Bear Creek Park Website

swdorsey

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

it was nice the big jump was sick

you must have been hitting a different jump than the rest of us then buddy, cause that jump sucked, and everyone knew it. the in run was bumpy and there was no kick to the lip at all. but whatever, if you like that, i guess you'll just be super impressed once you hit a real jump.

ok im puttin on the mini slopestyle one because i havent done a video update in a while but this ussa slopestyle one im working on is super sick

Please post a link - I don't remember the website. THANKS!

also someone get a sticky on this thread

Staff, whatever happened to the idea of getting a video update section created for Bear?

the 3 skiers who placed shouldnt have from what i hear. penciled out 9s won instead of a corked 9 safety grad, corked 9, and misty 7... i dont get it.

I never heard exactly what the details of the format was. I thought it was 2 runs runs combined, if that is the case. If you wiped out on one run you were done for the second and visa versa. I could be wrong though.

Hey toast, I have been following judged events and talked to judges and people in the know. It is my understanding, that the difficulty of the trick is just a portion of the score.. Difficulty, amplitude, style, overall impression. Sooooooo better to have a pair of clean 5's than a misty 7 and one crash.

I watched the judge at the top talking about the "rules" I also watched how the majority of the competitors were yakking it up and not listening including my son. You never know who might be the next judge, in a judged recreational local event, I told my son that you never know who might be listening. Never complain about the judging, find out what the format is. Tip: hold up a little on your drop, so that the judges have some time to regroup to get a look at you.

I saw a couple of very clean cork 5's and 7's, thrown high, landed clean. I thought my son's first 5 met all of the criteria and was much easier on the eyes, but that his 7, that he got in the back seat on and just past he knuckle, wouldn't have scored as high....... JUST MY OPINION!! :)

still, i think Kevin's cork 9 with a safety grab is more stylish and technical than a penciled out 9 taken to the bottom of the landing...

just my opinion.... same with a regular cork 9 and a misty 7

tough call - hey, how come you didn't say hello?

I saw Kevin and he looked good, no doubt. However I think that many revolutions on that small of a jump kind of ruins the style. Of course, I also think that wearing your pants low should be a style No-No too :) I REALLY don't know, but it is appearing to be the 2 runs combined were scored. I saw both runs of girls and danielle landed a 3 first run second run washed out a bit. the other girls at best managed 180's - She placed 3rd? I really think the judges were looking for something more than difficulty. I heard a little bit of nepotism was there. Sucks for the kids, but parents should not be judges.

As I get deeper and deeper into this stuff, I can tell you this. I would make it REALLY clear, even to go to as far examples, like emphasize that diffulty - like cork bazillion - is only considered as 25% of the score (if that is the case) to the contestants. I think it would be great to see what judges use for scoring sheets as an example.

This is a good topic and if I had administration I would split this topic and label it freestyle judging. :nana

i wasnt there... Justin told me about what happened and who did what... and i know how Kevin's style is... same with Boyer, Miller, and Hamil... and a penciled 9 with no grabs shouldnt win anything in my opinion if there are other varieties of 9s being thrown that are more technical. jsut because he took it to the bottom of the landing doesnt mean it was better.

plus the fact that i got first in the intermediate and my buddy tyler got third

INTERMEDIATES my butt!!! sandbaggers! anyone who can cork should be expert. Which leads me to another point.

Stop with the ability categories!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ages are the only way to go! Then you/they should have one open class (like pro) where the mad money and prizes are to entice the 15 year olds who are going huge like you 2 guys.. you guys do have skills though, props!

i wasnt there... Justin told me about what happened and who did what... and i know how Kevin's style is... same with Boyer, Miller, and Hamil... and a penciled 9 with no grabs shouldnt win anything in my opinion if there are other varieties of 9s being thrown that are more technical. jsut because he took it to the bottom of the landing doesnt mean it was better.

It would help to know if it was the best of 2 runs or 2 runs combined.

Edited by Papasteeze

Here is the information for this Thursday's Best Trick Competition.

REGISTRATION takes place from 4-5:30pm at Guest Services. Registration is limited to 30 competitors in each division (first come, first served). The divisions are 12 & Under (combined ski & board), Women's (combined ski & board), Skier Novice, Skier Expert, Snowboard Novice, Snowboard Intermediate and Snowboard Expert. Registration fee is $10 and a valid lift ticket or season pass is required. Helmets are also required.

FORMAT Practice for competitors starts at 4:30. The competition starts at 6. Each competitor will get 2 runs and only the best run counts. The order of competition will be 12 & Under, Women, Snowboard Expert, Skier Expert, Snowboard Intermediate, Skier Novice, Snowboard Novice.

JUDGING Competitors will be scored by a panel of 3 judged based on these 3 criteria: Overall Impression, Trick Attack (variety/difficulty/execution) and Technical (take off & landing/amplitude/speed). Points awarded are 5 for first place, 3 for second place, 2 for third place and 1 for fourth place

JEEP KING OF THE MOUNTAIN This competition is a local qualifier for the Jeep King of the Mountain competition series. The top 3 skiers and snowboarders for both men & women will receive invitations to compete at a regional event. For more information, visit the Jeep KOM website

there ya go pops