Gondola Derailed

lastduchess113

I've often thought about situations like this. When I'm on a lift I look up sometimes when I hit a tower. All there really is, is a set of wheels. They are slightly indented to hold the cable, but thats it. Why not just have something on either side of the wheels that would prevent derailings? This would keep lifts running when there are wind advisories, and keep accidents like this from happening.

I've often thought about situations like this. When I'm on a lift I look up sometimes when I hit a tower. All there really is, is a set of wheels. They are slightly indented to hold the cable, but thats it. Why not just have something on either side of the wheels that would prevent derailings? This would keep lifts running when there are wind advisories, and keep accidents like this from happening.

yes, there is an open side to where you can see the cable. but theyre not just resting there. theyre clamped down. theres a spring you can see on there, not sure how much holding force it puts out, but the lift arms arent just sittin on the cable. when you hit a station, the clamp releases and goes on track. when ts put back on the cable, it clamps back on.

im pretty sure thats right

If you look close the next time you ride a lift, you will see a "catch" on the other side of the sheeve(wheel). It is there to catch the cable if there was ever to be a derail. It only let's the cable drop a few inches. And they have finger switches on each one to stop the lift if and when this happens. There is also a counter weight at the bottom of each lift, witch drops to counter act the slack in the line to keep the lift line from hitting the ground. I worked as a lift mechanic for 3 yrs at bear creek and was lucky enough to never see this happen, but there are so many fail safes to save the lift riders that you would never hit the ground or really come close. Unless the cable snaps. Every year they have to test each and every chair and lift line. For the grips(clamps on top of the chair) they run 3 test on each one. And for the chairs and lines they actually load the chairs with 55 gallon drums of water to act as people weight and they run multiable test on roll back and stopping power of each lift and line. But still no one can predict what mother nature brings as far as wind and weather. Hope this helps

They want to put one in here when they expand the nice little out of the way place my locker is, into the main lodge this summer. The skiers are having as now if we ski the bottom part of the mountain we will have to take our skis off, get on this thing, then put them on for the next lift.

That stupid gondola is the reason that I never go to MC anymore. What a dumb idea.

At Tremblant they have the same thing to get you from the lot to the hill. It goes over some of the village area including the spas, etc. It's nice, unlike MC.

Edited by setagehtta

• 2 months later...

I've never been to MC but 3 out of 4 people I talk to hate that gondola.

It doesn't look too comfy. I look forward to sitting down and not standing in ski boots. A six pack might have been just as good. I plan on going to MC this season, so I will have to experience it for myself.

That stupid gondola is the reason that I never go to MC anymore. What a dumb idea.

At Tremblant they have the same thing to get you from the lot to the hill. It goes over some of the village area including the spas, etc. It's nice, unlike MC.

you must not be into park if you are letting the Gondola keep you from going to MC hahaha