TR - Blue Mtn 2/10/2015

guitar73

last nite was our "final" nite of the adult racing clinic.  no crowds, super slick but grippy snow conditions, and not so cold temps made for a very fine evening indeed. 

we didn't run any gates this time.  instead, it was all drills and application, mostly focusing on body positions throughout the turn.  drills were focusing on isolating the lower body in order to set the edges and obtain significant edge angles, balance on and pressuring of the skis, etc. it was a really good session b/c we didn't have to worry about making/missing gates at all.  at the end of the nite our coaches said they may give us a bonus session next week.

anyhow, if  you are into learning how to run gates or just improve upon your carving skillz this adult race clinic is a good choice. tinymoose and I are thinking about doing it again next season. 

• Like 4

actually, we didn't mind not having any gates set up. one really doesn't learn or perfect their turning skillz in the gates....that's where you need to already have that skill set and can work on learning how to ski the gates.  we found that focusing on practicing the skills while trying to learn how to ski a race course was very difficult and not productive at all.  I think (and this was the opinion of one of the coaches) that it's good to do more skills practice outside the course and then do a few runs down the course. 

• Like 1

Did they talk about pole plants or where to put your hands? That's the part of skiing I have no idea what I'm doing. Matt Edge was showing me some of that in the lot.

yup.  basically they were looking to make sure that your hands don't really drop below your waist or get behind your torso. but more than that, they didn't want us to have "static" hands/arms thru the turn.  they wanted us to have a little bit of forward movement of the outside arm to help keep the upper body driving thru all of the turn.  also, the timing of the pole plant they had us working on was slightly after the edge transition.

ETA:  here is a video of what i'm trying to explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9wjBFf_g6U

Edited by guitar73
  • Like 1

yup. basically they were looking to make sure that your hands don't really drop below your waist or get behind your torso. but more than that, they didn't want us to have "static" hands/arms thru the turn. they wanted us to have a little bit of forward movement of the outside arm to help keep the upper body driving thru all of the turn. also, the timing of the pole plant they had us working on was slightly after the edge transition.

ETA: here is a video of what i'm trying to explain.

Good for you taking interest in becoming a better skier.

I'd love to see a video of myself how awful my form is compared to how I think I look!

• Like 1

Interesting I was always told to keep the upper body silent so pretty much all legs in my skiing. At this point I don't care to work on things as it takes alot of the fun out of skiing but good on you for trying to improve. For the first 15 years as a skier I never thought about my arms or hands or poles.

Good for you taking interest in becoming a better skier.

I'd love to see a video of myself how awful my form is compared to how I think I look!

I should have worn a goPro Saturday at Blue...anyway it's all about having fun. Ski the way you like.

• Like 2

last nite was our "final" nite of the adult racing clinic.  no crowds, super slick but grippy snow conditions, and not so cold temps made for a very fine evening indeed. 

we didn't run any gates this time.  instead, it was all drills and application, mostly focusing on body positions throughout the turn.  drills were focusing on isolating the lower body in order to set the edges and obtain significant edge angles, balance on and pressuring of the skis, etc. it was a really good session b/c we didn't have to worry about making/missing gates at all.  at the end of the nite our coaches said they may give us a bonus session next week.

anyhow, if  you are into learning how to run gates or just improve upon your carving skillz this adult race clinic is a good choice. tinymoose and I are thinking about doing it again next season. 

Sounds awesome, but seems odd to me that they would save drills like this for last as applying those skills in the gates is the goal.  Hopefully that is exactly what happens in the bonus session!

Edited by thedude4bides

I'm not a good listener. If I wanted lessons I'd go up to Jack Frost and take an all day private from Phillycore.

There are three types of learners and a good instructor will know which one you are and how to reach you.  That isn't the issue.  The issue is you being stubborn and set in your ways;)

• Like 1

There are three types of learners and a good instructor will know which one you are and how to reach you.  That isn't the issue.  The issue is you being stubborn and set in your ways;)

Ding ding ding although I appreciate that some wanna learn. My dad once took golf lessons and last night I was teaching the ladies how to Dougie.

• Like 1

Sounds awesome, but seems odd to me that they would save drills like this for last as applying those skills in the gates is the goal.  Hopefully that is exactly what happens in the bonus session!

the first session was all drills/application/etc, but ppl in the class were super into do gates.