Bear Creek Park Website

swdorsey

there ya go pops

thanks!! I am getting old and sometimes hear things.. But I swore I heard different, but hey thats cause the competitors were all gabbing when the lead judge was explaining the format at the top of the hill.

Based on the criteria for judging.. difficulty is only one sixth out of 2 categories. I don't want to be a judge, I can see how if a point score is awarded to each of those categories how the crowd favorite (wow factor) won't win

Overall Impression

variety

difficulty

execution

Technical

take off & landing

amplitude

Speed

Edited by Papasteeze

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the judging sucked all around. The kids who won novice were doing 3's and not even clearing the flat. This is a BIG AIR after all isnt it? How does a crappy 3 thats hucked with no grab and then dosent even make it to the landing beat a styled out, grabbed 180? From now on it should be if you dont make it to the landing or If you land on the flat of the jump and just ride away it should be counted as a fall. This was a big air after all and not a lets see if we can huck a no grabbed 3 and land not even half way to the landing. :banghead

it was best run out of two. essentially, it was split 1/3 on the trick, 1/3 on amplitude, and 1/3 on technical stuff(landing, take off, etc.). that format makes sense in a pipe comp, or even a slopestyle, where you are putting together an entire run and you have to be clean throughout the whole run ti make it look good. it doesnt make sense for a big air comp where you get 2 shots to show the judges what you can do. little things like how you take off and if you drop a hand on the landing should be considered, but only if two people did the same trick and you need to differentiate between the two. consistancy did not matter last night. what mattered, or should have, was that you did the BEST TRICK. if you break it down to that, its really clear who should have won and who should not have. no hard feelings towards the guys who placed top 3, cause they're nice kids and all can spin way better than i can, but there were three better tricks than the ones that placed top three. all three winners did straight 9s, some more hucked looking than others, one was taken to the bottom of the landing, the other two were landed in the middle of the landing relatively cleanly. a 9 is a hard trick, you lose your landing two times through your rotation. a misty 7 you lose your landing twice, and are completely upside down halfway through the trick. harder than a 9? i think so, and it was landed just as cleanly. a 7 with a grab, still lose your landing twice, spun 180 degrees less, but held a grab through half the rotation, making it not only look better, but a harder trick. and finally, a cork 9 safety; just as many rotations as the top 3, but off axis, with a grab. that one's pretty clear.

it doesnt make sense for a big air comp where you get 2 shots to show the judges what you can do. little things like how you take off and if you drop a hand on the landing should be considered, but only if two people did the same trick and you need to differentiate between the two. consistancy did not matter last night. what mattered, or should have, was that you did the BEST TRICK.

Great points Justo.. You are a smart guy! I want you for a judge in these comps. seriously, no sarcsim... of all the people who post on MB's - You make the most sense.

Now, with that said, there should be agreed upon list on what trick is best. Full house beats two pair kind of thing.

Edited by Papasteeze

um yeah i wasnt there but from what u guys are saying, the further u go down the landing teh higher teh score? if that is true r they looking for someone to go dumont style. as i said i wasnt there and i dont know what happened but from what i am hearing teh whole judging situation wsa recuculas. the best way to fix teh problem is to get some judges who knoww what they are talking about and have more judges, say 5. the top score and teh bottom score should be thrown out and the other 3 averaged. those are my thoughts but also to put in in perspectice some pro in freeze said "its a judged sport so there will always be the element of judges not being up to par with the competitors. People will always leave pissed because they thought they should have won and that leads to people bitching about everything. The fact of the matter is who gives a shit. im sure its nice to win teh prises and shit but if you can throw down what you think should have won dont be pissed be happy u threw shit down, because if you did other people noticed. basically my point is go out have fun, if you win you win but people will always hate judging and its a part of teh sport so deal with it

rant over

i dont know how i would react but yeah i stand by my point that it is a judged event like it or not there is no other way to do it and there will always be bitching at teh judges... by no means am i saying that the judges do a good job at bear and i would not want to be a judge but no one can argue that judging isnt subjective and style is probobaly the hardest thing to judge. think about most events anywhere i mean go on newschoolers and people bitch about every contests results... no matter what you do teh results wont ever change so next time listen at teh meetings, voice your opinion before the contest and pray that you are on teh same page as the judges... i think that even kt would agree with me on all of that after he got bitched out during the contest which by no means am i implying that kt should not have won because from what i hear the kid who won shouldnt have... the only possible solution= go orange masters style which would never work at bear creek so the "crappy" judging will most likely continue

dorsey, i think you are missing the point. the judges arent the problem, they judged their corresponding categories how they were instructed to judge them, and in that respect, they did what they were told and did it well. its the format that sucked. it just makes no sense for amplitute to count on an even scale with the actual trick being done, in a best trick format comp. i'm not pissed because i didnt win, because frankly, there were others out there better than me last night, and i'm fine with that. i'm not fine with three of my good friends getting screwed out of of medals, prizes, points for the showdown series, and pride, because of a flawed judging format. as i said before, the simplest way to put it is that the best trick of the night did not win the best trick comp. thats not hard to understand if you saw what happened last night.

p.s. its ORAGE masters, not orange. you eat oranges, you wear orage.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a little old, but a decent example of judging criteria

Big Air Judging Criteria 2002-03

Thanks for that! I hope that freestyle judges take notice

would it be helpful if i kept doing this site... do people look at it alot or am i wasting my time... comment please

I keep checking it out once a week or so looking for new stuff. Keep it rolling! Put a counter on it... The roundtopriders website just hit a million views.

yeah justo u can definately help... i want to do something on this site where there is a park update for each local mountain with each mountain having a representitive... basically exactly like the newschoolers.com park updates but at a local level and they would be on the front page... liek blue could have one bear could have one shawnee could have one and so on... then ppl could click on each park update and look at the features at each place... i think this would be really cool

i need somewhere new to host this thing, please either paskiandride or bear hook me up with some more space... im getting emails b/c so many people r goin on to the site and i have 2 much media??

I messaged Greg...

Hopefully the staff here aren't total dicks (since they kicked me out of their click) for not fitting the "mold". Hopefully in consideration of all the time and work, over a thousand dollars worth of stickers and gear and donations from me and my kids that they will allocate the webspace to you and your great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

They said they would work on it a few months back. But I am thinking that the staff isn't as interested in enhancing website as much as they are interested in debating about who is picking on who..........

Rant :banghead

why did u delete papa's post that was unnessary... ill back that up i think that what papa said was correct and everyone knows it so just admit u screwed up... papa brought alot to this site and u get rid of him because he doesnt like racers... who cares... this is a message board please dont delete this post or i will lose more respect

Papa was not removed from the staff for disliking racers. His own son is a racer, and I think he would be the first to tell you he doesn't hate racers.

I won't comment on others moderating style, but I will say we (as a site) are open to critisism and thoughts for improvment. The posts have been undeleted. Papa, if you want to slam the site, or the members who run it, thats your own perogative. Understand there will be a limit to the amount we allow you to slam us on our own site.

... it's about having fun, and learning about the snowsports. I have been lax (largely because of things like this) about reading all threads and I'm not exactly sure what it is that you are asking webspace for swdorsey. Perhaps you can elaborate or point me to the right thread. I don't have any problem giving webspace to better the sport/community, although I'm not the one paying for the space. It will be a topic of discussion for the staff.