Volkl Karmas

steezy

So im pretty sure that I have made up my mind on buying the Volkl Karmas this season. Anyone ride them? And if so what are your opions. I would also be looking for opions on a killer boot/binding set up for that ski. Im a expert all mountain skier who loves the groomed but also loves to dip into the park and pipe alot.... Any thoughts ?

They consistently get rated the best all mountain twin year after year. I bought a pair the first year Volkl made them and was amped to get on them but unfortunately they were drilled through when I had them mounted and could not get another pair. They are pretty stiff which is why they are rated so high for all mountain. They'll handle the pow fine, they'll rip groomers, and be a pretty good everything ski. They're not gonna butter or jump as well as a more park specific ski, but they'll keep up with if not surpass alot of the more mountain oriented skis of the same size and specs. If you can't have a pow/ripping ski and a park only ski, then that is definitely the ski I'd buy.

Papasteeze skis a pair. I'm sure he'll have some better input for ya.

Are you kidding me? I shopped last season and decided on a mid fat for my western ski. I was excited to have the ski so I tried it out early in the season and they were good. It felt weird to to have a fat ski underneath so I went back to my all mountain LINES.. I also have Atomic GS and Slalom skis when the mood strikes me. Any how, I was noticing more chatter from my lines than I remembered from the season before and one day I switched back to the karmas ... I ran them hard, through everything gs race turns on hard pack, crud at the bottom of the slopes, bumps.

Okay long story short. You will love them, can't go wrong.

Edit: I can't speak for boots, thats a personal choice. Bindings too. BTW - I have contemplated selling mine just so I can get this years model. The graphic and top sheet changed but is still the same ski.

Edited by Papasteeze

A lot of people like the 2 year old Rossi Axial line of binding (before they eliminated the turntable heel cup) for park. Not sure what people are using now that Rossi has gotten rid of the turntable being that I'm not riding park for my skis, and we still have stock of the Rossi Axials from the past at my shop and still sell most of the twin tips with those.

http://www.untracked.com/p998-0512_rossign...e_bindings.html

Usually the Axial 140, the TI or Pro ranges.

Some people also like the Look bindings, we've mounted them but I hear they're actually rebranded and made by someone else? I'm not sure we dont' sell them. Tyrolia makes a nice binding as well. I'm not entirely sure, I know skis well but ski bindings confuse the shit out of me so I let the guy who runs our ski dept pick them out. Unforanetly now that most manufactures have systems on the free ride skis, they stopped talking about bindings at the tech seminars, so I know a shitload about skis and not a damn about the differances between bindings.

As for the skis, they're great. I hear good and bad things about lines, which one did you have papa? We had a few returned last year becuase of delam and shit, but they sent a letter about their quality issues and we decided to not drop them and see how it goes this year. A few guys in our shop have the Prophets and love them. There is also a guy on Scratch FS that he loves, and I almost bought a pair before my speeding ticket last year. He swears you can ride them everywhere, but I haven't tried them on anything steep.

A lot of people like the 2 year old Rossi Axial line of binding (before they eliminated the turntable heel cup) for park. Not sure what people are using now that Rossi has gotten rid of the turntable being that I'm not riding park for my skis, and we still have stock of the Rossi Axials from the past at my shop and still sell most of the twin tips with those.

Usually the Axial 140, the TI or Pro ranges.

Some people also like the Look bindings, we've mounted them but I hear they're actually rebranded and made by someone else? I'm not sure we dont' sell them. Tyrolia makes a nice binding as well. I'm not entirely sure, I know skis well but ski bindings confuse the shit out of me so I let the guy who runs our ski dept pick them out. Unforanetly now that most manufactures have systems on the free ride skis, they stopped talking about bindings at the tech seminars, so I know a shitload about skis and not a damn about the differances between bindings.

look and rossi bindings are the same things. back in the day when rossi bought look, they started using look's binding tech. now quik owns them both, so they still share a lot of the same technology, i.e. bindings. i ride look p12 jibs on all my stuff, which are a few years old, but they hold up well. if you arent really riding park a ton, dont get the jibs. if you want look/rossi, get a pair with a bit of a lifter under them, since it will help you get the ski up on edge better for all mountain riding. the new px/axial2 bindings release almost identically to the older version, even though mechanically, the heel is different. i've skied them and i actually like how they ski better on an all mountain ski, but not necesarily on a park ski due to the longer mounting pattern. for an all mountain ski they are nice because there is a lot less play in the binding and its stiffer torsionally, which translates energy to the ski better, which equals quicker turns and better edge grip.

if you dont wanna go with look/rossi, there are lots of other alternatives too. from marker, the m12 free would be an ok bet, or from salomon, the z12. the only stuff i'd recommend from tyrolia/fischer would be the race stuff or the mojo 15 bindings. the majority of their stuff seems kind of cheap to me to be putting on that level of ski.

How much? Shoot me a PM if your actully thinking about it...

I haven't seen any resales yet. I am not sure of the value. I would imagine that they are up there. Mine are in excellent shape, with a race tune (1 and 3) like I said I was thinking about it only to get this years graphics. Make me an offer.

My bro has those bindings on a pair of Rossi Scratch Pros. From what he tells me he loves them.