TR Sugarbush 3/23

vinnyv11

We arrived at the lodge for opening and were welcomed to a reported 4-6 of freshies on the mountain. After heading up we quickly realized that this was more like 8-10 in spots. Wow I don't think I could of planned this better. I skied a bunch of runs through freshies everywhere including a run down ripcord and a paradise which were a lot of fun. The words for the day was humbling as I quickly realized I am way out of my element in powder and I got to spend the day working on it. After heading down the paradise woods we decided to check out mt Ellen. For those that do not know sugarbush thy have two mountains that are connected by a chair across that goes about 2 miles really interesting experience going across a mountain.

After hitting mt Ellen we did a couple of runs down some nice soft bumps and then headed into the trees. These trees had great snow but were a little tight for my taste. We headed down exterminator again and farther across the mountain to hit the brambles woods which were filled with stashes to be had pretty mellow but fun. We headed in for late lunch after a couple more runs and I thought I was done for the day as my legs were shot.

After hearing from the guys I was with I decided to head back up. On the lift a guy told me that the north lynx lift was open and therefore the slide brook was open which I wanted to experience so we headed up with a group of about 20 to the trail. For those that don't know sugarbush slidebrook is the area between the two mountains and is several hundred acres of pure trees. The traverse is a little tight and requires some speed scrubbing and space but not bad. After getting across you go under the chair lift to several entrances. Inside is pure gold as there were amazingly spaced trees freshies everywhere and a intense fun set of runs. These are tree areas that you could spend days in and still not hit all the lines. I would say the trail is around a mile and a half and is absolutely amazing. I would say it rivaled sugarloaf a bracket basin especially with the snow. After the run you end up on cat tracks and cross a bridge which requires a little effort to get back to the access road to catch the bus back to the lodge to end the day. Another open to close day.

Today was summed up with fresh snow, amazing trees and wind. I really like sugarbush and feel it has a lot to offer from steep steeps and great trees with slide brook being unreal.

EC21C044-E73F-4FA4-B5AD-6BCEEAF28281.JPG

9C608E14-63FD-431E-893C-94EBCE2EFD40.JPG

E01950DC-692D-4910-A794-F2E7382F49AD.JPG

12B88947-399D-4346-BE29-75258F4FA253.JPG

• Like 3

Nice report. Sounds like great skiing.

I think you may be skiing with Cornhead and Scotty. I live near Cornhead and have skied with him at Greek Peak, Elk (last year), Plattekill (last year) and at Snow Ridge. He tends to ski fairly FAST. I think those two are characters... you sound like a nice guy.

Nice report. Sounds like great skiing.

I think you may be skiing with Cornhead and Scotty. I live near Cornhead and have skied with him at Greek Peak, Elk (last year), Plattekill (last year) and at Snow Ridge. He tends to ski fairly FAST. I think those two are characters... you sound like a nice guy.

Ya I stayed with them Friday night definitely characters. Great trip and conditions.

• Like 1

great report! i love the bush especially castlerock etc. never got into the slide brook area, sounds awesome. you used to need a guide or at least some local knowledge, is it marked now?

I wouldn't say its clearly marked but if you follow people going in you'll be all good (just keep a distance). The traverse/entrance is pretty clear based on tracks and then the subsequent entrances to the actual run is to your left after going under the slidebrook lift. After reaching the bottom follow the cat tracks most of which are slightly downhill (a little pushing here and there) and you'll end up at the access road. There were a good amount of people going in here and there so it wasn't hard to meet a couple new friends to go in with that know the area. I think they do guided tours as well though if i'm not mistaken.

I have to agree with Doug on this one

I won't disagree at all, but all things considered, I am happy with how things played out and where I will be. I won't complain at all about being fortunate enough to ride a damn good mountain. I do hope to get out west, but things have changed from this year to next, so I'm going to live it up in the MRV.

They do guided tours and really I believe its actually against the law because of some kind of wildlife.

Sugarbush is allright, Castle holds some excellent shit but the people that ride there are wanna be's of the highest order, too much $$$$$.

MRG right down the st has better skiers and less bullshit.....

They do guided tours and really I believe its actually against the law because of some kind of wildlife.

Sugarbush is allright, Castle holds some excellent shit but the people that ride there are wanna be's of the highest order, too much $$$$$.

MRG right down the st has better skiers and less bullshit.....

I was meeting a bunch of people there but MRG is definitely on the list of must hits. Only problem is that because of it needing so much natural it's hard to plan a trip to specifically. Ill probably keep it in mind next time I head up and see if conditions warrant.