Snowshoe WV

C1erArt

The kids are working in DC, so rather than head up to New England for our family get-together, we tried this area.  Was raining when we drove up Wednesday, snowed all Thursday (about 10"), and was bluebird clear Friday, Sat and Sunday.  A nice area with a lot of snow, the front side has about 1000' drop, Top of the Mountain (far right looking down the hill - like Jack Frost it is an upside down mountain - starting at the top) area has some nice blacks.  Over on the left side are more greens and blues).  Silver Creek area (which is set off from the other areas) has night skiing and a fair amout of parks - kids skied that one night.  The real prize was the Western Territory runs - nice 1500 vertical blacks with a double black at the botton half of Shays - half groomed and the left side a little soft and bumped up from the recent snow.  I spent most of Friday there - with the high speed lift I got in 25,000' vertical in less than 5 hours (with some of that on the front side).

This week is spring break, so a lot of college kids came in this weekend, Saturday was a zoo on the front side, but WT was still nice - lift lines not too bad, and mostly serious skiers and boarders.  The row of hotels and condos at the top of the mountain was pretty packed, but we had a house just down from the top road which was pretty quiet, and had a shuttle to the areas.  Definitely would go again, especially since we picked up season passes for next year (including last week) for $225, less than what we would have paid for day passes.

C610210C-091D-49A6-82C5-0F3CEC29D395_zps

Also a link to a boring GoPro of Shay's run (long runout between the upper black and lower double black).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDXq1F_GdU4&index=3&list=PLaSIOfaw0ggrK6F2cJeFj5X1o1_ilHtYA

Took about 4 hours to get down there on 81, then 3 hours on the back roads of WV.  Hadn't been down there since boating the area in the 80s.  Reminded me of that old whitewater book:

7E45FA2B-9F38-442D-BD66-5F0646EA181E_zps

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Can't believe I missed this TR when it came out this season.  I'm a huge Snowshoe fan.  Haven't been there since 04', but since I learned to ride there in 2000, it holds a special place in my heart.  First trip was brutal ice from a warmup, but the second time was brutal cold with 15" of fresh.  Went in the trees for the first time there and immediately hit one.  Didn't go back in for a couple years.  They get Southern VT/Catskill type snow but have much more temperature variation.  I got to Timberline this year, so hopefully I can visit this year.  They've added a new lift and trimmed some trees since I've been, so I'm sure ill have even more fun.