End is getting near

Another nice day at BB. The blew some snow on the top and bottom connectors, but none (I think) on the main slopes. Trails getting narrower, but no skid marks. 
IMG_8520.thumb.jpeg.efd11bff6feeca3f30c96ca28bae7595.jpeg

Plans to eventually put in a new trail under the lift with the room freed up from replacing the 3 double chairs with a quad. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Nice day here Sunday. Conditions held up well after the rain. Pretty firm but nicely groomed first thing. It softened up a little after noontime, but that just made it more grippy. 31 runs, top speed of 40.9, and Carv Ski:IQ of 130 (the highest I’ve hit). Sunny. Windy to start off, but it died down. A lot of kids on the slopes, but easy to avoid. Never more than a 1 or 2 chair line. Midway and Draufganger getting narrow with some skid marks, but Boulder trail was still nice and wide with no ruts. 
IMG_8528.thumb.jpeg.87af4481c9d134b5f512b84c1f84b953.jpeg

IMG_8529.thumb.jpeg.98864f5c0f8ead2f886a766e89d68f7c.jpeg

A little surprised that I liked Boulder better than Frost. Frost East Mtn has a 7 minute 45 second lift ride for 540 vertical feet. Boulder has 6 minutes for 400 feet, and a more consistent slope. Plus it doesn’t have that long runout at the bottom. 

Edited by C1erArt
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice report and have you timed how long blues lift rides are?  I just figure about 5 minutes. Could be a bit more 

Fastest quad was 4 minutes 35 seconds, Main St express 5 28, Challenge exp 5 7. I was only on the Challenge Express 3 days all year. 

I guess the quad can be pretty fast if there are no stops. 

46 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Fastest quad was 4 minutes 35 seconds, Main St express 5 28, Challenge exp 5 7. I was only on the Challenge Express 3 days all year. 

I guess the quad can be pretty fast if there are no stops. 

We were discussing lift speeds earlier. The high speeds at Blue can max out at around 1,000 feet per minute but they run them closer to 800 fps while the fastest high speed detachable are running up to 1200 fps and most fixed grips are in the 400-500 range. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 7:22 PM, C1erArt said:

My Carv report for my best run on Floyd’s. Nothing to be too proud about, but conditions were pretty soft  

IMG_1990.thumb.png.b992c129893e270f271d7381014773ca.png

IMG_1991.thumb.png.61a6081490a34e49001621065c2ed2b0.png

What do you think of Carv @C1erArt?

I've been watching and reading about them for years. Looks super interesting. 

I really think they need to build partnerships with ski schools & rental shop where people could test them out on the mountain.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, skiincy said:

What do you think of Carv @C1erArt?

I've been watching and reading about them for years. Looks super interesting. 

I really think they need to build partnerships with ski schools & rental shop where people could test them out on the mountain.

I really like them, although I had to rework the padding in my boots to account for the 3 mm thickness. You can select about 6 skill training areas (early edging, parallel skis, inside/outside ski pressure, etc). You can turn on active coaching and get a good beep or a bad beep depending on if you make the skill target for each turn. Or you can free ski, listen to your tunes, and only get the summary on the lift up. They adjust the target after about 10 turns to account for varying conditions. Ski width and stiffness, grooming, snow conditions and steepness affect your scores in addition to your skills. One tip they gave recently for parallel skis and turn shape was to imagine you have a wine glass between your boots and you tilt your boots to spill the wine from side to side without dropping the glass. 😂 Reminds me of that 70s song. They continually update the training based on the data they pull in. The units use the newer Bluetooth that can support multiple connections so you can use your earbuds, although I have wired helmet speakers. It’s also nice since I usually ski alone, it gives me something to keep occupied with. I think it’s helped my skiing a lot, particularly with reducing pressure on my inside ski, gradual build up and a quick release of pressure on the outside ski at the initiation of the next turn. A lot of data can be displayed later in the app.

Not specifically for bumps, powder or crud, but the general ski improvement helps. You do need to ski a lot to get your money’s worth. 

Edited by C1erArt
  • Like 1

Good review, I wondered about these as well. But since I already have boot heaters with a big battery I thought this would be one more thing on my boots. The wine glass analogy is interesting. I def have a bad habit of skiing with my skis too far apart, guess I learned that way and never corrected it.Trying to work on that.