his consistant podium placement.  But hey, if you're not pumping iron and charging gates I guess you're not a real athlete.

It's guys like JohnnyP that give ski racing a bad name.

34283[/snapback]

Hey, DH, I remember everyone on MC's old RSN message board slamming DK as being a total *sshole and Prima Donna. It was the local kid's words. THEY said he treated them like he was a god and too important for them.

I don't know or care about Kass, but it sounds like JohnnyP was just saying the same thing as all the boarders at MC. How does that reflect back on a great racer like Johnny? He's one of the most giving and capable race coaches in the northeast. And he puts his skis where his mouth is and smokes courses better than most USSA kids.

Seems to me that DK's gets off on a bad boy image. So why bash anyone for calling him on his dopey antics?

Seems to me that DK's gets off on a bad boy image. So why bash anyone for calling him on his dopey antics?

34289[/snapback]

I don't care if you call him a dick, but don't say he isn't a talented athlete or a skilled competetor. That's ridiculous.

Also, this made me laugh;

You know we are sorry that your favorite trail is closed down for training and/or a race. Too bad. Just like the Football players play on a playing field, our playing field is on the slopes.

34197[/snapback]

You dont want the trail or ski hill closed to Mt Bikers and racers, you want the whole thing to yourself.

34197[/snapback]

Edited by DHarrisburg

DH: we have to respect Danny Kaas? If someone acts like an *sshole and represents a sport by belittling up and coming kids, then to hell with him. I don't look up to arrogant pissants. Do you? If Kass is as bad as the MC kids say, then he's a terrible influence and lousy example. I don't feel compelled to respect a talented athlete if he's an overall d*ck. I wouldn't want Manny Ramirez on my baseball team. I wouldn't want Randy Moss on my football team. Not worth the bullsh*t.

If someone has a negative opinion of Kass, then they are entitled to that opinion.

And when a slope is closed for a race, then tough crap. They close slopes for slopestyles and skier/boarder crosses...so what? Pipes are closed for comps and so what?

What exactly do we disagree on?

Edited by ski999

What exactly do we disagree on?

34292[/snapback]

We don't diagree on anything, it's just that I can look past a person's personal life or attitude and respect the fact that they are an outstanding athlete.

Also, I'm not complaining that they close trails for races, I just find it funny that JohnnyP belittles people who want to enjoy their activities without outside interruptions while he insists on having his own private trails because that's his "playing field." It's hilariously hypocritical and a good example of why racers are disliked so much outside of the race world.

We don't diagree on anything, it's just that I can look past a person's personal life or attitude and respect the fact that they are an outstanding athlete.

Also, I'm not complaining that they close trails for races, I just find it funny that JohnnyP belittles people who want to enjoy their activities without outside interruptions while he insists on having his own private trails because that's his "playing field."

Edited by ski999

If you ever met this guy that is so "hilariously hypocritical", you'd find a really cool guy that everyone BUT YOU likes.

34298[/snapback]

Woah, who's putting words in other people's mouths now? I never said I didn't like him, hell, I don't even know him. All I know is that he doesn't think Kass (or other "stupid" snowboarders) is a true athlete or competitor. I think you just got your panties in a bunch because you figured out I don't like most ski racers.

Why?  I don't remember hearing this from you in the past.  Was this from your days at Camelback or has this started since you moved to Mammoth?

34314[/snapback]

Mammoth. It might be due to the fact that 75% of the Mammoth racers are from the LA area, but when I worked lifts there were the #1 pain in the ass if I worked anywhere near the race course. I'd rather work the park chair any day than work a race. There's a ton of other things that contribute to my dislike of racing (yes, I don't like snowboarding racing either), but honestly I'm not going to go into it here because I've already pissed enough people off. I'll just leave it at this: I'm sure there are a ton of racers who are nice and polite and follow all the rules, but in my experiences I haven't run across too many of them. And before some of you start chomping at the bit, I know this also describes alot of snowboarders for you, too.

words

34316[/snapback]

I really am confused as to what you're trying to argue. All I've said is that Kass (along with the rest of the snowboard competition circuit) is a skilled athlete and a formidable competitor. You're the one who's been ranting about how you read on the internet that he's a dick. hay guys I read somewhere that Bodie Miller didn't sign an autograph while he was loading a lift god what an asshole!!! I'm really not quite sure what you want me to apologize for: voicing my opinion or indirectly saying I don't like your preferred winter sport.

Mammoth.  It might be due to the fact that 75% of the Mammoth racers are from the LA area, but when I worked lifts there were the #1 pain in the ass if I worked anywhere near the race course.  I'd rather work the park chair any day than work a race.  There's a ton of other things that contribute to my dislike of racing (yes, I don't like snowboarding racing either), but honestly I'm not going to go into it here because I've already pissed enough people off.  I'll just leave it at this: I'm sure there are a ton of racers who are nice and polite and follow all the rules, but in my experiences I haven't run across too many of them.

So maybe it's racers at Mammoth. And I would say it probably flows back to their coach's attitude about "attitude". If the coach gave them royal hell for treating the lifties badly, I suspect they would behave better. Of course, I know nothing about LA kids.

I really am confused as to what you're trying to argue.

There are times when laying into someone is fine and cool and they have been asking for it; like every day that skierforever says anything. He's a cranky old brownie hound that gets off on being hated. It makes him feel important.

Then there are times that someone vouches for a newbie that absolutely doesn't deserve to be given sh*t.

But it just sounds like you shouldn't work lifts anymore. Too many people p*ss you off and it's making you a hater.

When you're 60, do you wanna be just like skierforever?