Where's the snow?

Sara43

Till the 11th? :'( 

So it seems like Charlie bet his cards the weather would be like last years "Polar vortex" ??? 

And lost.  

I feel like the new ownership is treating their new baby like they're secretly trying to flip a property and have no idea how to run a ski resort.  Sure the lodge and bar look great now, the website and PR looks professional, but from what I heard, the infrastructure is.. "Falling to pieces" didn't even begin to describe what I heard and was pointed out to me last year..  It's like on tv, they're putting a new roof on it, new carpet and paint, Beautiful new kitchen, but the plumbing and electric haven't been touched or only desperately patched up.  After watching the episode, you say to yourself, wait.. is that house going to last more than a year before everything falls apart? Besides for the LED lights which, are somewhat on the cosmetic side of things if you think about it (Even though they're awesome)  Any prospective "Resort buyer" would see the lodge, the bar, the lights, and be super interested, when what they don't know, is behind those freshly painted walls and beautiful new roof, the electrical and plumbing are completely shot. 

If they can't be open for the holidays, Imagine the enormous loss they'll take.  They're saying on their Facebook page that this will be their "best season yet" but they blatantly decided not to make snow when they had an awesome chance?  a super cold gift from the Gods? (My reason for creating this entire thread)

They even have a super bland video of them starting to make snow on their Facebook page.  Smells like desperation to me.  When I drove past today it looked like they only actually made snow on two upper trails, I couldn't really tell what north face looked like. 

Since Accuweather has the longest forecast I can find, I see the 4th, the 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, and 15th to be possible right now if things go right? and those are what they call "Marginal" from the little research I did today, I found this company called 'Snow at home'  (Pretty cool stuff.) 

So Maybe, they'll be good by the middle of the month if the snow they made this weekend when it was super cold doesn't melt.. 

For some reason, I just feel like the resort has attracted bad Juju, Cursed, First the county lost it, then Sno was a group of guys that had no idea what they were doing, then went super corrupt and lost it.  Now we have what we have... 

I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.  I just don't get the $10m lodge upgrade then being frugal on making snow and maintaining the infrastructure?

Guess what Charlie, you can't pay that lodge off if you can't open the resort! 

I feel like the new ownership is treating their new baby like they're secretly trying to flip a property and have no idea how to run a ski resort.  

Do you really think a land developer that buys a ski resort would do that?  No way.  

Yup especially the night Richie Cunningham, Potsie and the Fonz, learned to ski.I can honestly say that those were some Happy Days.

i think that was the same night Leather Tuscadero played in the lodge.    Good times.  

All kidding aside, Toast is probably right.  at this point they are probably looking at a January opening.   It appears as though they missed their best opportunity for snowmaking, at least for the next week or so.  

Sara, i think the $25 tix at JFBB end today.  

Till the 11th? :'( 

Since Accuweather has the longest forecast I can find, I see the 4th, the 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, and 15th to be possible right now if things go right? and those are what they call "Marginal" from the little research I did today, I found this company called 'Snow at home'  (Pretty cool stuff.) 

Anything more than 5 days is fantasy and accuweather sucks anyways...also it has to be way colder than 32 to blow snow

Anyways everyone is in a holding pattern so here's the best mashup I've ever found outside of maybe the BIG/Thomas the tank one.....

• Like 3

Anything more than 5 days is fantasy and accuweather sucks anyways...also it has to be way colder than 32 to blow snow

Anyways everyone is in a holding pattern so here's the best mashup I've ever found outside of maybe the BIG/Thomas the tank one.....

Thanks for making me piss my pants laughing at work
  • Like 1

That is great I'm gonna rock out to that like 24/7 now...boom. I know people say you are a few fries short of a happy meal but I think you are alright.

Thanks for making me piss my pants laughing at work

That video made me totally forget what the fuck I was doing. Oh yeah ordering granite fun fun fun

• Like 1

You guys keep getting off track like a kid with ADHD..

