tips for a day at elk

krs1pitt

Going up to elk for the first time ever new years day and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on what to hit up (tree runs, best trails, safety meeting locations, etc). Usually ski frost but after a weekday at blue last week, I would like to start the new year with some nice long runs.

Going up to elk for the first time ever new years day and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on what to hit up (tree runs, best trails, safety meeting locations, etc). Usually ski frost but after a weekday at blue last week, I would like to start the new year with some nice long runs.

lap the quad all day. thats where most of the best runs are. thats only my opinion though.

Start on the West side (Lenape) then try every trail heading East. Everything is open except Lehigh, which is only open when there is enough natural snow. All the trails are in great shape, and offer a variety of cruisers and more challenging runs. Tree skiing is a definite no-no and your ticket will be pulled if caught. There really isn't enough natural snow anyway. Peace time is wherever you can get off the trails and hide behind a tree or two. Don't miss "the Indians" on the East side (Tuscurora, Iroquois; beginnning to bump up, and Mohawk). Slalom is the site of the race team run and is very good too. The runs on the West side are longer than the East side. Have a Bloody Mary at the bar, Delores makes a great one (although you get olives, not celery). Get there early to beat the crowds, which usually show up around 10:30. Even when crowded the lines shouldn't be too bad.

Don't take Rummys seat at the bar...and get there early so you don't have to take the people mover..

My seat will not be occupied be me, gotta work :angry: But it will probably be occupied by a couple of my friends who are there this weekend for New Years Eve. This(holiday)week you'll have to take the Elk Wagon, security is only allowing pass holders into the upper parking lots.

Oops, I was thinking your were going up today..I will be there tomorrow, but will probably be at TLCITW watching the PSU game after 1:00.

Edited by rummy

Here's another tip or two, I would not boot up in the parking lot if you don't have a lot of stuff to drag. After getting off the Elk Wagon, the lodge is only a short walk away, you'll pass the ticket window and at 8:00 you shouldn't have a line. So, get your tickets then boot up at your leisure. Also, if you want some breakfast or coffee etc. the cafeteria serves some good stuff cheap.

All the advice above looks great. The key to Elk (or any mountain)is GET THERE FOR OPENING! It's the best two hours of skiing you'll do in PA on nice fresh cord. Head staight to the west side trails. There's more trails over there and you'll have more runs on fresh groomed trails. The line for the double is always shorter than the line for the quad on that side. Oh, and don't forget your camera like I did today at Sno. Look forward to your impressions.

The most under appreciated point of Elk is the almost 360 degree view from the summit. If you hike up to the true summit where the radio towers are, you get a full 360 view of the surrounding area. On a clear day, you can see weather and storm fronts rolling in, cloud layers, and snow squalls. There are very few places in the state where you can see these things so clearly.

The view is so panoramic that its hard to capture on one photo.

The most under appreciated point of Elk is the almost 360 degree view from the summit. If you hike up to the true summit where the radio towers are, you get a full 360 view of the surrounding area. On a clear day, you can see weather and storm fronts rolling in, cloud layers, and snow squalls. There are very few places in the state where you can see these things so clearly.

The view is so panoramic that its hard to capture on one photo.

Definitely. Every time I've skied at Elk, I've found myself spending extra time at the top...basically just looking around.

• 4 weeks later...

Heading up to elk the friday before superbowl weekend.

can anyone tell me about the mid mountain lodge? or is it more of a picnic area?

also i am bringing my three kids, ages 6-10 all good skiers/boarders.

but i could not decifer how much childrens lift tickets would cost from their website.

Heading up to elk the friday before superbowl weekend.

can anyone tell me about the mid mountain lodge? or is it more of a picnic area?

also i am bringing my three kids, ages 6-10 all good skiers/boarders.

but i could not decifer how much childrens lift tickets would cost from their website.

im not sure about a mid mountain lodge?

but as for the kids, an open (8:30) to close (10) ticket is $47 for children ages 6-12 and $43 for an 8:30 to 4 ticket.

The "Midmountain Lodge" is a picnic lodge. There is a circular fireplace on one end and picnic tables in the main area. It's on skiers left of the West Slope. You may want to check it out but the main lodge won't be crowded on a weekday.

Go to the skipa.com deals webpage and print out 4 coupons to save $5.00 each on lift tickets.

Have fun and let us know what you think of Elk

the picnic lodge area sounds like a really cool spot on a warmer day.

we always bring our own lunch. how do you get food and drinks to the picnic area?

thanks for the info already provided.

i skied at elk only once about 10 years ago, always skied camelback back then (pre kids)

we have been going to JF for the last several years

the picnic lodge area sounds like a really cool spot on a warmer day.

we always bring our own lunch. how do you get food and drinks to the picnic area?

thanks for the info already provided.

i skied at elk only once about 10 years ago, always skied camelback back then (pre kids)

we have been going to JF for the last several years

Generally, you can drive up to the mid lodge to drop off food and gear, then park you're car in the lower lots. Depending on when you go, sometimes the parking lot guys will ask for your driver's license to go up there to make sure you bring your car back down.

• 2 weeks later...