Camelback Closed

Papasteeze

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i fucking hate CB so much now. I bought a pass again this year like every other year, but this isnt every other year. I went yesterday and was discusted with it. They have shit open and a shit base of 6 inches. I hit a nice rock and dented in the nose of my board. Thanks camelback , for making me love big boulder and making me feel better for buying a boulder season pass.

i fucking hate CB so much now. I bought a pass again this year like every other year, but this isnt every other year. I went yesterday and was discusted with it. They have shit open and a shit base of 6 inches. I hit a nice rock and dented in the nose of my board. Thanks camelback , for making me love big boulder and making me feel better for buying a boulder season pass.

So you are bitching in this thread about how they are closed for snowmaking, and bitching about how they have a small base and you are hitting rocks?

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Sno mountain didn't even open yet, stop your crying.

Sorry to the pass holders, but...HAHAHA. Thats the stupidest thing ever. I highly doubt that they'll even be able to make snow around the clock, especially considering the high for both those days in Tannersville is ~40F. A lot of times they just keep the snowguns on during the warmer parts of the day just to say they made snow 'round the clock, because they know temps will drop right after sunset. Then when they do that, it causes mass amounts of ice if they don't get it covered before it freezes over. Thats just my opinion, I don't know the exact temps up there at all times of day, because they're not rad enough to post the temp (and humidity) on their webcam like BB.

Again...I do feel for the passholders, that just ain't right closing the Mt. like that.

Edited by NiftySHIFTY

I honestly couldn't be happier because a majority of the passholders wouldnt want to ski in that crap anyway( the condition the mountain is in now). And im sure some of them are happy because camelback is taking the time to repair the mountain.its ok we will have the last laugh. I talked with the new owner and everyone is gonna be surprised this year.

Here's my take on things, I had this convo on the lift with Rob this pas weekend. When CB didn't open during the relative cold weather they lost the opportunity to get the base packed out. They spread the snow and opened when things were warm and the base never set. Things were slushy and they lost alot of snow. I really don't think the surface conditions are much different than what other areas are experiencing. However the secondary or base conditions were much softer earlier in the week. Today they were blowing at 2:30 p.m. or so. I'm not sure what that says about 'round the clock snowmaking the next few days, but I was suprised it was cold enough to make snow.

They had had 2 unique, but resonably covered, ways to get down the mountain today. They NEED to get more terrain open, and although I'll be bummed about not riding wed or thur (at CB) it's probably for the best in the long run. The weather has been lousy and CB took a gamble on waiting and lost.

I think CB passholders should be wise to early/late seasons being a gift at best from the CB managment, and although thats a pretty lousy spot to be in, it's something I knew ahead of time. So I think I will hit up BB and/or Blue this week and then head north to Whiteface on friday. Hopefully by the time I return, the weather will have made a turn for the better, and this closing business will be history.

I honestly couldn't be happier because a majority of the passholders wouldnt want to ski in that crap anyway( the condition the mountain is in now).

While I think matters should be taken to get the mountain in a better "working order" I would much rather they do it while I"m still riding. I rode with tons of passholders this week that were happy just to be able to ride. It's early in the season, and the weather has been warm. I'll take what I can get. Also... all things considered that conditions weren't crap. The first hardpack I came across was today, and I still wasn't having a hard time carving it with a detuned board.

Please stop making assumptions about what the "passholders" would and wouldn't like to ski/ride on.

So you are bitching in this thread about how they are closed for snowmaking, and bitching about how they have a small base and you are hitting rocks?

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Sno mountain didn't even open yet, stop your crying.

oh i eat my god damn cake

im bitching b/c CB is shit and could of avoided all this as others have already said. I bought a pass to the shit hole, the least i could do is bitch.

Edited by freeridintre
over zestful use of the f-bomb

PS. - fuck sno mountain , montage was always shit and churching up its name wont help.

