Guns on at Hunter

Ride Delaware ?

Hunter finally manned up and turned the guns on... Guns were on mid mountain to summit at about 9:30... They have since turned on guns at the base... For those of you who want some good terrain closer to home, check it out this weekend... I'm sure they will have 15 plus trails by Saturday... If you want less crowds, go to Belleayre... But not as much terrain...

Yeah, I know it sounds optimistic, but I was there day after opening day last year and they went from 11 trails at open to 30 by close, so I wouldn't count them out on anything... Especially since a bunch of those trails off the peak are just little connectors to that main run that they are blowing on now...

11:15 and guns are already off at the base of hunter... Probably start them back up early afternoon when temps start to drop...

Root, do you know if they replaced the old west side quad with the old high speed that was replaced with the 6 pack? I know there were rumors of rebuilding it and moving it over there, but they haven't updated their trail map and I can't find anything on it...

11:15 and guns are already off at the base of hunter... Probably start them back up early afternoon when temps start to drop...

Root, do you know if they replaced the old west side quad with the old high speed that was replaced with the 6 pack? I know there were rumors of rebuilding it and moving it over there, but they haven't updated their trail map and I can't find anything on it...

I heard that the old High Speed Quad will be rebuilt and installed on the West Side for NEXT year. However it will be converted from a high-speed detachable quad to a fixed grip quad.

I figure I ought to chime in since it's my home mountain.

-6-pack replaced the quad and is ready to go, it also shortens the ride time by a minute or so (6.5 to 5.5)

-The old HSQ is being changed over to fixed grip and is going to replace the Y double on the West Side for next year. The base terminal will be a couple hundred feet lower, so you can get to it easily from Clair's and Wayout.

Now then. If any of you watched Windham's webcam yesterday and saw it go from white to mud with two blobs of snow left, it's pretty obvious that they made the right move not wasting $$$ before. (And I'm in Binghamton at the moment, it was 60F and we got 3in of rain, they had similar).

I don't quite get the "separation of trails" comment, the really wide area midmountain is the only spot where it's like that, and Hellgate + Cliff are the only two trails that feed into it. Generally, the people who don't like Hunter are intermediates and the experts that hate moguls.

Anyway, they're making good progress, I'd expect they'll open Sat, you'll probably see Belt Pkwy for Monday (maybe Tuesday), and by next weekend they'll probably have almost all of the main face + Way Out open.

To conclude my overly long post, here's 6 hours later from the morning picture above.

148402_477856683009_777378009_5671506_4450094_n.jpg

• Like 2

I was at Hunter on opening day last year, I clearly remember the lift breaking down 3 chairs after I got off at the top. It was also my last run for the day. The lift line was off the charts when I got to the bottom. I laughed and laughed and......

The ever growing lift line

Waiting a half hour in the ticket line so they can wait an hour in the lift line

Current photo (24 hours of snowmaking) from DMC at AlpineZone:

IMG_17831.JPG

I expect that they'll probably be able to open late on Saturday.

Also, they've got a fairly cool video up their blog, they have a very interesting physical plant....1700hp 90 year old water pump, and a lot of other 50+ year old ex-mining compressors and pumps.

Edited by millerm277

Hunter started blowing later than Blue but will be open earlier...props to Hunter..

It's gonna be the run that u see the snowguns on and maybe Belt Parkway...and I'm not down to travel for WROD..already got my WROD quota 4 weeks ago at K-mart

Pa is a constant WROD what the fuck are you talking about.

Now then. If any of you watched Windham's webcam yesterday and saw it go from white to mud with two blobs of snow left, it's pretty obvious that they made the right move not wasting $$$ before. (And I'm in Binghamton at the moment, it was 60F and we got 3in of rain, they had similar).

Windham opening today Fri. 12/3/10 at 2:00 pm with 50 cent lift tickets... I'm not so sure that web cam was representative of a total meltdown with possible retention of base on the upper half of the mountain.

Hunter Mountain 6-Pack (left) vs. Blue Mountains 6 (right).

Pic on left is 4 snowmakers riding up on Hunters new 6-pack... looks to me like it's going to be a very tight fit with 6 people unless those snowmaker guys are huge.

bm6pack-1.jpg

I don't think the fuckheads at Hunter are any worse than the fuckheads at Blue...Philly assholes vs NY/NJ assholes.....pretty equal..

Skiing both, I agree. I think Hunter's got an advantage, because talk as they might, they don't seem to have the skills to go to Hunter West much. Honestly though, there really isn't that much problem the past few years.

And obviously, midweek anywhere is awesome.

Anyway, they're opening tomorrow, ton of snow being laid down and the guns are on on Belt Pkwy and being turned on Minya Konka. They'll probably be at 80%+ open by next weekend.

Hunter Mountain 6-Pack (left) vs. Blue Mountains 6 (right).

Pic on left is 4 snowmakers riding up on Hunters new 6-pack... looks to me like it's going to be a very tight fit with 6 people unless those snowmaker guys are huge.

bm6pack-1.jpg

blue's 6pack can fit 6 easily and comfortably. and don't think that 7 have never been aboard. the lift nazis can't catch everything.

Sorry for one last bump, but holy shit...8 days of snowmaking and look at the trail report. :blink: They've gone from a brown mountain to opening 90%+ of the main face in 8 days, with only White Cloud and Lower K-27 closed. (Mad Box is not a trail, it's a 100ft long connector).

And they're still making snow, in places that don't even usually get snowmaking...E lift, Highlands, and 42nd St.