widow park

James Lamar

That's what happens when you take a popular free-ski trail and turn it into a park. The more trails you turn into a park, the more people you are going to have on them who aren't there to use the park. That's one of the reasons I don't like them turning Widow into a park. And you won't see these turned into "park pass" trails because they would loose money on people who go to just ski/ride. They might have been better to turn Little Boulder into a park, instead if Widow, that way two of the three parks would be in one spot and they both would be out of the way of other skiers/riders. I do like Tannenbaum being a regular trail now...it makes for a nice carving trail, if you want to mellow out.

Edited by bigdaddyk

I don't think widow is a good trail for the park personally.

1) It is really narrow, the One park at JF and the Boulder park will both have enough room for skiers to go down NEXT to the jump line. Merry widow, they have no choice (at least right now) but to go over the jump knuckle, even if they are good enough to realize this, which most people aren't.

2) It winds a bit, which means that up top is mostly going to be jibs.

3) When it does straighten out, the terrain isn't quite right for jumps. A little bit of pushing dirt in the summer can smooth all that out, but I felt like the landings on the jumps are shorter than they could be. If they moved the jumps a bit closer that would be nicer too.

I would consider the best solution might be to flatten out the pipe, cut the tree line back 20-30 feet, and plant new trees where the pipe used to be. This would open up the bottom straight section a bit more. The pipe there will never be a good one, it is super short and cramped anyway, so bag it. That would give more room for people to ride through, or make a double line.

I'd rather give up the easy intro park at JF than make Little Boulder into a park, it is too short and flat. They already have a park like that (the freedom park). I think if they just had the One Park at JF, and a little park on Frosty, that would be enough. It would be lift serviced, which would be nice, and out of the way. Janes Lane is destroyed by having the intro park on it as a riding trail because the rails are kind of in odd places, with crowds of new people who are afraid to hit things. SO they just sit there all day staring. I don't hate on them for being like that, but move that off to Frosty and leave Janes Lane as it is.

You don't need a trail that big for an intro park, there are only so many ways you have to setup ride on rails and boxes and 6 foot jumps.

I don't think widow is a good trail for the park personally.

1) It is really narrow, the One park at JF and the Boulder park will both have enough room for skiers to go down NEXT to the jump line. Merry widow, they have no choice (at least right now) but to go over the jump knuckle, even if they are good enough to realize this, which most people aren't.

2) It winds a bit, which means that up top is mostly going to be jibs.

3) When it does straighten out, the terrain isn't quite right for jumps. A little bit of pushing dirt in the summer can smooth all that out, but I felt like the landings on the jumps are shorter than they could be. If they moved the jumps a bit closer that would be nicer too.

I would consider the best solution might be to flatten out the pipe, cut the tree line back 20-30 feet, and plant new trees where the pipe used to be. This would open up the bottom straight section a bit more. The pipe there will never be a good one, it is super short and cramped anyway, so bag it. That would give more room for people to ride through, or make a double line.

I'd rather give up the easy intro park at JF than make Little Boulder into a park, it is too short and flat. They already have a park like that (the freedom park). I think if they just had the One Park at JF, and a little park on Frosty, that would be enough. It would be lift serviced, which would be nice, and out of the way. Janes Lane is destroyed by having the intro park on it as a riding trail because the rails are kind of in odd places, with crowds of new people who are afraid to hit things. SO they just sit there all day staring. I don't hate on them for being like that, but move that off to Frosty and leave Janes Lane as it is.

You don't need a trail that big for an intro park, there are only so many ways you have to setup ride on rails and boxes and 6 foot jumps.

Jane's lane would make a nice free riding/ skiing trail. If everything would be on one side of Widow, it might not be as bad, but being a narrow, winding trail is a down side of it being a park.

Over the summer we did take out a significant amount of tree's on Merry Widow,it's still not enough though.I know myself and other's were against this idea,but were ignored as usual.This trail was probally the most popular freeskiing trail @ BB.And I'm sure quite alot of family-type skiers arent too happy about it neither,but they were ignored I guess as well.No small wonder JFBB season pass sales were down 60 percent last time I checked.

Over the summer we did take out a significant amount of tree's on Merry Widow,it's still not enough though.I know myself and other's were against this idea,but were ignored as usual.This trail was probally the most popular freeskiing trail @ BB.And I'm sure quite alot of family-type skiers arent too happy about it neither,but they were ignored I guess as well.No small wonder JFBB season pass sales were down 60 percent last time I checked.

I loved it as a "free trail" :(

the name changed from Big Boulder to Big Boulder Park take a guess whats gunna happen over the next few years

Umm......go out of business from losing your core customer's?No offense against park rider's,but they are not the bread and butter of your revenue.I can't see many of the people who came to Big Boulder in the past returning even 1-2 more year's after there sock's get rocked off at "Boulder Park".That's if you can even make it down the access road or through the parking lot without blowing up your car by then.

I totally agree with the wayy too many people there tonight. It was absolutely packed when I got there just before 4. I never had to wait long for a lift, but the trails were just packed with people that were so obviously on vacation from Ny and Jersey. Parks were crowded, but decently maintained. Park crew definately showed a presence. Merry Widow was good, but being my second day I didn't hit any of the jumps there. Just the one rail at the top and the battleship at the bottom, which was pretty sweet.

Freedom park was pretty good, some nice rails and boxes and the jumps were nice to ease into the season on.

