Need a better way home.

sexkitten

OK guys... How can I get home from Blue Mt. (going to the Pottstown area) and not use MacArthur Rd.? Every weekend the damn thing is packed and it takes forever for us to get home. The longer the drive the shorter my nap becomes, so I really need to find a better way. HELP! Thanks in advance.

I have a good route for you, coming out of the lower lot make a right, then make a left toward Palmerton, get on the PA turnpike at the Mahoning Valley exit and travel south to Quakertown, then travel west to Pottstown. I'm surprised Philly people get off at the Lehigh Valley exit as opposed to the Mahoning Valley exit due to the long line of cars going up 145 and the often long backup at 248. I'm also surprised that alot of Jersey people including Metz use 145 when they can get on 248 from Route 22 and 33.

the way that Doug siad is the way i've been going... it feels longer because your on the turnike more but in the long run it's faster, especially when 145 is backed up... i don't know if anyonme takes 22, but that sucks too w/ all the merge on's. Mahoning valley is defenitley the way.

Coming from Jersy, we take 33 to 248 to 946. This drops you out at the ski shop where the pizza place used to be. Go right and your 5 minutes away.

i usually take rt 33 -> rt 22 -> rt 512 -> rt 248 -> rt 946. it's much better than taking the MacArthur Rd exit, but i'm not sure how it compares with rt 33 -> rt 248 -> rt 946. the way that i go involves taking 22 for a short time, so i don't get stuck on it, but i'm wondering what 248 is like on the part that is east of rt 512. i'm afraid of being stuck on a slow local road with tons of traffic lights and speed restrictions. has anyone compared the two?

248 is 50-55mph pretty much the whole time except when you go through nazareth and bath, other than that, its pretty much windy back road with no stops. i dont see how going 22 to 512 to 248 to 946 is faster than just hopping on 145 straight to the mtn unless you are taking 22 west and not east though.

248 is 50-55mph pretty much the whole time except when you go through nazareth and bath, other than that, its pretty much windy back road with no stops. i dont see how going 22 to 512 to 248 to 946 is faster than just hopping on 145 straight to the mtn unless you are taking 22 west and not east though.

thanks. and yes, i'm coming from NJ, so I would be taking 22 west for a long time until i get to 145. the only time i had to deal with traffic while going to blue mtn was when i was taking this route. i think i remember that 145 also has the shopping area, which caused traffic problems.

for all of you who take 145 take the alternate routes. especially if you are traveling between the hours of 8am-7pm. if you are coming home after blue closes 145 is not bad at all though. so just learn both routes and go the alterante routes between those hours. otherwise i'd say take 145 because really early in the morning and late at night you don't hit too many lights since they are all trigered lights. so unless there are people waiting at the intersection you should hit greens almost the entire way. plus at night you can go a little faster with less traffic around, and odds are the cops won't be out as much.

I go my way. Which gets you to the lehigh valley on ramp, and takes the same amout of time as 145, if not faster, except if you go between 3-4pm, which at those times my way takes longer. Take 309 north to 873 north through slatington and walnutport. keep following 873, cross 248, and just keep following that road. once you're on 873, its a straight shot to blue mountain drive. bust a left at the light and get your ski on.

Some advice on taking 145 up to blue, is watch out for cops. Its mainly on the way up because you are traveling downhill, and the cops park in these hidden areas you can't see until you pass them. On the way home from blue the only place to watch out for them on 145 is at the bottom of the hill before you go up it.

Edit: The area I'm talking about is the last 5 miles or so before you hit the Triechlers Bridge to cross over the Lehigh River.

Edited by skifreak

thanks. and yes, i'm coming from NJ, so I would be taking 22 west for a long time until i get to 145.

Do u get on 22 at that Phillipsburg exit off 78? If so, don't do that! Stay on 78 longer [approx 8 miles] til u can get on 33.

Okay, here's my .02 as for ways to get to Blue, cuz I think I've tried em all.

Coming from the NJ area, I still think getting off at the LV exit n then taking 22 to 145 is fastest. Taking the next exit off the TPk is another 19 miles! Then ur on 248 for another 10 or so. If u take 22 to 248 ur on there for like 25ish miles - too many miles to stay on that road. I'd shoot myself.

My friend insisted on us taking 33 to 512 to 946 1 nite coming back from VT - not TOO terrible since it was like 1am. It's easy to fly on 512, but it's also easy to get stuck behind somebody who drives obnoxiously slow. Same goes for 946. Watch out for school buses. Ugh.

I've also done 512 to Lower Smith Gap or whatever the fock that 12 1/2 mile windy road behind Blue is.. that's a funnnn road to drive. 1st 1 lane bridge is 6 miles in, the 2nd is 1 mile after. Def NOT a fun road at nite or in the ice.

Justo, cutting off at Grouse road off of 248 and intersecting with 946 in 3 miles is faster then taking 248 to blue mtn drive. I take airport road (by my house) to the end, make a left onto 248 for about 100 feet, hang a right onto grouse road, take that to the end (3 miles) left on 946, and 6 miles later you're at Blue.