Trip Report - 1/6/2018

saltyant

Just got back home from a fun session at Camelback. I skied from 1:52:12 pm to 8:25:20 pm, or 6 hours, 19 minutes and 8 seconds. Made 40 runs, maximum speed was 49.7 mph, and maximum slope was 39 degrees.

I had a dentist appointment this morning so I missed out on First Trax. Once again had perfect teeth, just like my skiing. Afterwards, instead of East Gourmet Buffet, I went to another Chinese buffet in Hazleton and it just sucked. My dumpling was ice cold, and the food was very mediocre. It would have been worth the extra drive to Bartonsville to hit up East Gourmet Buffet. Actually, I should get a season pass for Montage because it's close to the Royal House Buffet, which is my favorite Chinese buffet because they serve tiny red squids, and they have a chocolate fountain with marshmallows and pretzel sticks that you can actually dip in the chocolate. Plus they have a wide variety of sushi, and the decor is very nice. Two thumbs up for Royal House Buffet... not so much for the buffet I went to today.

After some runs at Camelback, I checked out the hotel restaurant and had three pretzel twists with cheddar cheese for $9.54, and I tipped the bartender $2.00. I also ordered a tap water with ice, my second tap water for the day. The restaurant was moderately crowded, but at least some tables were available, unlike at Bear Creek, which must have a better restaurant because there's was packed. I meant to go for a walk to check out the indoor waterpark, as is tradition each year I ski at Camelback, but I didn't feel like walking around too far in ski boots.

After skiing, the walk back to the Nastar Glen Lodge (where I parked) was an unnecessary pain. Some blockhead put up two orange barriers at both sides over the bridge that I have to cross to get to my car. The first one I was able to bypass by walking through the woods to the right of it. Then I had to climb over the second barrier, which is about 3-4 feet high, and I got stuck halfway between it for a few seconds. It wouldn't have been so bad to get over, but carrying RTMs and ski poles while walking in ski boots made it more difficult. Overall the barriers ticked me off because I just wanted to get in my car and drive home so I could write this trip report.

Edited by saltyant
Added Nastar to the Glen Lodge because it's named after Nastar Glen, who was a cool dude that though it was funny when I got a $39 gift card from Blue when the lifts were being loaded inefficiently.

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

a walk to check out the indoor waterpark, as is tradition each year I ski at Camelback

Is it your tradition to check out the waterpark per se or girls in bikinis? Just hold on, spring is around the corner, they'll hopefully migrate to the slopes, and you won't have to interrupt your skiing for this.

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

Is it your tradition to check out the waterpark per se or girls in bikinis? Just hold on, spring is around the corner, they'll hopefully migrate to the slopes, and you won't have to interrupt your skiing for this.

One day last year I walked around the hotel just to see what's in there. It's very large and you can get to the waterpark from the Stevenson Lift without even going outside, I think. I just like to explore the vast areas that Camelback has to offer.

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

There was no skiing content in report. 

"Just got back home from a fun session at Camelback. I skied from 1:52:12 pm to 8:25:20 pm, or 6 hours, 19 minutes and 8 seconds. Made 40 runs, maximum speed was 49.7 mph, and maximum slope was 39 degrees."

Just now, saltyant said:

"Just got back home from a fun session at Camelback. I skied from 1:52:12 pm to 8:25:20 pm, or 6 hours, 19 minutes and 8 seconds. Made 40 runs, maximum speed was 49.7 mph, and maximum slope was 39 degrees."

Next time post how the runs were and how the RTMs were and what not.  Did you meet any cool people?  There were like 15 PASRs today at Blue.  Did you wear facemask and was pretzel salty lol

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

There was no skiing content in report. 

Oh, right, I almost forgot. I know MattEdge was wondering about the ski conditions. The black diamonds were mostly sheets of ice, except for The ASP which had some decent coverage on the right side of the slope with seemingly soft death cookies. I quit doing Cliffhanger because it was mostly ice. Other than that, the usual skiing. I got to do Pharoah, Bactrian, and The Hump for the first time this season. Totally rad.

I didn't meet any cool people this time because I was kind of in a cranky mood, mostly from the Stevenson Lift stopping for 3-5 minutes every single damn ride. Later on I realize I was just "hangry", and was in a better mood after eating pretzel twists.

You can add this summary to the Report since I forgot.

Edited by saltyant

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Have you figured out how to carve on ice?

