NO love here for wider skis?

Philpug

Reading the thread of the Recon vs. the 4800, most of the alternatives that were offered we to narrower skis? Why is that? No one mentioned a Metron or Hot Rod that are in the upper 70-80mm waste range. Do you not think a 75mm wasted ski can be skied on the Pocs? Has anyone tried one of these skis and saw how it just busts through that early morning crud and late day piles of powder (granulated sugar))? Something like a Metron still will have a low to mid teens in the turn radious, granted 75mm in the waste is a bit more to roll over but it will carve one hellava turn. Just curious.

*note, there is no mention of Ebay vs. Stores in this thread. :)

In the morning the snow is nicely groomed-to-firm.

Later in the day, the sugar-over-hard-pack is generally not deep enough to require a wider waisted ski. I can count the times I've wished for a wider ski in the Poconos on one hand. New England, Rockies...go wider. There is no reason not to use a wider ski if you like them - it's just not necessary...

I think you can ski a wider ski in the Poconos, but a narrower waisted ski is inheritely quicker edge to edge. They for most are more nimble and quicker to make shorter turns. A wider ski is not bad for the Pocono mtns. but they take more precision, or more effort for most to turn quickly. The majority of the conditions you find in the Poconos are harder snow, ice, where I think the narrower ski would be more benefical. May just be a personal appreciation, but that is what I have noticed. I do love a wider waisted ski on bigger hills where they might be a bit more stable.

-Have love for both, just depends on conditions/mountain.

Reading the thread of the Recon vs. the 4800, most of the alternatives that were offered we to narrower skis? Why is that? No one mentioned a Metron or Hot Rod that are in the upper 70-80mm waste range. Do you not think a 75mm wasted ski can be skied on the Pocs? Has anyone tried one of these skis and saw how it just busts through that early morning crud and late day piles of powder (granulated sugar))? Something like a Metron still will have a low to mid teens in the turn radious, granted 75mm in the waste is a bit more to roll over but it will carve one hellava turn. Just curious.

*note, there is no mention of Ebay vs. Stores in this thread. :)

phil, the skis suggested would work the best for the average skier as far as i am concerned. like the ski bum rep said, you dont NEED a wider ski for skiing here, but you can still use one. the skis i am on right now are 4FRNT MSP's; 180cm long with a 92mm waist, and i love them, but they certainly arent for everyone.

I am not suggesting a 90mm wasted ski, but more in the upper 70's. I first demoed the Metrons at Elk and fell in love with them there, they worked awesome in all conditions. I never thought I would ever ski anything over a 112/73/100ish but when I got on the Metrons, they totally changed my mind. Open you minds.

Yes, I think that for those who go beyond the Poconos, even if just once a year, the CHEAPEST route is to get a midfat that can handle the conditions outside the Poconos, but also handle the Poconos. I mean OCCASIONALLY you do get fresh snow of some depth in the spring. Why not be ready for it instead of struggling?

Phil, how are the Metrons on Pocono boilerplate that is all you have say at CB at 2 PM on a Saturday?

get post everyone i just wanted to thank everyone for their help and i actually ended up getting K2 apache crossfire.....they are 115/68/99. :clap

Report back after you have a couple of days on them, let us know how you made out.!!!

I am not suggesting a 90mm wasted ski, but more in the upper 70's. I first demoed the Metrons at Elk and fell in love with them there, they worked awesome in all conditions. I never thought I would ever ski anything over a 112/73/100ish but when I got on the Metrons, they totally changed my mind. Open you minds.

I took a really hard look at them last night, I saw alot of things in them that I liked, but I am also thinking a set of Volkl Karmas tooo...

:confused

I took a really hard look at them last night, I saw alot of things in them that I liked, but I am also thinking a set of Volkl Karmas tooo...

:confused

Do you guys in the PA get enough snow to warrant the use of some serious powder skis?

Fat skis are meant to float not jib

No the topic starter said fat skis by his terms which is 80mm or maybe a little higher. But park skis are always fatter. I mean fat in Pa would be 90mm waist. Anything above that really is kinda pointless.

No the topic starter said fat skis by his terms which is 80mm or maybe a little higher. But park skis are always fatter. I mean fat in Pa would be 90mm waist. Anything above that really is kinda pointless.

Exacttly! The Seth Vicious would be overkill, inless you're droping lines in AK!

no not for me, i can get them cheap, and also id be using them in tuckermans ravine and other places its snows massive quanities, id rip on them when it does snow in pa though cuz believe it r not it actually dumps were i rip cuz of the valley, but yea 84 mm is enough for me everyday those other skis would prolly only see 14 to 15 days of use, i get scratch fs every year and wear them out, i love those

Do you guys in the PA get enough snow to warrant the use of some serious powder skis?

Fat skis are meant to float not jib

Snow in the Poconos (or the 110" @ Greek Peak, for that matter, which is compacted to account for 11" of base) isn't used for powder days. It's meant to groom right into the base. If a big snowfall happens, most PA ski areas close...and by big, I don't mean several feet :no 12" of snow CLOSES Camelback, more often than not, especially when the front or back-end of the storm has a mix in it.

Good or bad, snowfall in the Poconos is pretty irrelevant, except to create a stir in the cities and bring out the masses.

Narrow waist, razor edges, and boilerplate rules.

Ha, yeah, it's all about the timing. And you also have to hope they don't close the lifts.

'999, you have to remember, Doug and I ski at Blue, it's not Camelback we're talking about here...

My GS:9s are a 62mm waist I think. My GS:9s MIGHT be a 65 (powder skis for me :lol: )

They certainly do rip.

You're right...

Greek doesn't get many powder days. I think I had about 8 days of + 8" of fresh. But the week I spent in Steamboat in dumped every night, and the 10 days at Alta/Snowbird was epic.

Ice is for hockey, not skiing!