Big Bear

Ski2Live Live2Ski

Anyone ski there? What are your thoughts? Have a free pass on the PASR card and might check it out with the kids as a result. It's a haul though and trail map looks pretty small. How does its degree of challenge compare to Alpine (which was too tame to challenge my kids) or Shawnee (where some of the black diamonds and the blue square lower Delaware cause them some trepidation).

Big Bear is better than the trail map suggests. The slopes are generally steeper than Alpine but the only real steep trail is Screaming Demon which is short. Great lodge with a nice restaurant and bar. It was never crowded when I was there. Get there for opening and you'll have the slopes to yourselves for most of the morning. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Thanks trackbiker, will check it out then

"Obscure Mountains" include Blue Camelback JFBB and Shawnee. Not bad to ski those 4 for $55 total even if you don't bother with Alpine and Big Bear.

It is called the PA Ski and Ride Card and is available to ski club members.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

Yeah I had to buy a $30 club membership in addition to the $55 per card I spent so my total was $195 for 3 cards. Even if I only used Blue Camel and JFBB that would be under $22 for each lift ticket.

Shawnee is the best deal actually cause my kids are under 46" (and therefore ski free with paying adult) so all 3 of us can ski 3x with 3 cards.

So if I hit Big Bear too I will wind up getting 24 lift tickets total for $195 or roughly $8 per ticket.

Can't really beat that even with a season pass unless you ski daily, and I would get bored going to the same place all skison

• Like 3

Yeah I had to buy a $30 club membership in addition to the $55 per card I spent so my total was $195 for 3 cards. Even if I only used Blue Camel and JFBB that would be under $22 for each lift ticket.

Shawnee is the best deal actually cause my kids are under 46" (and therefore ski free with paying adult) so all 3 of us can ski 3x with 3 cards.

So if I hit Big Bear too I will wind up getting 24 lift tickets total for $195 or roughly $8 per ticket.

Can't really beat that even with a season pass unless you ski daily, and I would get bored going to the same place all skison

That's a killer deal.

Toast and root are the only PASRs who ever went to Shawnee.

thats not true. I went to Shawnee for a comp a few years ago on a pow day. Basically took my two comp runs then went and skied trees with 8" of snow. If I didn't have a season pass I'd probably go there a few times a year with a card like this.

Oh Really? I used to work there so I've skied there once or 1,000,000 times

How do you like Shawnee compared to blue?? Why did you stop working there?

Maybe that could be your first duty as a PASR staff person....I'm done turning my hobbies into jobs

Nah don't care about all those other mountains. I wanna be in charge of stickers and stats and bringing the champagne on mimosa day b

thats not true. I went to Shawnee for a comp a few years ago on a pow day. Basically took my two comp runs then went and skied trees with 8" of snow. If I didn't have a season pass I'd probably go there a few times a year with a card like this.

You mean the official stenographer missed recording your trip to shawnee in the national archives? Shameful. [emoji12] Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 3

How do you like Shawnee compared to blue?? Why did you stop working there?

Nah don't care about all those other mountains. I wanna be in charge of stickers and stats and bringing the champagne on mimosa day b

Shawnee caters to families, groups, beginners and they do it better than anyone else. People who are just looking for a place to rip should look elsewhere. I would never call Shawnee obscure though. There are a lot of good people there who do a very good job

Shawnee is a great place to ski with kids. Been there 6 times with them. Nice that there are trees you can ski through alongside the runs the kids are doing.

Hosting a snow tubing bday party for them in a few weeks, and they will ski with those of their friends who ski after the party.

The top half is pretty flat other than Renegade but the bottom has some steepness and they let Tecumseh bump up.

And on weekends the lines are much smaller than Blue.