Wind & Lifts

mike0100

I was thinking of heading up tommorw but heard it was gonna be pretty windy w/ gusts up to 45 mph. Will camelback shut down lifts if it gets to windy ? i dont feel like driving 2 hours and then finding out there not using the lifts.

Ya they are a bunch of bitches and the small lifts will only be running.

Edited by montageskier

Fun Fact: Your average Doppelmayr high-speed quad is cleared to operate in crosswinds up to 65 mph. Fixed grip lifts can go a little higher, if I remember correctly. Nine times out of ten, mountains shut down due to lack of interest, not because it's unsafe. They'll tell you it's a saftey issue so that they don't have to refund passes.

Fun Fact: Your average Doppelmayr high-speed quad is cleared to operate in crosswinds up to 65 mph.

hmmmm.. any technical back-up - I would love to throw that one around to them or Doppelmayr - There is new management at CB and I am betting that if what you say is true then they are operating under old overly protective policies originally instated by Mr Newman.

How were the conditions? Didn't they have a shuttle or something since the lift was down???

no i dont think so..none of the kids i was riding with tonight said they needed a shuttle but i was sitting the the lodge for a good 2 hours all night and as i was just about to go out my friends came in and said they shut it down lol.

Lack of interest? I don't doubt your facts about the wind tolerance of the lift but for instance... why would anyone at CB prefer to take a fixed grip over their quads? Perhaps less lift operators?

At CB it'd be a bit silly to ride a fixed grip, considering all of the terrain is accessable by quad. Usually fixed grip chairs get tracked out less because nobody wants to ride them, so they're a plus on a pow day.

hmmmm.. any technical back-up - I would love to throw that one around to them or Doppelmayr - There is new management at CB and I am betting that if what you say is true then they are operating under old overly protective policies originally instated by Mr Newman.

65 MPH is based off what I've been told by Maintenance and the strain I've seen lifts operate under. To clarify, those are 65 MPH gusts, not a steady 65. At Mammoth we'd usually shut down shop if winds would get around a steady 45 MPH. Anything over that is just no fun for anyone. Staff doesn't want to stand outside and guests usually retire to the lodge after one run. Honestly, I'd rather see resorts play it on the safe side. Chairs won't fall off a line with gusts at 65, but it's very possible that guests can get blown off chairs.

I wouldn't suggest relaying any of this info to anyone important. I'm not quite sure how far info from a kid who worked a season as a lift op will take you.

I wouldn't suggest relaying any of this info to anyone important. I'm not quite sure how far info from a kid who worked a season as a lift op will take you.

Yeah, I guess thats why I asked if there was any technical back up that you knew of. It seems the concensus form other members here is that CB shuts the quads prematurely frequently. The wind is till howling - I'd venture there were wind gusts up over 50 throughout the night. Off to MC for Nipples biggest comp so far this season.

Doug and I today at Blue almost got blown off the chair, at the last minute when we were about to unload, since the wind was at our backs going up the lift. At one point, they chairs were swinging pretty good, I thought we might hit the tower, but it wasn't too close. Whatever the wind speed was today, I don't know if I'd ride on a lift at any higher then that...

ahh today at montage it was windy as fuck...we had a guy filming me and my friends..he was from the outdoors sports on fox..and he got like 1 and a half runs of us rails and jumps..but i didnt get to hit our 35 footer in it i had to hit a rail so i did..but the wind killed it i took 4 runs today and i stay there from 10 AM-4:30 PM but me and my friends just fucked around all day it was fun.

So you can say F-ck on here but not brownie??? Why not just official PASR posting rules or it will be one free for all? :banghead

Taken from... http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.php?act=boardrules

We want PASkiandRide to be a fun place to talk about skiing and snowboarding, in and around Pennsylvania. We want our members to be able to voice they?re opinion, and not feel like censorship is staring them down. While we allow such free speech, we do not expect members to become out of hand, which then intervention will be required. Please enjoy our site and keep it clean!

There is no set rules, simply a request to keep it a family friendly enviroment. Do you need further clarification?

Montage has a sign near the ski school meeting place that says foul language is forbidden. It was pointed out to me by an instructor while I was waiting for Glenn who was in a 2 person, 30 minute lift ticket line. I thought I was using the F word quietly...

Montage has a sign near the ski school meeting place that says foul language is forbidden. It was pointed out to me by an instructor while I was waiting for Glenn who was in a 2 person, 30 minute lift ticket line. I thought I was using the F word quietly...

haha thats funny cause montageskier and 2 of our other friends got there passes cliped on the one corner cause of bad language on the lift.

but ya ill try to keep the language down a bit..if u guys really wanna make this a family friendly board u should get some kinda language block..ive seen it on some messege boards before it would say something like this !@#$.ya u guys should look into doing that..

Thanks for the link, I think we need to get rid of some the icons... :cuddle::sex:upyers:snowpee::deadhorse::killyourself::sniffcrack::smoke:

Hey doug, you post so much on here, i'm surprised that you forgot about this little buddy :bj.

Anyway, to get back on topic, winds were REALLY bad today. I saw a chair hit the tower today on the challenge lift at blue. I even rocked the safety bar, just to keep from falling out