I definately saw nipples there today. I was chilling and waiting for the box at the bottom of freedom park and someone yelled "nipples", It was definately him, but was gone by the time I hit the box. I was up in a black hoodie and no hat if anyone saw me. :wiggle

yea i dont think its a great idea but think about it frost is a freeride mt and boulder a park resort im sure there are alot of park riders willing to make the change and its not just about customers they would also be able to pick up other sponsors and big competitions there arent many but there are some souly park resorts

We did take alot of trees off of Widow...I never seen so many pissed....hey NOT MY CHOICE......I think that whoever thought of that idea smoked a lito bit to much crack, and forgot to pass it afterwards....a free ride trail it should have been kept....now look at...alot of ppl complain bout it....apparently some ppl just don't care about investigating a topic first.....its all act now think later.....BAD IDEA.....it never did me any good being that way....and now look what u got....alot of ppl upset, and its to late to go back....even if next year its a free ride trail again, the trees are still cut, and thats not easy to replace....

Now when it comes to the ppl on the trail....thats outta everyones hands....hopefully everyone plays safe and just has fun

I think that a park specific resort would do very well, especially if they have good features. I've been riding at Bear Creek for a while and the majority of the terrain there is covered with crazy rails, boxes, jumps....therefore the majority of the people riding there are hitting stuff. I know that if Boulder turned their entire mountain into a park I would buy a pass there and I'm sure that there are a lot of others that would too.

I think that a park specific resort would do very well, especially if they have good features. I've been riding at Bear Creek for a while and the majority of the terrain there is covered with crazy rails, boxes, jumps....therefore the majority of the people riding there are hitting stuff. I know that if Boulder turned their entire mountain into a park I would buy a pass there and I'm sure that there are a lot of others that would too.

I think you would almost have to open a new resort for a park only resort. Remember, BB is a family type resort where a lot of people go to learn how to ski/ ride. I think it would hurt their business. Around here, you need to have something that caters to everybody.

yea i dont think its a great idea but think about it frost is a freeride mt and boulder a park resort im sure there are alot of park riders willing to make the change and its not just about customers they would also be able to pick up other sponsors and big competitions there arent many but there are some souly park resorts

I think it would really hurt their business. People like having the two resorts to choose from. Turning BB into a "park" would cut off the choices. They would also almost have to put night skiing in at JF, to accomodate the whole spectrum of customers, especially those who can't get out during the day.

the name changed from Big Boulder to Big Boulder Park take a guess whats gunna happen over the next few years

If they keep turning trails into parks :thumbdown

I was just about to log last night's riding at boulder but when I went to the list of verts for PA mountains it didn't seemt to be working, kind of like Doug's editing. :tinfoil:

Anyone have numbers for Boulder?

Edited by Schifdawg

I was just about to log last night's riding at boulder but when I went to the list of verts for PA mountains it didn't seemt to be working, kind of like Doug's editing. :tinfoil:

Anyone have numbers for Boulder?

BB = Base 1700ft.

Summit 2175ft.

Vertical 475ft.

JF = Base 1400ft.

Summit 2000ft.

Vertical 600ft.

Interesting tidbit,top of East Mtn. lift 2075ft on altimeter,so that might screw you up if you ride up there alot.

BB = Base 1700ft.

Summit 2175ft.

Vertical 475ft.

JF = Base 1400ft.

Summit 2000ft.

Vertical 600ft.

Interesting tidbit,top of East Mtn. lift 2075ft on altimeter,so that might screw you up if you ride up there alot.

That tidbit is pretty interesting actually. Thanks YummerzZz. Does anyone know how many feet the other lifts that don't go all the way to the top do?

That tidbit is pretty interesting actually. Thanks YummerzZz. Does anyone know how many feet the other lifts that don't go all the way to the top do?

That would be 2000 ft..I don't understand why we never measured from the top of Lightning or East for vertical,missing out a a mad marketing opportunity,lolz.Nah I know,2000 is a nice,round number.Except E or F lift,they go about 1/4 the way down.I never took the altimeter down there so just minus about 1/4 I guess.

Edited by YummerzZz

i personally like the set up pretty much

a few suggestions

move the top 2 rails down a little bit more you can barley get speed for the street rail

move the next box uphill a little so you can hit that then hit the jumps with stopping

move the upslope rail to the last jump

put a his and hers at the first hit and make the landings of both jumps steeper

open upper stitzmark so they can put a fence and sign on top of merry widow

where the last jump is put the upslope rail and off to the side put the Oakley Rail Jam staircase in

widen up the bottom so there can be 3 jibs

finally switch the propane tank around 2 how it was at first

somewhere around the park you should put in a barrel like the one that was at frost except bigger like the propane tanks at Mt Snow

unic, so you and others know this. they have been blowing just enough snow each night to keep things acceptable while still trying to get tubing open which helps them make money. as soon as it gets cold enough to blow more than just a few hours Big Boulder trail will open and there will be an entire rebuild to both parks. With a good cold spell expect big boulder trail to be the one that everyone talks about.

Drop your suggestions as to boulderpark@jfbb.com that will get to the right people, they appreciate all input. a lot of bb people read this board however an email will work better for them to print out and consider your suggestions.

I'm really looking forward to seeing/hitting this channel gap that's been talked about. Supposed to be the first hit I think...should be HUGE! I just hope they put a nice hip in that you can go slow into but still get a ton of pop off of, I saw one in the Jan issue of Snowboarder Mag. and it looked FUN. Speed isn't always the key for air if the jump is built right, and I'm sure BB knows how to build jumps.