Nah man. I need a lesson or something. My skiing was horrible tonight. I just keep skidding on the ice. I guess I'm becoming a terminal intermediate. Oh well.

Edited by saltyant

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Nah man. I need a lesson or something. My skiing was horrible tonight. I just keep skidding on the ice. I guess I'm becoming a terminal intermediate. Oh well.

You don't just become an advanced skier overnight can take hundreds of ski days. Anyway way to get after it despite the less than good conditions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You don't just become an advanced skier overnight can take hundreds of ski days. Anyway way to get after it despite the less than good conditions. 

True dat, as SallyCat said in some thread today. I was skiing so well last weekend when I went out 4 days in a row, and tonight I just wasn't doing as well. But like you said, the conditions weren't the greatest. I thought the snow would have retained its packed powder qualities from last weekend, since there was no warm up or rain, but I guess that's not how it works.

Edited by saltyant

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I'm going again tomorrow morning for First Trax. I would have rather done 2 morning/afternoon sessions back-to-back, instead of night and then morning.

Edited by saltyant

7 hours ago, saltyant said:

True dat, as SallyCat said in some thread today. I was skiing so well last weekend when I went out 4 days in a row, and tonight I just wasn't doing as well. But like you said, the conditions weren't the greatest. I thought the snow would have retained its packed powder qualities from last weekend, since there was no warm up or rain, but I guess that's not how it works.

That's not how it works when it's windy 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 10:29 PM, saltyant said:

. I guess I'm becoming a terminal intermediate. Oh well.

That's a choice, not your destiny. It's easy to become a competent intermediate; It takes a shitload of work to get off that plateau and become a really good skier. I'm still stuck, and I work like hell. I'm at Blue right now giving my legs a break. Blame the conditions if you want, but look around at all the people styling that icy hardpack. I want to be like them.

I look forward to skiing with you someday; we can commiserate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SallyCat said:

That's a choice, not your destiny. It's easy to become a competent intermediate; It takes a shitload of work to get off that plateau and become a really good skier. I'm still stuck, and I work like hell. I'm at Blue right now giving my legs a break. Blame the conditions if you want, but look around at all the people styling that icy hardpack. I want to be like them.

I look forward to skiing with you someday; we can commiserate!

I was skiing poorly on Saturday night when it was icy, but much better and like a boss on Sunday when the snow was nice. Yes, expert skiers do well regardless of conditions, so it's something I aspire to.

Im sure I'll meet you soon or next season if I get a season pass for Blue. I guess I will so I can ski better trails and have people to ski with every now and then, but I keep reading negative reports on Blues queue management. But at this time I tenatively plan to give Blue a try at least for one season.

Aw, don't mind my griping about the lines. The vip line moves quickly.  I'll be at CBK most Friday nights  in Jan and Feb with our school ski club. Hit me up if you're there and want to do a run or two; my colleagues and I are old, but we are pretty fucking fun imho. If you don't mention my flu thread I'll buy you a beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Aw, don't mind my griping about the lines. The vip line moves quickly.  I'll be at CBK most Friday nights  in Jan and Feb with our school ski club. Hit me up if you're there and want to do a run or two; my colleagues and I are old, but we are pretty fucking fun imho. If you don't mention my flu thread I'll buy you a beer.

Ok, as long as I dont have to wait more than 5 minutes per run in the VIP line at peak times then I dont mind. I normally dont ski Friday nights but if I do I'll send you a message. I've started doing Saturday and Sunday mornings to get all the fresh cord. Thanks for the beer offer but I only drink root beer or YooHoo. If i get a season pass for Blue I'll buy a 5 pack of beer for tailgating party for putting up with my posts.

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Ski club on Friday nights? That sucks.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Ski club on Friday nights? That sucks.

Eh, I do it as a favor to a colleague who helps me out with my model congress trip to Rutgers in April. Plus I'm old and don't go out Friday nights anyway. All I'm missing out on, frankly, is some one-way conversation with the cat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Ok, as long as I dont have to wait more than 5 minutes per run in the VIP line at peak times then I dont mind. I normally dont ski Friday nights but if I do I'll send you a message. I've started doing Saturday and Sunday mornings to get all the fresh cord. Thanks for the beer offer but I only drink root beer or YooHoo. If i get a season pass for Blue I'll buy a 5 pack of beer for tailgating party for putting up with my posts.

Ha ha, I think I owe the PASRs waaaay more beer than you do in the "putting up with posts' caregory!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1