Where's the snow?

Sara43

So I'm gearing up now, shift starts at 11! we're going to try tonight, I just came back from the season opening party which was great and the sidewalks were a bit slick already.  I didn't have any real idea what the temp was, but I have a pretty good feeling, We're also planning on trying tomorrow as well.  I'm wasting time. Gotta go.  

• Like 2

i like these new crop of posters like sara and eric lee burke.  they arent afraid to tell you how they feel

Same and George Costanza is alright.

But Sara has disappeared.

She's never been a daily poster her missing one day is no big deal. She's super paranoid which is super entertaining. She must be hot if Sno mountain liftees were hitting on her lol

Well, if you remember correctly Sarah the snowmaker pointed out that you can make snow in temps up to 37 degrees.  

Ya in regards to that.. No comment.  It's really hard to calculate the wet bulb at a lot of elevations on the mountain, can't just look at the local news' humidity number and her "Estimated" temp based on elevation, just a small margin of error of a degree or two and humidity percent can be go/no go. For example, it was too warm at the bottom of the mountain last night so we couldn't do anything down there on north face, but we were able to make snow from the lodge on up.  As temps started to come up before/during dawn, top of the mountain warmed up past the limits before base did, and our thermometer at the top of the mountain (Dry bulb, normal temp, was 27 when we lost it) But we went in to work not knowing if we could even blow or not so it wasn't a loss at all. 

I'm just trying to enlighten everyone how things work in detail from what I've learned so far.  Mountains around us have sticks and guns I've never used or researched.  Perhaps they can blow more snow in warmer temps, but we can really put the hammer down and make massive piles when the weather cooperates.  Still no excuse for anything and we just need to live with it and push forward.  

When temperatures are like this, the best thermometer is simply standing out in front of the gun and watch how it bounces off your coat.  If we rely on "Technology" and assume we're okay, (while making) that's when we can make a mess.  once you get to know it, you can pretty much feel the mist on your face from a gun pretty far away when things warm up and know it's over. from grains to mist, time to shut down.  

It's a science, but there are so, so, so many more variables than just the wet bulb and I feel like I learn something new every night. 

Accuweather and the weather channel have about a 3 degree difference for only a few hours away from now at the same location. 

Things are so on the edge right now, I don't know if we can totally predict the next 6 hours let alone the next 6 days.

We'll just have to wait and see, cross our fingers! 

• Like 1

Santa I like your optimism...can you post some pictures

I usually text my pics to someone who may post them on Facebook in the morning.  Perhaps I'll pull out my new GoPro and transfer the pics to my phone, then text them to the big guy.  We'll see.  I'm talking with one of the website admins and we might set it up so I can just upload my content into a drop box when I get home in the morning If I have time to set up a tripod and do a time-lapse. I also really hope to make an awesome clip of the process of blowing snow on lightning and the cat pushing and winching the piles out for the first time of the season.  It's pretty fun to make snow on lightning once there's a base.. lots of skilled controlled butt sliding.  We get good.  Work boot skiing as well. 

If you want to see MY photos, my Facebook page is just 'David Clauss Photography'  SponsorMyFace is on a temporary to permanent hold.  I need to meet with my accountant to see what would benefit myself the most in regards to my massive equipment investment this year and try to get back as much as possible, it began as an LLC and both partners are out so it's all me.

On a side note, if anyone knows what I should do to get as much back in taxes, let me know hahaha.