Are you serious? They may have had slow lifts and some snowmaking problems (snowmaking problem has already been fixed and the lifts will be next year), but Montage has arguably some of the best terrain out there. To each his own I guess, I'll enjoy my open trails of 1000 foot vert and you can enjoy wall to wall people on 300 feet of headwall and 500 feet of runout. :wiggle

Edited by Schifdawg

Are you serious? They may have had slow lifts and some snowmaking problems (snowmaking problem has already been fixed and the lifts will be next year), but Montage has arguably some of the best terrain out there. To each his own I guess, I'll enjoy my open trails of 1000 foot vert and you can enjoy wall to wall people on 300 feet of headwall and 500 feet of runout. :wiggle

Does montage really have top to bottom steeps? I thought the steep bits only ran half the mountain, from the lodge down?

Given that CB F'd it up by not opening that first weekend when they would have had decent conditions but chose to wait to open this last weekend with much worse conditions, they really don't have choice but to try and repair the slopes they do have and try and get some more open before Christmas. Having only the runs they had this weekend, with the Christmas traffic would be a clusterf$%k.

Here's my take on things, I had this convo on the lift with Rob this pas weekend. When CB didn't open during the relative cold weather they lost the opportunity to get the base packed out. They spread the snow and opened when things were warm and the base never set.

WORD... having the distinct advantage of traveling back and forth between BB and CB. I am totally convinced that if CB had done what BB did they would not be in the position they are. I can also tell you this. BB has been blowing on nights when CB did not, the temps were the same, I doubt the humidity was any different. The only thing I can speculate on is that the water temps must have been different. THen again.. BB was the first to blow snow in our area many years ago, so maybe they just know a little more about how to get it done.

I talked with the new owner and everyone is gonna be surprised this year.

Thats the same crap they are feeding me dude... Problem is, that if it were really true they would have announced it by now. Keeping secrets does nothing for ticket sales. You were told that to settle you down. I took that kind of bait too... either announce what you were told or chalk it up as bullshit...

Dead give away on why I think I am right... did they ask you to keep it to yourself? did you ask why?

The only thing I am aware of that they haven't announced is their sponsorship of the 3 event series, One in Bethlehem, one at CB and one at Buckmans parking lot however those dates are on their calendar, just no press release yet.

It's funny how Camelback passholders just accept the fact that Camelback often closes for a few days during the ski season..Blue doesn't pull that kind of shit because they know that certain passholders like to ski everyday.

No...

CB makes their money on weekenders. Blue I'm going to guess makes a much larger chunk of money on their season pass holders. It's seems regardless of what they do, CB will still make money, and they know it. So they offer the best possible situation for the people they are marketing to.

Blue would do the same thing if the had the same crowd, IE they were located on RT 80 and the closest pocono resort to NYC.

I bought my season pass there because it was cheaper (by alot) than any other mountain could offer, and it is 13 minutes from where I go to school. Having 2 high speed lifts also helps. I bought it without the expectations of early/late season benefits of mountains like Blue, and BB. I also bought it knowing the park wouldn't be as good and the vertical drop would not exceed 800 ft. Anyone who bought there season pass without this knowledge... well I feel sorry for them.

To me it's more worthwhile to drive around to some different resorts now and at the end of the season, than drive an additional 20+ minutes to other mountains all season long.

According to the conditions page they are only blowing (if at all) on the trails they had open last week, so the best we can hope for over the coming weekend and into the christmas break is the same trails as last weekend and (many) more people.

That's going to get really tiresome, really quickly <_<

This is a joke, right?

This has to be a joke.

I was being extremely sarcastic. I mean why would they open and not have night skiing?

They don't have night skiing when they are open during the day now because.............................

As far as those freakin light go, it baffles me why they keep them on all night.... they say it is because of safety reasons. I wonder if they had something happen years ago while blowing snow at night before the lights.

They don't have night skiing when they are open during the day now because.............................

Because (at least in theory) it helps preserve what snow they have right now. Also, attendance isn't high. No one is buying day tickets (let alone night), it's just not a worth while venture, for the time being.

... at least in their eyes.