snowmaking?

EAZY-Emuntz

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think bear will start tomorrow night. i think they want it to get cool and let the ground get a little colder first, since i mean it was like 72 freaking degrees yesterday. but yeh i think bear should open this weekend some time.

30 degrees tomorrow night = not cold enough to make snow

If they start Monday it'll give them 5 nights to get the mountain open. Thats only the night too, they cant blow during the day. Alot of references to them being able to open in 3 or 4 days means just that. They need to blow continuosly to get the mountain open and they're not going to have that. The week after this is going to get warm again.

Its now or never.

let me tell you all a little story, about 5 years ago spring mt had posted a december 18th opening date. 2 days before they were suppose to open, they had NO snow. none. nil. but they blew thursday night and friday during the day. come saturday, they were open. not the whole mountain, but the main trail was completely covered. moral of the story... if spring mt can do it, bear creek can do it 100X better.

Have patience, this weather is not favorable for making snow to create a good base.... Bear Creek will be opening soon enough.

patience is not one of my virtues

pessimism is, if you can call it a virtue

in "this weather" do you mean 40s day and 20s night?

if thats not favourable then we aint gonna be riding at Bear till January

sorry if I seem mad

I am

but dont take it personally

http://www.skibearcreek.com/winter/winter_...ortwetbulb.aspx

this is a great table that shows what temps and humidity levels are needed to blow snow.... if the temps hang in the upper 20's yes you can make snow but not nearly as much if the temps were in the low 20's high teens.

This I realize, but at this point Bear needs to make a decision.

Try and make the snow and open within the week, or hold off opening for another few weeks much to the disappointment of not a few season pass holders. Myself included.

The choice is entirely up to you guys.

I just assumed you had something to do with them there

sorry if I'm mistaken

when i was at the mountain in early october they looked to be doing alot of work and working pretty hard at getting thigns done. it was also chilly and a hoodie was needed, so i thought that cold was on its way.

it would be ashame for them to not open up, but honestly i think they would open at least some sort of terrain if the lifts arent done. there is no way a resort would miss out on christmas break, thats alot of income to not have.

hopefully i get home from work tomrrow night to find out they snow was blown at bear, with pictures to prove it. i need something to get that image that i just saw off of camelbacks webcam out of my head so i can stop worrying about if i made a mistake getting a pass to bear and not blue or cb. guess ill have to go play gears of war for now to pass time.

Is Bear even done installing the triple chair lift where the double was? I don't think so. I don't even think they finished that new one for the kids. :banghead

Dumb^ I WENT to Bear Creek yesterday and they had completed it and everything is ready. They have new snowmaking machines and like 60% better snowmaking abilities. They propose the 12th!! its a tuesday, Be ready.!.!.

http://www.skibearcreek.com/winter/winter_...ortwetbulb.aspx

this is a great table that shows what temps and humidity levels are needed to blow snow.... if the temps hang in the upper 20's yes you can make snow but not nearly as much if the temps were in the low 20's high teens.

If that chart is accurate, Bear, if they are committed to getting open, should be able to crank up the snow guns sometime tomorrow after sunset. And conditions should be ideal every night this week as well.

Translation = they should be open by next weekend if they want to be. And if they arent, one of the other mountains will be.

So thats not all too bad of an opening considering how unseasonably warm its been.

Thats especially true when you Consider the fact that New England is just really gettin goin this week as well. Im in Vermont, and everything except for Jay and Killington is closed until tomorrow or Tuesday at the earliest.

I work up at Stowe, and they have only even been open since Black Friday (with only one poorly covered trail) Its hasnt been a promising early season, but I think things are looking up. All I know is that I hope bear is opened up within the next 10 days for when I get home because the park improvements look dope.

http://skicamelback.com/?nav=press_Snowmak...resumes%2006-07

And according to this, Camelback has already started making snow.

http://www.skibluemt.com/PhotoGallery

and Blue too

http://www.jfbb.com/image.asp

and JFBB

http://www.mountaincreek.com/mountain_info...120206_comp.htm

annnnnd Creek....

A friend of mine who had a meeting thing up there today was told that bear only will have about 6 hours of blowing temps. for the whole week and thats only enough time to test the system. So i think the best guess for opening is the 16th. But the only way for all of us to really know is to have the Glorious Mark answer the big question. So mark when are we projected to open (earliest to latest date)?

A friend of mine who had a meeting thing up there today was told that bear only will have about 6 hours of blowing temps. for the whole week and thats only enough time to test the system. So i think the best guess for opening is the 16th. But the only way for all of us to really know is to have the Glorious Mark answer the big question. So mark when are we projected to open (earliest to latest date)?

6 hours of blowing temps this week? That doesn't sound right. At all. :banghead

:lol well according to accuweather, monday, tuesday, thursday, and friday nights may offer 6 hours of snowmaking each

i know this guy thats is a ski patroller and he said that they made snow last night and they are tonight

if i remember swdorsey said not to listen to ski patrollers, now i know why

:lol well according to accuweather, monday, tuesday, thursday, and friday nights may offer 6 hours of snowmaking each

if i remember swdorsey said not to listen to ski patrollers, now i know why

Bear Creek is lying to us. They make us *not* feel excited, but then I bet you 1 dollar they will open on Friday! :rock:rofl