snowmaking?

EAZY-Emuntz

The Farmers' Almanac is funny...they claim 80% accuracy, while their major storm predications are closer to 5% correct. The 50 and 100 year trends are used by meteorologists, as well as the FA. If you look at any 15 day forecast, day 10 through 15 are usually just the average temperature for those days, as well as what the normal precipitation for the particular season.

I thought a quote from a Yahoo website that is a lot like Ask.com summed it up: "I once read a report on the accuracy of the farmer's almanac, written by a university student who majored in statistics and climatology. The conclusion was that the farmer's almanac is no more accurate than if you make your own guess."

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its unrealistic to expect for places in this area, given the types of winters we have, to be able to keep enough snow into April, so unless they have some kind of real strategy for doing that, then they shouldn't tempt us like that. I'd rather be surprised than have my hopes crushed like that ;)

naaaa.... BC wanted to do a May rail Jam in 05 and they did the big air in mid april 06. It just boils down to whether there is cold enough weather for them to blow deep..

For instance I know that BB plans to blow an inch or 2 every night they can just to keep the parks prime.

naaaa.... BC wanted to do a May rail Jam in 05 and they did the big air in mid april 06.

April 1st is mid-april?

It just boils down to whether there is cold enough weather for them to blow deep..

Great - but given our mild winters, low altitude, and the expense of snowmaking, is this realistically ever going to happen?

Just checked Accuweather and the temps look good for the future starting at..(these are all low temps)

Dec 3- 28*

Dec 4- 28*

Dec 5- 28*

Dec 6- 30*

Dec 7- 26*

Dec 8- 18*

Dec 9 - 19*

Dec 10- 21*

Dec 11- 25*

Dec 12- 26*

:rock:rock:chea:

looks like bear should be open soon!

They are precentages? :confused Oh what ever, the numbers are low enough so I like it :rock

grrr...the 16th we might have Circuit City come out and install our plasma TV on the wall. My mom and dad both have work, and I know I'm gonna get screwing into staying home. They're coming 9-11 too, so that pretty much ruins my day.

Looks like I'll have to go on just Sunday then. I was planning on goin both days on opening weekend but oh well...

Yea, its definitely possible. I think the LATEST we'll see PA resorts opening is the weekend of the 16th, anyway. The 8th is very possible too. After this weekend the whole week is cold enough for snowmaking...blue should be open the 8th...but the 16th is probably gonna be the deadline all resorts in PA are shooting for

I saw about the warming trend too on the accuweather 15 day forecast...at this point I'll be happy if there's local skiing by Christmas..

at this point im thinking about moving. shit i remember skiing at montage thanksgiving weekend when i was young. i see the trend also, i guess im just driving up north every weekend to get my half off at killy with my bc pass :banghead

Heard from a Bear Creek Ski Instructor that they're starting to make snow this friday, he also said with the 30 new automated machines that it's going to take about 4 days less to cover enough to open, if that made any sense

:huh:

so we can cover the mtn in a hr then haha, with the perfect weather we could open the mtn in 4days nonstop blowing

Now since the cold has finally arrived, do you think bear will make snow? cuz idk about you but i need to go snowboarding!

I don't know about you, but i've been snowboarding everyday for the last couple of weeks. Sure, it's been in my bedroom...but it makes for some killer presses :rock