Sunday River 2011/2012

Ride Delaware ?

Sorry it took me so long to get to tarting this thread. I really haven't had the time to take pictures, and don't take my camera with me on the mountain while I work. I finally got photobucket for my iPhone, so I snapped two pics and thought id start it up. We are pretty much in a three way up and down race for most open in the easy between loon, k-mart, and SR. Lots of snowmaking over the past two cold days.

42a54c5d.jpg

13d348ef.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday River 1-4-12

Sorry for the long time in between posts, but I've been busy with work and work related activities... On Wednesday some friends from school came up to visit, and since I had the day off, I decided to get some free runs in. We woke up to a balmy -2 in downtown Bethel, and arrived at the mountain around 8:40. On a normal day i would have been able to get ready by 9, but my normal patrol board was in the shop, and my backup didn't have the bindings on it, so it took me a little time to get that together. By 9:30 we were on the Chondola in the cabin on our way to North Peak. We took Dream Maker back down to the Chondola and went back up. Snow was still firm after the last warmup, but they have been double grooming nightly and it was quite fast and edgeable. Our next run took us down Downdraft to Amex, which was basically in the same condition. We went up the Barker HSQ and hit Lazy River to Risky Business and up the Spruce Peak triple to Amex top to bottom... Amex and Risky are great trails, but they usually get scraped off early, so it was good we hit it when we did. After that my friends wanted to go to a red bull sponsored scavenger hunt, but I wanted to board since everything was in great shape, so we parted ways and I linked up with another buddy to enjoy some more turns. We hit everything off of the Barker HSQ, went hiking to retrieve a missing pair of goggles, and decided to hit up Little White Cap which has basically been deserted since very little terrain is open there. They have basically been trying to get some signature terrain open, mostly White Heat, Lollapalooza, and Tempest, so we got to see snowmaking once we got over that way.

We decided to go to White Cap by way of Roadrunner which is the village condo trail. I snapped this picture:

dfb40676.jpg

We went up lift 9 that runs along Tempest, and decided to hit Tempest. Tempest was only open to Heat's On since the lower section was getting pounded for an anticipated opening later that day. Here's a picture from the top. The mounds were about 5-6 feet tall, and the guns were really dialed in and delivering soft dry manmade pow. My glove got a little in the way, but you aren't missing anything:

da0e7084.jpg

We eventually got back to the top of Barker and decided to go down Obsession to Snowbound back to the White Cap basin. We passed White Heat, the steepest, widest trail in the Northeast. It had some super huge whales and is scheduled to possibly open today. Here's a picture of the poundage:

c5997eae.jpg

By about 3 pm it was starting to get super cold, and I had yet to find my friends who had apparently had called it a day early. I wanted to stick it out since lower tempest finally opened, but with the high just above 0 at the top, I was just getting too cold. I called it a day shortly thereafter.

All in all, great day. Some trails were getting scraped off by the end of the day, but most everything was in good shape. I went out again yesterday and it was also in great shape. A little more ice, but still fast and edgeable. I racked up 20 runs which was the most yet this season.

• Like 1

do you only take blurry pictures of snowguns?

I'll try to get some better action pictures... I go out mostly on weekdays when I take pictures, and there aren't as many folks around... I'm also using my phone instead of my camera, so I think the focus gets out of wack if I'm a little jittery... I'll try to take my camera next time... It was so damn cold this day that this was the best I was going to get... I'll do my best to step up my game...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile... Two powder days the last 2 Fridays... No pics from the 27th, since I opened, and subsequently took runs on a tree run all day, but I have some pics from the 20th and a pic or two the day after... Unfortunately, I took them on my phone, so they could be blurry (sorry Justin)... The next dumps should put almost all the on map trees in play, so I'm hoping for a good one...

ff01fd1f.jpg

f7d8991c.jpg

First and Second trax on Lost Princess... Manmade base, but all natural on top... Trees on the sides... Great time...

aa9cf252.jpg

ca9e0289.jpg

It was a tit bit nipply the morning after the storm...

6ac78547.jpg

Cold but beautiful morning the day after the storm... Took This pic from Amex with guns going on Rocking Chair Terrain Park...

Nice dude, been waiting a month now to get up there but the damn trees aren't in yet. Heres to some big dumps.

The freeze thaw cycle up here has just been brutal all season, but it has helped harden the base in the trees... If we get a foot to two feet, I think we will have a decent amount of them in play...

I'm guessing Ride Deleware got his hands on some Maine psychodelics.

Hands down this is the worst trip report thread ever....I couldn't imagine being a skibum in the east. In college I was essentially an east coast skibum at Stowe but I wasn't allowed to go to college out west.

skibum the east = you're doing it wrong

Hands down this is the worst trip report thread ever....I couldn't imagine being a skibum in the east. In college I was essentially an east coast skibum at Stowe but I wasn't allowed to go to college out west.

This is a terrible trip report, and I definitely apologize for that. I thought I would have more time to get pictures and everything, but we are pretty much busy all day once we hit the slopes. I also haven't been able to get anywhere else since the weather has been less than cooperative.

That being said, the biggest reason I decided to stay in the East was the combination of skiing to work. In all reality, I wanted to be a ski bum that actually skied (or in this case snowboarded) on the job. I don't have the patience for instructing, and I really didn't want to work off mountain and then board all my free time or risk missing good conditions. With ski patrol I have the chance to be there during all the good storms and I don't feel like I need to get out there on my off days if I don't feel well etc. Also, now that I have done ski patrol, I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I am really enjoying the job and the atmosphere. Also, it is much tougher to get certifications, and find a resort that allows snowboarders on ski patrol out west. This just so happened to fit my criteria fairly well. Is it possible I could have a better time out west? Yes... Am I still having one of the best winters in my life regardless of it being in the east coast? Absolutely...

• 4 weeks later...