Marker bindings for small people

Timeless

All,

I have an urgent question as I think the local ski shop is trying to squeeze more cash out of me. We are buying our daughter her first skis at age 4 and she obviously needs a very low DIN setting. In the store they showed us some very nice marker bindings and my first reaction was "i already have some of those on my sons ski's". They are the very same model, 2 years old one season very light use. They agreed that they could use them but now 2 days later I've just got a call from them saying that "this type of binding doesn't release properly at very low DIN settings but they have some salomon ones that do"

The Marker spec says they support down to 29lb's (she's 39lb's without ski gear)

Are they just ripping me off?

Thanks

This is the manufacturers description

Marker M 4.5 EPS Youth Bindings Marker M 4.5 EPS Ski Bindings (74mm Brakes) Youth 2011: Marker builds every junior binding with the same high standards of protection and performance as their adult bindings, adapted to junior proportions and requirements. The Marker M 4.5 EPS has a redesigned heel, reducing the weight of the steel track. Biotech

Get a second opinion from another shop. If you get the same answer, the guys are legit. If it's different, the other shop would LOVE to pick up a new customer in you. Also, no shop wants the liability of setting up a dangerous binding. The 2nd shop will not say yes to a dangerous binding.

maybe PM Justo? he works at a shop and might be able to chime in...

This is kinds where I was getting at with the posting the model number, as I figured he'd see the post and be able to help.

Justo will more than likely help, he has helped me with stuff in the past.

to my knowledge, the m4.5/m450 is the lowest DIN binding that marker makes. that's what we put on pretty much every kids ski that leaves the shop these days unless they're heavy enough for the m7.0/tyrolia SL70. i don't know off the top of my head what your daughter's DIN should be, but the m4.5 goes down to .75, which should be low enough for any kid who's strong enough to stand up on their own two skis.

• Like 1

thanks for the feedback so far, i talked to the technician and he claims this is an issue with the marker bindings that on less than 1.5 din there is not enough pressure to re center the boot in the binding when you twist it, according to them, marker knows about this but cant fix it, anyone think this is feasible?

thanks for the feedback so far, i talked to the technician and he claims this is an issue with the marker bindings that on less than 1.5 din there is not enough pressure to re center the boot in the binding when you twist it, according to them, marker knows about this but cant fix it, anyone think this is feasible?

logically, it kind of makes sense, but i really can't see how they'd be allowed to have that binding on the market if it doesn't test out accurately through the entire DIN range, although elasticity isnt really tested in a binding check. i generally prefer other bindings to marker (at least the twin cam toe) for that reason specifically. the bulk of the toe piece actually slides before your boot can release, as opposed to just the wings of the toe pivoting like most other bindings on the market. now that you explained it, i can see why he'd recommend the salomon binding over the marker in this case, if that is in fact an issue with the marker.

• Like 2

logically, it kind of makes sense, but i really can't see how they'd be allowed to have that binding on the market if it doesn't test out accurately through the entire DIN range, although elasticity isnt really tested in a binding check. i generally prefer other bindings to marker (at least the twin cam toe) for that reason specifically. the bulk of the toe piece actually slides before your boot can release, as opposed to just the wings of the toe pivoting like most other bindings on the market. now that you explained it, i can see why he'd recommend the salomon binding over the marker in this case, if that is in fact an issue with the marker.

thanks, i still dont see how they can offer the same binding the previous day and then suddenly its a "known problem" but i haven't any history with this shop so i have no reference point to judge this against. as you said, i dont see how marker could sell this with a known issue for small people, a quick web search finds no mention of any issue.

unfortunately safety has to prevail so it seems i'm shelling out for another set of bindings.

I heard about this a few years ago, my recollection is marker got sued by some dude in Colorado but I can't remember what happened.

There is a problem mechanically with springs when they are used at the lowest end of their settings, I don't know a whole lot about markers as I believe they are better used for door stops but the upper level models have a different forward pressure system than comparable solly's.

The bigger thing is if god forbid something did happen do you want that kind of shit on your gourd, it could have nothing to do with the binding but still that thought would be in your head.

Its like my uncle said about fixing his three legged cat, every time I thought about seeing Mindy Mindy Mindy rocking three legs it would just remind me of how cheap I am.

The bigger thing is if god forbid something did happen do you want that kind of shit on your gourd, it could have nothing to do with the binding but still that thought would be in your head.

Its like my uncle said about fixing his three legged cat, every time I thought about seeing Mindy Mindy Mindy rocking three legs it would just remind me of how cheap I am.

Yep, that just about sums it up, I'll be paying for new bindings (again) but there's just an underlying feeling with most shops that deal with stuff for your kids, that they prey on that sentiment and use it to make sure you buy everything over and over again "just in case".

i've heard people toss around the whole spring tension thing for many, many years, but i've never gotten a firm answer on it. i ride a 6-14 DIN binding and have my DIN at 9-10, so i'm pretty safely in the dead center of the DIN range if there's any truth the the outer limits of the spring not releasing as accurately. some techs swear by it, others think it's a load of crap. i'd love to be able to read something affirmative either way.

i've heard people toss around the whole spring tension thing for many, many years, but i've never gotten a firm answer on it. i ride a 6-14 DIN binding and have my DIN at 9-10, so i'm pretty safely in the dead center of the DIN range if there's any truth the the outer limits of the spring not releasing as accurately. some techs swear by it, others think it's a load of crap. i'd love to be able to read something affirmative either way.

I've had whole classes on springs...I'd be more worried about the low end not functioning properly then the upper end, but then again, I don't know what type of spring designs they use in bindings, so it's hard to say.

The final irony in this tale, making up my mind about the jokers in this shop. I get a call this morning from the tech, this being the day we are supposed to pick the stuff up before heading to Squaw tomorrow.

"Hello, Mr xxxxx, I am sorry but there's a bit of a problem with the bindings we recommended, we don't have any. We can put a rush order on them and they might be here by Monday, is that OK?"

Then after I explained my situation quite clearly, came the kicker:

"Well, I suppose we could fit the marker bindings if you are really in a hurry......"

At this point I drove to REI, bought some "suitable" rossi bindings, took them to the store and insisted that they fit and adjust/ test them on the spot. Blasted the shop manager and got the fitting fee dropped and a 10% discount on the ski's and boots.

Won't be going there again......

• Like 1