Powder Day

Glenn

On a powder day are you more inclined to spin as many laps as possible or will you take less laps at a higher quality per lap? Assume they are mutually exclusive.

Which do you consider the better run: a mellow (your definition not mine) pitch with untouched snow or a run that pushes your abilities with good, but a small handful of people have been down it?

How likely are you to ditch your friends?

Describe your best powder run.

On a powder day are you more inclined to spin as many laps as possible or will you take less laps at a higher quality per lap? Assume they are mutually exclusive.

Which do you consider the better run: a mellow (your definition not mine) pitch with untouched snow or a run that pushes your abilities with good, but a small handful of people have been down it?

How likely are you to ditch your friends?

Describe your best powder run.

Less laps at a higher quality

More difficult run that a few have been down

My perfect powder run...3000 vert of 40+ degrees wide open face, 15"+ new, and some super fat skis under foot just surfing down making huge turns. I'd only ski one run cause it couldn't get better then that. :wiggle

less laps at a higher quality for sure.

hell no i dont leave my buddies. its not safe. not like we ride right behind each other though; wait at the bottom.

mellow runs you can just lay back and slash that shit up or bounce off stuff here and there. keepin it real lofty.

best day would probably be copper after they opened up taco with close to 35inches on it.

2nd best day was beave with 27 inches

3rd best day was one of my first times skiing pow at WP the couple days i stayed there with you. or maybe it was a trip i took out there i forget. skiing about a foot with park skis and seeing mushroom patch for the first time was nuts.

4th best day was east wall at abay with another 30 on it.

Definitely Quality over Quantity in the trees...

Best day/days had to be March 08 when I went to Steamboat with Outcold... Rode mad trees from the Summit all the way to the base with part of the backside included... They received 36" over the 4 days which meant free refills all day every day... When we left they had just broken the all time season record by one inch at 437...

• Like 1

Too many pow turns to remember which one was the best but up there was Solly two years ago. Snowed ridiculous amounts for 3 days. Next day bluebird, 4% snow and 25 with nobody around. That's like dream perfect.

Wormed are way around into a fav area with big old Bristle Cone pines and boom just fucking epic turns run after run. I'm not sure if that was the best but its one that sticks out in my mind. Had some dope runs at Jay.....Hirafu....1000 other places but that day really sticks out in my mind.

img0074xk.jpg

I'll go quality over quantity.

Quality to me usually means creamy snow on difficult terrain. Doesn't have to be first tracks, but that does always make it better. The exception comes if the steep terrain isn't riding like a powder day. IE everything slid during bombing, none of the new snow stuck to the steep pitches, the wind ruined all the steep pitches etc. On a powder day I will definitely be riding powder, but not necessarily the deepest and most untouched.

I avoid splitting up way more than I used to. Especially on a powder day I won't hit any daily goals if there isn't a spotter. Plus it's just more fun to share it with someone else.

Best powder day run was at the end of my first season at WP. We had a week of massive dumps. Each day got lighter. First lap on the final day I broke trail to the mushroom patch. 3 15'ers a 20'er lots of 5' skippers and knee to waste deep snow with face shots every turn. Not quite bluebird but trying to be. Great visibility, perfect temperature and no body at the hill.

Jive, I know. My partner's not into cameras and he's way faster at hiking than I am so he's usually waiting for me anyways. Also I don't have a point and shoot anymore, and carrying around the DSLR sucks.

• Like 1

Also I don't have a point and shoot anymore, and carrying around the DSLR sucks.

I've said it before, "The best camera is the one you have with you." I stopped with the SLR-type camera years ago. Too much aggravation carrying it around. It's fine if there is some close up that you planned for, etc., but that's the rare picture IMO. Yeah, I could take somewhat better shots with a better camera, but most shots end up not being printed and blown up these days, most go on computer screens and you don't need hyper good quality for that.