Do Helmets prevent concussions?

iroyt1

This is a carry over from another thread. Anyone who wants to chime in please do so but keep it strictly to facts supported by evidence based on first hand knowledge. No hearsay, opinion or emotions allowed. Thank you.

• Like 1

concussions? maybe.

Keeping this to snowboard helmets rather than others (motorcycles for example) where the dynamics are different, I am pretty sure that the rock that punctured the shell of my Giro Fuse and made it half way through the poly/foam liner would have caused some pretty serious, maybe even terminal damage to my skull. Did I still get a concussion? Yes, I think so (not sure as I was a little confused.... :rolleyes: ).

Just my personal experience, never ride without one now.

Really, it's pretty simple. Helmets won't protect against all head injuries, however they will protect against a fairly high percentage. This is particularly true on beginner trails where skiers and riders are not going all that fast. It doesn't take much impact to cause a closed head injury - that would have been alleviated with a helmet. However, nothing will protect someone who hits a stationary object bombing down some run at 50MPH. Nor will a helmet protect a motorcycle rider at that speed. Theres really nothing to argue about here.

• Like 1

This is a carry over from another thread. Anyone who wants to chime in please do so but keep it strictly to facts supported by evidence based on first hand knowledge. No hearsay, opinion or emotions allowed. Thank you.

Helmets are just like condoms, man. It all depends the type of condom and how you use it. If you're going balls deep with a lamb skin on a dry dead hooker... you're prolly gonna catch something.

Edited by nick malozzi
  • Like 2

Speaking from personal experience, yes. In spite of putting my arms up in front of my face right before I hit the tree, I cracked my helmet and not my head. Face was a mess, though, because of the goggles-over-sunglasses arrangement I had on that day. It's so much better than being a vegetable which my family had to feed the rest of my life. Will never ski without one again.

• Like 1

Issues to consider:

Risk homeostasis

Helmet impact ratings

Helmet hardness

Helmet strength

Helmet compression

Type of accident

Helmet fit

Your own ability to control a situation (skill level)

Your inability to control a situation (other people, act of god, lack of skill)

Additional risks of wearing a helmet

Used primarily as an insult, the term "darsh" originally derived from an episode of South Park. In the said episode the character Stan Marsh was on a ski-trip and a random guy challenged him to a race. In an attempt to piss Stan off, the random guy said: "Stan Marsh... more like Stan Darsh!" And since then all the cool kids have been saying it.

My brother was seriously injured several years ago in his first season of learning how to snowboard. I was not with him on the trail, I was with the boys. I heard my name being called to come to the first aid station. To this day, he still does not remember how he fell or what happened. He kept the helmet, its totally cracked in the front. He was airlifted to Lehigh (I think) and stayed there for about a week. His eyes were both black and blue and he looked completely nasty. If he wasn't wearing a helmet, I'd say he would be dead or a vegetable.

I never ride without my helmet and neither do my kids.

• Like 1

you totally missed the point of that. i shouldve gave you a +1 cause that was actually hilarious to me. dont blame you though, people in boulder think TV stands for turkey vegan.

springs to breck is a fun drive. fast drive. really, fast, drive. between SP and hoosier pass - see ya.

i had to go to the SP courthouse to pay a ticket. they acutally have characters posted up around town, its so funny/sad. that show makes way more sense to me now though. theres little things in every show you wouldnt get unless you live in CO.

"i have an important meeting to go to in BRECKENRIDGE!"

you totally missed the point of that. i shouldve gave you a +1 cause that was actually hilarious to me. dont blame you though, people in boulder think TV stands for turkey vegan.

springs to breck is a fun drive. fast drive. really, fast, drive. between SP and hoosier pass - see ya.

i had to go to the SP courthouse to pay a ticket. they acutally have characters posted up around town, its so funny/sad. that show makes way more sense to me now though. theres little things in every show you wouldnt get unless you live in CO.

"i have an important meeting to go to in BRECKENRIDGE!"

fyi: i know what a tv is, i'm not vegan, and i don't live in boulder (anymore).

helmets ftw

jenna-trooper-p2.jpg?w=420&h=728