Plattekill Making Moves (Improvements)

http://m.firsttracksonline.com/2012/05/07/plattekill-buys-new-chairlift-groomer-and-snowmaking-equipment-at-tanglwood-auction/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

Plattekill and Laszlo continue to move forward year after year despite the tough economic times... This is really good news again this year... On the flip side, it looks like Tanglwood is officially toast... They bought some older tower guns from Big Tupper last season, and this year 2 new fan guns, a new double for an expanded beginner area, and a new groomer... I don't know when they expect to put the double in place, but they also bought hydrants to expand snowmaking in the future... Couple that with a new pond last year, and things are really improving... Although Platty is super relaxed, and I don't want it to get sold out or change, I think this will improve snow quality in lean years such as this one... Especially when you have to pass snowmaking behomeths like Hunter and Windham, and to a lesser extent, but still better than Platty, Belleayre... I still like Platty and Bell the best in the Skillz, and I'm sure this will only make it better!!!

Additionally, Laszlo has really become a pro at picking up used equipment at cheaper prices... Props to him...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Plattekill tickets are $15 on liftopia mid-week. I'm thinking about heading up one day this week.

They are a weekend only operation, so I think that means Fri-Mon? Maybe only Fri-Sun? That doesn't include powder "daize," but it limits midweek accessibility... Regardless, it's still sure to be fairly slow and manageable on a weekend, if there is still a decent price available...

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

http://www.liftopia.com/ski-resort-info/product/54/NY/Plattekill-Mountain-1-Day-Lift-Tickets.htm#02-2013

they're open Wednesday - Friday this week and it's $15

Actually - you dont even need liftopia.

http://plattekill.com/home-trio/15-ticket-days

Depending on how much you value your time, and how long your drive is, and if you staying at a hotel somewhere, it is a great deal for a standalone lift ticket. I love the vibe there. Very Elk with much less restrictions and better sustained vert with very little runout. If I were back home, I would definitely try to jump on this deal!!!

Should be able to get there in about 2 1/2. Worth it to try something new. Catskills are a day trip. I wouldn't spend $ to overnight there. Would just keep during north to placid or Stowe if I were doing a ski trip in the east. I've pretty much written off most places south of them for an overnight.

Should be able to get there in about 2 1/2. Worth it to try something new. Catskills are a day trip. I wouldn't spend $ to overnight there. Would just keep during north to placid or Stowe if I were doing a ski trip in the east. I've pretty much written off most places south of them for an overnight.

how fast do you drive?? the last time i checked it was a solid 3.5 hrs from the pokes to anywhere in the catskills.

Every time I head that way I'm driving past Albany in three hours on the nose. Hell you can see the Catskills from the summit of camelback. It's not that far. I've never been to plattekill but I can't image it being more than 3 tops

I can honestly say it is out in the middle of nowhere... Like I used to think Elk was out in the middle of nowhere, but when I first went to Platty, my GPS took me on old route 28 through a bunch of farm fields and past a mobile home graveyard, and my friend and I were throwing around many "where the fuck are we" questions. It's another 30 minutes past Belleayre, but worth the trip.

I'm sure you remember reading them 2 years ago, but I posted a couple TRs with pics when I went.

Edited by Ride Delaware ?