CB Email 2-15-07

Papasteeze

Camelback received over 12 inches on Natural snow in the past week and will be 100% open for the weekend; we will be skiing and riding on 33 trails and up to 13 lifts including both of our high-speed quad lifts. Our 2 Halfpipes and 3 Terrain Parks will be open! The Snowtubing Park is 100% open from 9am to 9pm this weekend.

We resumed round the clock snowmaking this week to increase base depth and trail conditioning. We currently have a base of 36 to 76 inches with beautiful Packed Powder snow conditions. Come out and see why Camelback is the number one choice for winter fun!

Our New 14 foot walled 2 acre Halfpipe, Rhodo Terrain Park and Lower Moore's Terrain Park are open daily 9am to 9pm. We currently have up to 15 different rails and boxes, a 20 foot high Wall Ride, 9 different hits, a 10 ft high walled halfpipe, a 14 foot high walled halfpipe and a 12 foot high Quarter Pipe. That is over 18 acres of Terrain Parks and Halpipes!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The park hours give them time to set-up and paint, rake, mark, net and shovel. Test, sand, file, and whatever else they have to do. The also have to undo all of the markings and nets and things so the groomers can get in there.

Makes sense I guess, extremely lame though. How come no other mountain does it?

because other mountains can get it done in a timely manner...

I sincerely doubt they have to file every rail every day and even so why not do it after they close. Also what about the other places? They all have parks which are open every minute that the hill is. I hate to draw comparisons but over at Boulder 3 guys can completely refresh the Freedom Park, (10 features +-1) in less than half an hour. And this includes time walking, hanging out, and waiting for people to hit stuff (they do it continually all day as most of you know). I'm not saying you need refreshing during the day (it wouldn't hurt) but to say that you need 2 hours taken out of the day to work on the park is completely contradictory to the model shown by all of the other pocono resorts as well as any others outside the area that I have visited.

I worked at a golf course for 5 years as a greenskeeper. From sun up to sun down there were people playing golf on that course. To keep someone off of the course for maintenance work is simply unheard of. At 7am play began every day. This is why I was there at 6 every morning and nearly finished with certain jobs by 7. Now I can tell you from experience that cutting 4 greens or re cutting the 18 cups is a much longer job than raking lips and putting up fences. Even if something came up or I was moving slowly that day the people who paid the big bucks to get on the course always had a right of way. I've dodged many a ball, and even had 2 holes cut on one green (didn't get the old hold plugged up yet) when someone had to play through. I would step aside, smile and even help with a lost ball or a green reading.

I guess what I'm getting at is that park crew should get there early and get the job done. When you go somewhere and pay a lot of money for something ,(lift tickets are certainly not cheap, especially for a college kid) you expect to get what you paid for. I don't have a season pass to anywhere so every time I drive to a mountain and cringe when I pay the bill for a ticket I always try to get the most for my money. Having a park closed for 2 hours of the day, closing half the mountain (because its too cold), and other such practices make it really hard for me to feel that I am really getting my money's worth that day.

I don't want this to be seen as a rant/flame against CB. I like the mountain. Lets call this constructive criticism.

Rhodo Terrain Park has been expanded to Lower Moore's Ramble, which now has a Snail Box, Battleship Rail, Flat Down Box, Hip, and 1 hit. The Rhodo Park features include the Jibzilla Box, Flat Down Flat Rail, 40 foot Flat Rail, Flat to Down Rail, C Box, Wall Ride and 4 hits. Laurel Glade Park features include a Rainbow Box, Flat Down Box, 16 foot Flat Box, Up to Flat Box, 3 Hits and 3 Picnic Tables. The Laurel Glade Half pipe, Oak Grove Half Pipe and Quarter Pipe were re-cut today. The Rocket will have bumps for Saturday.

Read it and weep you loser hater douchenozzle They expanded the advanced park into another run and are bumping up an advanced run. See what happens if you give them a chance.

No you would rather continue the personal whinefest and trolling for CB haters. I hope they make it so the park is only open from 7-8PM and you have to pay $50 a run to go down. Then they close the lift at 7:30 just to piss you off. It would be even better if they removed the requirement for park passes and every noob from the tri state area is in there laying in front of all the approaches and in the landings talking on their cell phones.

Waaaah waaah waaah CB doesn't care about the park or advanced riders. They only care about lureing noobs from the city with their bogus marketing!! waaaahhhh Idon't like it booo hooo hoooo It isn't fairrrr waaahhhhh

On the side thread there: I can kind of understand how the park may open an hour later and close an hour earlier than the rest of the mountain. They do have a lot of work to do. If logistically possible then they probably should have it open with the rest of the mountain. Maybe the system currently in place doesn't allow that, I don't know. Definately something to be looked at by mgmt.

If logistically possible then they probably should have it open with the rest of the mountain.

