hunter mtn snowmaking

guitar73

They should have opened last week.

i've been stalking their webcam for a while now and last week their production was non-existant. most of what they did blow in the first round of snowmaking they lost when i rained. there was no way they could have opened last week.

Edited by guitar73

Can't even rip on Huntah anymore.....whatever that dude was that loved the joint is long gone....

DMC? They have struggled to open/lacked the will to open on Thanksgiving the past couple years. They could have half the mountain open by Thanksgiving with the estimated temps early next week.

Hunter did alot more business in the 90s then now.

In 2010 Hunter for 80% of their mountain open in 9 days.

Wasn't the hay day for most New England mountains in the late 70s through the mid 80s? I know that some are slowly getting back to those numbers (Sugarbush/Sunday River), but there are a lot less resorts than there are now. Even with the year they had last year (estimated 800k + skier visits), Killington is still substantially off their all time high of 1.2 million in the 80s...

The 1991-92 season was the best ski season for Hunter mountain. They were open from November 5th until May 5th which is 183 days total. I was very new to the sport then and I thought that was the norm. Blue mountain was open until April 5th that season and until April 10th the following season.

The 1990s had colder and snowier winters in the northeast than the 1980s. Look at some of the mount Mansfield data if you don't believe me.

I buy that. It's incredible to think that a Catskills mountain went until May 5th. That's what Sugarbush posted last season. I started this sport too late.

• 4 weeks later...

Being an old fuck I skied most of my spring that season at Hunter on some truly VW sized bumps and possibly the best bump lines I've ever seen down Eisenhower and Racers. LOL I remember my girl waking me up because I was still skiing bumps in my sleep. Awesome season.

I also remember sitting in the Killington parking lot waiting for peak to open on October 1 many years running. 15 buc lift tickets and every world class bump skier around pounding bumps and loading at mid-station on the old double all day. God dam I miss the fluorescent.

• Like 3