My proposal for a new trail at Blue

IrishSnow686

I mentioned this in a thread yesterday in a report from my day at Blue.. but for those who didn't read it:

I suggested adding a new trail at Blue next to the lower terrain park, using 1/2 of the learing slope and returing back to the base of the 6-pack. Alot of people use the lower park if they are coming down Shuttle or lower sidewinder rather than skiing/riding that flat section back to Home Stretch. Getting into the lower park at times can be pretty crazy b/c alot of these people either sit outside the entrance or just inside.. watching people hit the jumps. Then they 'drop in' like they are going to take a jump and then ski/ride right by it never hitting one jump/box and causing many people to lose speed or avoid a feature all together.

My proposal (if it has been suggested before I did not know) that a small trail be added just to the left of the terrain park (if you are looking down the mtn) and connect it to the learning slope. Blue has 4 learning hills... to me that is more than enough. The lower school hill is plenty wide to cut in 1/2 or 1/3 to give people coming down Shuttle & lower sidewinder a trail to return back to the base, avoiding the lower park and also the flat section back to home stretch while still keeping the other 1/2 or 2/3 as a school hill. Just divide it with a fence, bushes..whatever.

Edited by IrishSnow686

I don't think the trail that you propose is at all necessary. That is the purpose of Shuttle, and Shuttle fulfills it well. This problem could be remedied by changing the grade on/around Shuttle so that you don't have to skate or push yourself on the last stretch before Home Stretch. However, it is not that big of a deal, and I do not foresee Blue making any changes.

A more important change: flatten out the land at the entrance of the six-pack.

It shouldn't be an extraordinary amount of money. But I'm not going to speculate farther, not knowing any facts about landscaping...

However, as I said above, on thing Blue Mountain MUST do is regrade the entrance to the six-pack. It's tough to wait in any line for that lift because of the gentle downward slope, and once the liftie tells tells people to arrange themselves to get on the lift, everything goes to hell and people get mismatched. I can't stand it when the lifties get pissed that people aren't grouped in sixes to get on the lift because it's hard to do given the slope. Granted, sometimes people are just idiots (I saw one guy and his wife hold back from their group of six. Then he fell and the lift went over him. Once he recovered, he just sat down on the lift and then the liftie told him he had to move to the load line and wouldn't start the lift until more people got on that chair (to discredit the liftie, the this was around 8-9pm and the lines were short enough where it wasn't a big deal if he let them ride up by themselves, but that's another story. I think he just wanted to make a statement (though it wasn't a big deal))) (Wow, two nested parenthetical statements. I hope I said that correctly and nobody gets confused). But really, you can't always blame the skiers for not being able to load properly. Even I have trouble holding still on that slope.

It shouldn't be an extraordinary amount of money. But I'm not going to speculate farther, not knowing any facts about landscaping...

However, as I said above, on thing Blue Mountain MUST do is regrade the entrance to the six-pack. It's tough to wait in any line for that lift because of the gentle downward slope, and once the liftie tells tells people to arrange themselves to get on the lift, everything goes to hell and people get mismatched. I can't stand it when the lifties get pissed that people aren't grouped in sixes to get on the lift because it's hard to do given the slope. Granted, sometimes people are just idiots (I saw one guy and his wife hold back from their group of six. Then he fell and the lift went over him. Once he recovered, he just sat down on the lift and then the liftie told him he had to move to the load line and wouldn't start the lift until more people got on that chair (to discredit the liftie, the this was around 8-9pm and the lines were short enough where it wasn't a big deal if he let them ride up by themselves, but that's another story. I think he just wanted to make a statement (though it wasn't a big deal))) (Wow, two nested parenthetical statements. I hope I said that correctly and nobody gets confused). But really, you can't always blame the skiers for not being able to load properly. Even I have trouble holding still on that slope.

I couldn't agree more. I hate needing to pole like my life depends on it in the lift line in order to keep off of the guy in front of me.

However, as I said above, on thing Blue Mountain MUST do is regrade the entrance to the six-pack.

actually the grommers did that. its flat ground just with all that snow piled up it gives it that slope, i know this how(i work at that lift)

Is that why that side of the teaching hill doesn't have snow?

you would be correct stevo penndot said if they have to plow the road one more time they were going to shut down blue mtn

........ penndot said if they have to plow the road one more time they were going to shut down blue mtn

And we all know that PennDot is not too good at plowing roads! If they could shut down I78, I80, & I81 last week after 4" of snow, I guess they could shut down Blue Mountain! (or at least access to it!) :rofl

Here's another idea; how about a handle tow for the lower park? There are a lot people who just want to do the lower the park. Instead of hiking the park, they ride the 6-Pack to the top and ride down Tut's to Lazy Mile (or the big park which they not ready for) just to get back to the lower park. It would take poeple off the 6-Pack and Lazy who just want to do the park anyway.

if the lower park had a handle tow, it would get more trashed than it already does. i think everything is fine the way it is. you wont have to pole across shuttle or whatever that is if you are going fast enough. there are flat trails like that at every mountain. get used to it or stop skiing.

A more important change: flatten out the land at the entrance of the six-pack.

I agree.

Are you a programmer?...

They need the 6-pack because it gets freaking crowded at Blue...crowds this season have been way worse than last season but liftlines are less...woo hoo for the 6-pack

The few times we have been there it seemed that the six pack is inefficient, most of the time carrying less than 6 people. Trying to coordinate 6 people that are strangers doesn't seem to work. There's always one person that eff's it up for the next groups. People are too stuck on the "I just want the 4 or 5 of us to ride together" or they simply can't count. Maybe I'm just over analyzing the situation. Once again. When we see the lines stacking up at the 6 and the quad we leave...

Edited by boblikescats

The few times we have been there it seemed that the six pack is inefficient, most of the time carrying less than 6 people. Trying to coordinate 6 people that are strangers doesn't seem to work. There's always one person that eff's it up for the next groups. People are too stuck on the "I just want the 4 or 5 of us to ride together" or they simply can't count. Maybe I'm just over analyzing the situation. Once again. When we see the lines stacking up at the 6 and the quad we leave...

I go up there Friday nights to ride, and I noticed the same thing... Except Friday nights is Ski Clubs nights and u have a million little kids running around... This has made me come to the conclusion that they need to re-teach how to count to 6 when kids hit at least 8th grade... I was there the other night, and I saw 4 different groups of these kids go up... Right away I counted seven people :confused , the one time the lift attendant didn't even notice till it was about to start going...

Or you get the kids who dont ride with anyone else but their friends, so they stand in the runway for the lift till their friends are all even... at the same time this is defeating the whole purpose of the guy sorting everyone out....

Maybe i diagram with 6 stick figures and little numbers above their heads would help? :banghead

Or you get the kids who dont ride with anyone else but their friends, so they stand in the runway for the lift till their friends are all even... at the same time this is defeating the whole purpose of the guy sorting everyone out....

I hate that. It's not like they aren't going to end up at the same place. Unfortunately you can't keep stupid people off the mountain. At least once per visit Bob and I end up on the 6 pack alone. We don't mind but it seems like a waste.