Lets put it in perspective, I've never seen another mountain in the country that had daily hours that where shorter than the rest of the mountain. Maybe closed a day here or a day there to work on it, but to have open 2 hours less than the rest of the mountain is very unusual. Honestly does it matter? Not really. In the morning get a few runs on nicely groomed trails in to warm up and loosen up before you get to the park. At the end of the night it is icy anyway - so for all the bitching it doesn't actually make a difference at all. But Camelback is the only mountain I know that does it.

Skizilla knock off the attacks on papasteeze. Feel free to argue, but your childish attacks aren't welcome.

I think CB opens the parks later because they have a park pass. Their park crew checks passes, but I also think they do some basic maintence work first thing in the morning. If they are on hill doing work they can't be at the gate. I could be wrong.

I also think they do some basic maintence work first thing in the morning. If they are on hill doing work they can't be at the gate. I could be wrong.

A week ago - park crew told me that they were not allowed to maintain-rework the lip or landings to the jibs in Rhodo. FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, my guess is that you misunderstood what they said. Changeing the setups has to be done under the direction of the guys in charge of the park crew, but, the park crew can maintain as needed.

I wish I had a camera that morning, and then a recorder of what was said. I am sorry ski911 - but you and others are really clueless when it comes to park maintenance, set ups or what ever you want to call it.

Suggestion: get the guy who is charge of the park crew out there every day then. Of course I am sure that we were there the one day he was off, got sick, had a flat tire...........

No, my guess is that you misunderstood what they said. Changeing the setups has to be done under the direction of the guys in charge of the park crew, but, the park crew can maintain as needed.

Does park crew like this set up and agree with the guy in charge?

uh, is this a jump or a rail?

daily_hi_3.jpg

why are you asking him? he has no idea what a good setup is if he thinks that the parks are "good"

ski911 is a good guy toast, I just think he is just a little misled into believing that CB knows what it is doing with thier parks or what is going on. I don't think he realizes the safety aspect of just how poor the jibs and jumps are at CB. I offered a ticket and time to him, but he either missed my offer or is not interested or doesn't have the time.

Skizilla knock off the attacks on papasteeze. Feel free to argue, but your childish attacks aren't welcome.

I think CB opens the parks later because they have a park pass. Their park crew checks passes, but I also think they do some basic maintence work first thing in the morning. If they are on hill doing work they can't be at the gate. I could be wrong.

I get your point. How about doing something about the blatant trolling. My comments point out all the non stop bitching whenever somebody has something nice to say about CB. Everyone has heard his whining about CB mgmt to no end. He says nothing new and fills up every thread with garbage. All he does is attack CB and anyone that likes the place. That's ok???? If he chills I will.

Take a look and you will notice that there are quite a few others that feel the same as I do. Tell him to stay in the Blue or BB forum if all he wants to do is bash CB.

Edited by Skizilla

I get your point. How about doing something about the blatant trolling. My childish attacks make as much sense as his non stop bitching whenever somebody has something nice to say about CB. Everyone has heard his whining about CB mgmt to no end. He says nothing new and fills up every thread with garbage. All he does is attack CB and anyone that likes the place. That's ok???? If he chills I will.

so let me understand something -

the way this message board works is that I give my opinion on CB repeatedly and then that allows you to make personal derogatory posts about me because of my posts ?

so who is spreading garbage?

***** news flash! accept that CB's parks suck and that people will always say that until they don't - Until then - use the ignore button and don't read my posts if they bother you that much.

Edited by Papasteeze

I get your point. How about doing something about the blatant trolling. My comments point out all the non stop bitching whenever somebody has something nice to say about CB. Everyone has heard his whining about CB mgmt to no end. He says nothing new and fills up every thread with garbage. All he does is attack CB and anyone that likes the place. That's ok???? If he chills I will.

Take a look and you will notice that there are quite a few others that feel the same as I do. Tell him to stay in the Blue or BB forum if all he wants to do is bash CB.

I manage the trolling when possible. However, PapaSteeze is not trolling. He actually does visit the mountain, and has a pretty good handle on what is good and what is not (both at CB and elsewhere). He's the most knowledgeable gaper I've ever met, and his opinion means alot more to me and many other park rats than the countless others who are trying to get him to shut up.

Understandably this may be frustrating to you, since you work (or volunteer) at CB and have a great time every time you are there. I have a season pass there and usually enjoy myself, but... when it comes to the park, things need LOTS of work. The noisy well gets the grease, and a few here are trying to be as noisy as possible. It's not against our sites rules, and in fact, it was one of the reasons the site was created.

It's been refered to as PA bitch and post more times than I can remember, but it is what it is. I enjoy reading your posts skizilla and hope you would never leave our site, but in the end if you don't like listening to the complaints than maybe this message board isn't for you.