"Radar Love" coming to a mountain near you

mtnbiker99x

Beaver Creek, CO has "Rangers" with yellow jackets, badges on their coats and radar guns to enforce speeding in the slow speed zone.

(See attached photo)

It won't be long before you find this at a mountain near you.

It kind of reminds me of the song below:

--------------------------------

I've been driving all night, my hand's wet on the wheel

There's a voice in my head, that drives me heel

It's my baby callin', says I need you here

And it's half past four and I'm shifting gear

When she's lonely and the longing gets too much

She sends a cable coming in from above

Don't need no phone at all

We've got a thing that's called: Radar love

We've got a wave in the air

Radar love

The radio's playing some forgotten song

Brenda Lee's: "Coming on strong"

The road's got me hypnotised

And I'm speeding into a new sunrise

When I get lonely, and I'm sure I've had enough

She sends her comfort coming in from above

Don't need no letters at all

We've got a thing that's called: Radar love

We've got a line in the sky

No more speed I'm almost there

Gotta keep cool, now gotta take care

Last car to pass, here I go!

And the line of cars drove down real slow

And the radio played that forgotten song

Brenda Lee's Coming on strong

And the newsman sang his same old song

One more Radar love has gone

Saftey Patrol at Northstar has these things, too. It's kinda silly when they stop you.

"You were going too fast"

"Really? How fast was I going?"

"You were going 24 miles per hour and that is too fast for our saftey zones"

"Oh, well, sorry about that, I didn't realize I was speeding because there are no posted speed limits and I don't have a speedometer in my brain"

"..."

I'm personally a fan of stopping next to Saftey Patrol and asking them if they can tell me how fast I'm going when I tuck it on the next run.

stupid

My question is: Instead of going after advanced skiiers/riders, why doesnt ski patrol and rangers go after beginners on diamonds, sitting on landings of jumps, etc.

Last nite at BB i was going off the first jump in the bigger park, as i start to land i see a guy fly by-rolling down the hill head over heels, skis and poles everywhere. Thank God he stayed left of me or i could have gotten serioulsy hurt. At the lift he told us he was a beginner who could ski but didnt know how to stop. That is how accidents happen

:werd

Haha DHarrisburg I like your new sig...haha

Ski patrollers should be there to assist medically....not be the mo-fo police..The booter mountain patrollers be toting heat in they fanny packs...a whistle, a pad, frozen pens, lipstick, and a big can of whoop ass if you go over 12mph in a slow zone. It should be interesting this weekend with all the racer kids back training on uber limited terrain along with 50 of Booter mountains finest doing they thang...ya kna mean..O.K. time to deliver some personalized granite..ya heard...Give a shout out if you see the truck on 476 or 276...Holla

Actually a lot of the mountains out west including Beaver Creek either have saftey patrols or ranger patrols similar to CB.

The people that run "radar" at Beaver Creek are not Ski Patrol they are "Ranger Patrol"

I think it is a positive thing where they run the radar becasue it is near the base area where several trails merge to a major lift. There is no need to speed in an area like that.

I would think mountains around here will run radar in similar areas in the future.

Man, if the don't want you to speed, are they going to pass out wrist speedometers or something?? Or are they going to just have rangers standing there yelling for people to "SLOW DOWN!" They could have a big police radar speedometer i guess. That displays your speed when you go past. If this is for real, what a joke.

They better just post rangers at the merge points on the trails, signs are always a good thing too.

The ski patrol/rangers may not be police, but some sure do carry the attitude they are. Last year at Blue, was in the slow skiing area by the Main St. double chair going slow b/c there were a few people.. ski patrol dude comes thru pretty fast, talking and looking at his buddy on his right. By the time I see this, I had a split second to react, tried to move and brace myself as much as I could.. the guy grazes me and he goes down.. then proceeds to yell at me for going to fast thru the slow skiing zone!! He wanted to take my ticket but he knew he was in the wrong.. just was too embarassed to admit he was wrong.

Authority types are cool.. Try this.. Talk to them!! with the Rangers and Patrol at CB for example I frequently seek them out to ride on the lift and chatter thier ears off with stuff like...

"is it true that you guys sling em, the yellow jackets sting em?"
Usually they get a little up tight, then go,
"It was a joke! lighten up! What you never heard that?"
- Then I lead into stuff like
explain to me what the no-invert rule is and how they enforce no feet over the head in the pipe...
Or --- ask them how they feel, and what do they do
about all the people frequently sitting in the middle of the trail
.... Ask them,
"which trails can I ski fast on?"....
just load em up! LOL!

As couple of people can attest on this board I have a lot of fun with the rangers and patrol and also found that they tend to leave you alone later on the hill as a result.

Edited by Papasteeze

Actually a lot of the mountains out west including Beaver Creek either have saftey patrols or ranger patrols similar to CB.

