Ikon Pass

toast21602

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Revelstoke is on there as well..that's somewhere me and Atomic Jeff have talked about hitting up..Big Sky as well but since I spent two years skiing there regularly I sort of have a been there done that attitude with BS and it doesn't hold a candle to JH

Well, right, there is a plethora of possibilities. A cluster around SLC, cluster around Denver, Aspen, Calgary... Travel considerations aside, where would you rather be and why? And which ones would you avoid and why?

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Well, right, there is a plethora of possibilities. A cluster around SLC, cluster around Denver, Aspen, Calgary... Travel considerations aside, where would you rather be and why? And which ones would you avoid and why?

As many know Jackson hole is my favorite..Jackson and Aspen are the most elite resorts on the pass and I've only been to Aspen once for five days...I'd probably most likely avoid the Vermont areas because I don't like that drive and the crowds and conditions in Vermont. Mammoth and June mountains are too far off the beaten path and little places like eldora I don't have any interest in skiing. Alta and snowbird are on it as well..I'd like to hit those..never been to either..I've heard they're very crowded but easy access.  Essentially two trips out west would pay for this pass. 

Eaf, a few trips to Vermont and a trip out west would pay for this pass.  I think some people will jump ship from the Epic Pass this year in favor of the Ikon.  It definitely benefits Colorado the most.  I think Winter Park is going to see a lot more traffic.  Unless I am staying overnight, I can't justify doing day trips to the I-70 mountains on weekends.  I can deal with the crowds because you can get some good runs in if you go early, but the traffic is a nightmare.  I do get sick of Eldora, but its like you guys with Blue.  I can be there in 35 minutes and it doesn't take up my whole day.  Next closest is Winter Park which is 1 hour 45 min.  

Hoping to check out some new places with the Ikon, maybe Aspen, and I still have yet to go to Steamboat.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Barb said:

Eaf, a few trips to Vermont and a trip out west would pay for this pass.  I think some people will jump ship from the Epic Pass this year in favor of the Ikon.  It definitely benefits Colorado the most.  I think Winter Park is going to see a lot more traffic.  Unless I am staying overnight, I can't justify doing day trips to the I-70 mountains on weekends.  I can deal with the crowds because you can get some good runs in if you go early, but the traffic is a nightmare.  I do get sick of Eldora, but its like you guys with Blue.  I can be there in 35 minutes and it doesn't take up my whole day.  Next closest is Winter Park which is 1 hour 45 min.  

Hoping to check out some new places with the Ikon, maybe Aspen, and I still have yet to go to Steamboat.

You'll like steamboat. It's primarily intermediate terrain and there's entire pods of easy blues on the upper mountain. Steamboat is too far from Denver to get real crowded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Snowbird, Mammoth, Killington and Squaw valley are all open until May or later snow permitting. 

I skied Mammoth on July 3rd last summer. If they have the snow, they really commit to staying open. It's also a great spring-skiing option because they salt their snow, so you get soft, hero spring conditions without the sticky/grabby quality of most spring snow. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I skied Mammoth on July 3rd last summer. If they have the snow, they really commit to staying open. It's also a great spring-skiing option because they salt their snow, so you get soft, hero spring conditions without the sticky/grabby quality of most spring snow. 

July?? Wow. Almost like Zermatt. It does look like it must be a PITA to get there. From SFO through Yosemite? From LAX?

5 minutes ago, eaf said:

July?? Wow. Almost like Zermatt. It does look like it must be a PITA to get there. From SFO through Yosemite? From LAX?

Reno. It's a three-hour, easy drive. I wouldn't book into SFO in the winter, because Tioga Pass is likely to be closed. The pass also includes June Mountain I believe, which I'm told is a less-crowded alternative to Mammoth. 

41 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Lodging seems way cheaper than near SLC. And direct flights from JFK. Wow, why not to hit it this May??

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

Lodging seems way cheaper than near SLC. And direct flights from JFK. Wow, why not to hit it this May??

Mammath is not having a big snow year like last year..direct flights where from JFK?  JFK is not on my radar as an airport to use...way way too far away. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

JFK is stupid far from here. And you can get cheap hotels in SLC.

Well, JFK wouldn't be the preferred airport for me either. As for lodging, I'm looking at $100/night right near the lift in Mammoth (like Mammoth Mountain Inn) vs $200-300/night at Snowbird. But yeah, once you cross into SLC itself, bargains start popping up.

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Mammath is not having a big snow year like last year..direct flights where from JFK?  JFK is not on my radar as an airport to use...way way too far away. 

Very true; The North Lake Tahoe area is getting hit with a couple of feet of snow this weekend, it looks like. That might be a better bet this spring if anything there is on a pass you have. 

For me, the great thing about spring skiing in the west is not having to pay for lodging. I just packed some basic backpacking gear and camped out. Rent a van and sleep in it, etc. 

Newark or Philly to Reno. Why would you go to JFK from here?

I can see the appeal of SLC, too, though, as far as logistics. No idea what the drive up that Canyon is like, though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Very true; The North Lake Tahoe area is getting hit with a couple of feet of snow this weekend, it looks like. That might be a better bet this spring if anything there is on a pass you have. 

For me, the great thing about spring skiing in the west is not having to pay for lodging. I just packed some basic backpacking gear and camped out. Rent a van and sleep in it, etc. 

I can see the appeal of SLC, too, though, as far as logistics. No idea what the drive up that Canyon is like, though.

SLC is super easy. If it is snowing, the canyon roads are rough. But staying centrally in SLC allows you to go south to Park City areas, stay in BCC, LCC, and the ability to go north to Ogden area. I'm thinking next year I need to get back to Utah since it has been three years now. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

What makes Jackson hole so nice is that the airport is 8 miles from town and 20 from the mountain and all the driving is in the valley.  When I do my skifari to Colorado next month it's a hour and a half drive to summit county on I-70 which goes from 5,000 feet to 11,000 feet at the Eisenhower tunnel and can sometimes be closed in snowstorms. 

1 minute ago, eaf said:

I haven't skied west at all.

No, you can't. Only from JFK and LGA.

My bad I looked up Newark and it showed New York lol.  You definitely need to ski the Rocky Mountains.  People travel from Europe and Australia to ski them. British people always used to travel to ski at Stowe in the spring time which I found odd.