ELK closed?

VTmark

elk only has like 4 trails lit for night skiing.... :nana

"Comments:

Snowmaking continues as temperatures permit! Night skiing is scheduled to

begin on Monday, Dec. 26th, weather permitting! Our Winter Garden Restaurant

will open on Mon. , Dec. 26, and will be open daily from 11:30 am to 9:00

pm! Terrain Park Lift is Open!"

Well, elk does't exactly have a state of the art snowmaking system. They mainly rely on natural snow. Its just one of those things that makes skiing Elk different and make you really feel like your skiing in VT. At most ski areas, your used to skiing with tower guns along the trail, but not at elk.

Yeah but they only get 70 inches per season on average. A good snowmaking system is essential if they want to remain in business and keep their passholders happy.

For 2 years, when the kids were younger (5&6) I would travel the extra hour for the better conditions at Elk... not any more since they don't really have a park.......

Elk's way of keeping up without the snowmaking power is to have excellent grooming. They groom the heck out of their trails and it shows in the final product.

On the subject of their park, they have a few rails set up right now, a flat rail, rainbow, and a rail that just looked like a peice of metal laying in the snow. Their jumps though are beauiful. There is a massive three option jump with different vert options on the takeoff and different landing distances. The one in the middle has a really long flat area before the landing and is near impossible to clear because there isn't much room in the park to get speed. My buddy and I had to start outside of the park to get speed to clear the jumps. Other than the speed issue, the jumps were beautiful. Right after that there is a nice hip setup that was fun to hit after the big tabletops.

Elk's park is fun if you only like to dabble in the park a little bit, it's not intended to be the best park around or anything. The snow quality is incredible though, I rode all day and never even saw an ice patch. First tracks were snowgasm inducing, beautiful corduroy on every trail. I love elk, if you dont mind the slow lifts and the second rate park, the place can't be beat in terms of snow conditions and trail quality. It so much fun to go on banks and in between trees. Where te lehigh and delaware trails intersect, there was even a fun little ledge to drop off of into untouched (well at least before we got there) natural powder.

elk only has like 4 trails lit for night skiing.... :nana

"Comments:

Snowmaking continues as temperatures permit! Night skiing is scheduled to

begin on Monday, Dec. 26th, weather permitting! Our Winter Garden Restaurant

will open on Mon. , Dec. 26, and will be open daily from 11:30 am to 9:00

pm! Terrain Park Lift is Open!"

I always found it funny how they mention the Winter Garden Restaurant.

Elk has sufficently upgraded their snowmaking capacity in the last few yrs. They do have a couple of trails that do not have any snowmaking at all, but those trails are great when there is sufficient natural snow. They currently have 21 trails open, and as anyone who has been there knows that their 21 trails are longer and really are trails. I always laugh when I see places like Blue (which I do like) claiming they have 30 trails!! Not even close to the size of Elk. Even Camelback which has 33 trails, but not really. The terrain park is much better than in the past. I personally know the guy who is in charge of designing the park. He has some great plans, and he is just getting started!