So I'm guessing you didn't know that snowmaking is actually possible to blow marginal at 37.4 degrees if the relative humidity is less than 20% and Ideal heavy snowmaking can be made at 28.4 degrees with ideal humidity.  Even at 32 degrees it's possible to make snow if the humidity drops below 60%

I assume they'd have weather stations throughout the resort.

If they really wanted to make as much snow as possible and open ASAP, they could put the snow makers on standby if somebody at the mountain, perhaps an office employee could take on site weather station humidity readings if the forecast shows that the humidity is substantially close to these numbers. 

To play my own devils advocate.. 

Granted the margin of error, timing of the low temp forecast (3-6am) and altitude difference between what's likely a forecast for Moosic; it may be possible to blow snow on the upper half of the mountain because the lodge, I'd assume is approximately 500+ ft above the local forecasted temps.  All they need is a margin of error of 2 degrees from elevation and/or relative humidity margin of error of 10% to beat what is forecasted and make snow.  

Granted, they may also be going off last years income stats and the cost benefit by opening before the middle of the month would cost in total more to make snow than the income due to the fact that they'd have, most likely season pass holders ski instead of daily customers, which sucks and is, in my opinion a little unethical, but income is income to a business being held by a thread.

I can also understand the cost of running their system and paying wages stays the same while the efficiency of snow being put on the ground could be a lot less than what it would be from the upper limit to the 'Ideal' wet bulb temperatures..

Okay I'm bored at work and I cheated by using this chart along with the simple knowledge that it's colder in higher elevation.. but still. It's time to stop being frugal and make some damn snow.  I wanna ski! Perhaps I should apply for the snowmaking supervisor position they apparently lost. (I saw it when they had their available jobs post)

snowmaking-chart_big.jpg

Sara we never have humidity below 20% we aren't in a desert and the horses here have names. Our humidity is generally 40-80% if its not precipitating. I've never seen a local ski resort blow snow below about 33 degrees and usually they don't bother unless its in the upper 20s or lower for solid production. Also the low temperature this time of year is not from 3-6am it's generally around 7am just as its getting light. Also it's not always cooler up high deep valleys are often much cooler during the early morning than the surrounding mountains.

Anyway you slice it or dice it Sno-tage fucked up majorly by not taking advantage of the recent cold weather to blow snow. It may Jeopardize their chance of being open for the holidays.

• Like 3

Most places would maximize profit by opening on 12/26 and closing on 2/16. Also closing tues-thurs. Other then Christmas week. Sara do you work at Dunder Mifflin?

In fact I do, would you like me to tell Steve Carell you said hi? 

I'm not giving any details about my identity, why do you think my photo is of the back of my head? I don't want any retaliation or to somehow link myself to past employees where I got my dirty secrets from.  

In fact I do, would you like me to tell Steve Carell you said hi?

I'm not giving any details about my identity, why do you think my photo is of the back of my head? I don't want any retaliation or to somehow link myself to past employees where I got my dirty secrets from.

What dirty little secrets??? Isn't that a song? All American rejects. Anyway Sara you should come down to Blue and ski with us this weekend!!!!!

What dirty little secrets??? Isn't that a song? All American rejects. Anyway Sara you should come down to Blue and ski with us this weekend!!!!!

That sounds pretty appealing.. we'll see. 

This topic is the largest/longest since Oct 2011.. I sure am making a spectacle of things. 

Sara we never have humidity below 20% we aren't in a desert and the horses here have names. Our humidity is generally 40-80% if its not precipitating. I've never seen a local ski resort blow snow below about 33 degrees and usually they don't bother unless its in the upper 20s or lower for solid production. Also the low temperature this time of year is not from 3-6am it's generally around 7am just as its getting light. Also it's not always cooler up high deep valleys are often much cooler during the early morning than the surrounding mountains.

Anyway you slice it or dice it Sno-tage fucked up majorly by not taking advantage of the recent cold weather to blow snow. It may Jeopardize their chance of being open for the holidays.

I suppose you're right about the chances of the humidity going down to 20%

this brightened my day. asshole.

• Like 1