The people that run "radar" at Beaver Creek are not Ski Patrol they are "Ranger Patrol"

I think it is a positive thing where they run the radar becasue it is near the base area where several trails merge to a major lift. There is no need to speed in an area like that.

I would think mountains around here will run radar in similar areas in the future.

I can see how it is a good thing in slow zones. As long as they don't start setting up speed traps along the mountain. That would be lame.

As far as speed in general goes I think that as long as you are in control, not buzzing real close to people, and are not going through an area where an accident is then you should be able to go as fast as you can handle. I don't spend all that time working on my edges and waxing my bases for nothing. :rock:rock

Common sense, which seems to be lacking here, should prevail. If it is crowded, like most weekends and holidays, the general rule followed by most patrollers and rangers is; nobody should be skiing dramatically faster than the average flow of a trail. If it is a easier trail with alot of "newbies" obviously the pace should be slower. If it is an uncrowded expert, than there is usually more leniancy. Alot of the determination is also based on percieved amount of "control" a skier and rider exhibit.

We are trying to protect you from season ending mishaps caused by out of control skiers and riders (including yourself).

Speed is easy, carving slow, meticulous, even-sided turns is way more difficult and will make you a much better skier or rider.

Yes, we talk to anyone who is above their ability on a trail, yes there is still a video for violators of the responsibility code, and yes, sometimes doing the slow meticulous thing gets boring, but, it will improve your skiing. It's like a car without power steering. The slower you go, the more work involved in changeing direction. Faster = easier ( basically the physics of how a ski and lean angle and what not).

Don't get me wrong, me likey going mach chicken, but, there is a time and place. Crowds = not time and place.

What do you do when you are snowboarding and you can't go slower? When you are actually carving a snowboard, it doesn't slow down in the turns much at all unless you over carve. So on my big cruising board, when I lay down turns I'm in complete control but I don't slow down. Add in a great wax job and I'm flying. So what should I do? Are you guys going to buy me a slower board? Or should I just spray snow everywhere when I have to speed check because I can't turn a race board any tighter? What if I spray snow on you but I'm slowing down is that ok?

I absolutely can't stand anyone telling me to slow down on my board. Thats a lot of the fun of the sport is to be able to fly down a slope. Why should I slow myself and have less fun just because there are other people around that may not be quite as good as I am. Its kind of like "no child left behind", the smarter or better have to suffer because of people that are behind the curve.

The place for learning and going slow is the bunny slope. Once you graduate to the rest of the hill you've on your own. I love ripping down smooth cruisers, just because you decided to head off the bunny too ealry doesn't mean I should suffer.

I absolutely can't stand anyone telling me to slow down on my board. Thats a lot of the fun of the sport is to be able to fly down a slope. Why should I slow myself and have less fun just because there are other people around that may not be quite as good as I am. Its kind of like "no child left behind", the smarter or better have to suffer because of people that are behind the curve.

The place for learning and going slow is the bunny slope. Once you graduate to the rest of the hill you've on your own. I love ripping down smooth cruisers, just because you decided to head off the bunny too ealry doesn't mean I should suffer.

agreed

especially since no matter how fast i go, i've NEVER hit someone while going down a hill.

A guy was walking in the base area while I was stopping and he literally walked right in front of me in the middle of me stopping. Then he got mad when I knocked him over and I was like, hey ever think to look up the hill before stepping out in front of skier traffic? There is a limit to how fast you can stop and I was cranking it to stop.

Well, here I go, It doesn't matter if your on a race board, race skis or jet-powered snowblades. If you are on a trail that has a crowd, and your zipping by everyone and getting close or causeing the other people to be overly alarmed, we will speak with you and ask you to turn it down a notch or two. If you look "out of control" you will be warned and in some cases voided depending on severity.

Believe me, the Ski Patrol does not want to have to talk with anyone about skiing to fast, but, we really do not want to haul anyone off of the hill because they got hurt.

We are the one department that management does not want to be busy.

Ski911, you say you have more "leniancy" on an uncrowded expert for people skiing fast. I hope there is no efforcement for speeders on an uncrowded expert. If there is, that's insane, and I'm definatly flying down the diamonds with my hair on fire because I'm going so fast. My favorite thing to do is arc turns at mach 10 at the yellow coats as they hide in their crown vic's on the side of Marjies :banghead You're telling the wrong group of people to slow down, it simply won't work. KnuckleD should come to CB one day :rofl

Work on your pocono shuffle, I'll take my hair on fire. :sprint

At CB I haven't seen any Rangers on black trails (last year or year before) enforcing anything except people that should not be on there. I seen rangers get on people that are on their 1st day of skis trying the blacks with the ever familair look--"snowplow of death" I have seen rangers get after people flying down crowded green trails. On the black and blue trails I have not seen anything like what is talked about.

Maybe things are diffrent at Blue or some of the other mountains.