Nile Mile Challenge

Timeless

• 1 month later...

With only a few people on the hill I bet I could bomb the trail (time getting off the lift to back into the lift line) in less than 2 minutes....I will have to try that some time

sounds like a plan.. just kick em in the teeth... lol lol that really makes em mad.. nah all you gotta do is stand at the bottem of the lift and like talk to them about conditions and crap

I'm good for it hehe. I've bombed that trail so many times. My only issue is at the beggining. I can never go faster than a skier because they have poles to push off with and pick up speed a lot quicker. So maybe like a skier best time and snowboarder best time.

Now Cliffy is fun too. If you go fast enough you can catch some air at that last drop off :D I remember going down it faster than some guy on skies last year and he started saying some crap at the bottom about it not being fair cuz it's one board versus two skies and blah blah blah... I didn't even know he was trying to race me.

As far as the time estimate. I have no clue. I've got a really bad time perception and when riding I'm always in a zone so time just flies by. Will need a stop watch to even figure out what I can do. But just to shoot in the dark 3 min sounds ok, depending where and start and end is.

Ok I bet I can do 2000 turns!!! Welcome Jake!! This is where it is at.. Glad to see you come on over.

If you wanted to do hop turns, you could do well, however many your legs would hold you for....You can do about 10 a foot...10*5280ish....many many turns :(

• 2 weeks later...

Or a Lazy Mile Challenge. I'm thinking I can do it in 2:30. I think I once did Main street in 49 seconds but that's unofficial since I timed it myself. I am definitely looking forward to some chinese downhills this winter.

yea i think i can get 2:00 on lazy sinc eall i do is tuck that trailwheneveri go down it.just gotta watch for when its warm and at night it gets all bumpy from people stoping then it gets interesting

im at my widest i can go on my board.i usually use them as doubles and such till i get down to lower siderwinder.

You could always try launching off them :) You accelerate faster whan in the air anyways lol. I have a mad stiff board so I don't really have issues with bumps.

I thought it was because if the skis are off the ground you have no way to turn and control your direction? I can't see from a physics reason why removing your skis from the ground three inches or more without a corresponding change in your body position would cause you to slow down. Theoretically, the drag coefficient would be less I would think. Unless you are telling me that the exposed edge of the ski drags more against air than snow?

My guess is that your bases will never cut pefectly threw the air, so as long as you fly threw the air, the tops or bottoms are hitting the air (and if wind was blowing up the hill, that woudl be even worse). The ski is going to have some drag on the snow, but they are tuned so well, I would think it would be less drag on the snow (err ice) than in the air.

If you picture your skis going down the hill, they are cutting thru air even when they are on the ground. Basically, you are on an edge most of the time, anything not touching the course is by default passing through air. I guess conceivably each inch your body takes off the snow allows more air turbulence below your body to occur but aeronautics is not my strong suit.

I definitely think Sib is on the right track here... it just seems odd to me that you would go faster with the resistance the snow adds than just the air. I thought they didn't want to stay airborne for turning reasons, and stay low to avoid crosswinds and such... dunno

Theoretically, a freefall in tuck position is faster than having your skis on snow. The top speed skiers are faster (150mph+) than someone jumping out of an airplane who is in the 'belly' position (110mph).

But when trying to go fast, the top speed skier can hit a little over 150mph, while the record speed for freefalling from a plane is 321mph.

It's all about the tuck position and riding a flat ski (edging slows you down). Catching air is slow because the skier 'opens up' and creates resistance. There's even been some change lately, with downhillers now throwing their hands behind their bodies during big air. Have you seen that? Instead of forcing their hands to their boots. It looks dangerous at 80mph, but it's been catching on.

So a skier going off a cliff in a good tuck position will be faster than a skier in an identical position on snow. But it's almost impossible to hold the necessary tuck.

I thought that the idea should only be compared with identical body shapes going on, but started to wonder about the turbulence issue. So basically it's because the midair body position is not as aerodynamic as it could be and not due to some turbulence difference as you get closer to the ground?