Beginner Lessons & Packages for kids

Ski2Live Live2Ski

Kids had a great experience getting their start at spring mountain today. $50 each for a package that included rentals and a "group" lesson that consisted of just the two of them with a patient and warm instructor. Both asked to do it again tomorrow which is all I could ask for (though tomorrow won't work). They are excited to wear their lift tix into school tomorrow and tell all their friends about it.

• Like 6

Sweet. Future skiers are always a good thing. Get'em back out as soon as you can. Both mine stated at 6 and 8 in skiwee at Shawnee and are now high level race development program at 11 and 13 waiting for dad to give the go ahead to go travel team race. Both are great skiers and watching them tear it up on Sunday made me very proud. They now ski everything with me and the family weak link is my wife.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

More props for Spring Mountain, particularly their instructor Carrie who gave the girls their second lesson yesterday, this time on their gentle Mole Hill area where they rode a Magic Carpet (first lesson they were just walking up and skiing down the school area slope).

I also practiced with the girls a good bit yesterday so they were on the snow at least 3 hours.

Sore legs this morning (for all of us - teaching a pair of 6 year olds to ski is more exertion than skiing - probably hoisted them back upright a good 50 times).

They are making great progress and will be trying the chairlift and skiing down a real incline next time they go out with her.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 3

More props for Spring Mountain, particularly their instructor Carrie who gave the girls their second lesson yesterday, this time on their gentle Mole Hill area where they rode a Magic Carpet (first lesson they were just walking up and skiing down the school area slope).

I also practiced with the girls a good bit yesterday so they were on the snow at least 3 hours.

Sore legs this morning (for all of us - teaching a pair of 6 year olds to ski is more exertion than skiing - probably hoisted them back upright a good 50 times).

They are making great progress and will be trying the chairlift and skiing down a real incline next time they go out with her.

Good to hear. Its gotta be cool teaching your kids to do something that you love.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kids had lesson #3 at Spring Mt. yesterday and rode the chair for the first time. While they don't have a detatchable lift there, they actually brought the lift to a stop for the kids to board the first time.

The girls and I couldn't be happier with their instructor Carrie who is really going the extra mile for them in every conceivable way, including taking such joy in what she is doing, sharing the joy with them, and bringing them little gifts like stickers.

Throw in the proximity and the "family night" deals they have on Sunday and I have to say there is no better place for kids from the Philadelohia area to learn to ski.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took the kids out for day 5 yesterday - first time with no lesson. One of them is now skiing independently, with my assistance limited to telling her to turn and occasionally helping her back to her feet. Exciting to see this progress.

Awesome progress. Keep taking them skiing (this season) so the progression doesn't stop...the more the better.

• Like 1

Awesome progress. Keep taking them skiing (this season) so the progression doesn't stop...the more the better.

Definitely! No substitute for experience!

When they can control their speed, introduce them into the bumps!

Start them early enough and they'll be zipper-lining them in no time!

Definitely! No substitute for experience!

When they can control their speed, introduce them into the bumps!

Start them early enough and they'll be zipper-lining them in no time!

Every time we go out they remind me of my statement that they will be better than me because they are starting younger

We will make it out at least one more time this season as I already purchased a package at Shawnee that I haven't used. Weather permitting we'll do that March 8. Then I'll have to see how much longer the ski season lasts and maybe try for the 22nd or 23rd. Kids are only with me every other week.

• 4 weeks later...

Day 7 and lesson #6 for the kids on Saturday. They are finally bonafide skiers. 8 runs down Shawnee's 700 feet of vertical for both of them - the first time they did runs with more than 125 feet of vertical - and the last few runs were on blue terrain.

Never believed we'd make it this far this season when I watched their first lesson in December. We are now able to ski a real slope as a trio without assistance. The girls are as proud of themselves as I am of them.

I have no kind words for Shawnee's ski school office, but their instructor Claire (a man) was wonderful with the girls and felt they both had some real natural ability.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...