Anyone know how late sno plans on stayin open?

sjb269

As of last week, no decision has been made, although they are probably looking at a fairly early closing to be able to begin construction. They want to do some of the things the Washo lawsuit held them up from doing. Again, another product of the jerkwad commissioner making it hard on the new owners because he got greedy.

One of the really, really smart employees approached the owners with the idea of closing the upper slopes, but running the Phoebe Sno lift on the North Face late into the spring. Everyone, including season pass holders, would have to buy a $10 lift ticket. We'd be able to ski until the snow was gone. There's even a ticket window in the blue trailer right next to the lift in the parking lot. Everybody wins.

I like it.

I'd def have to make a few April trips it they did that. What a good idea!

I'm hoping to head up to Sno for the first time ever on March 10. They'll still be open then, right?

They will be open, They will probally close like a normal year. March 20th. But in our minds it early because of how much snow we have.

I'd def have to make a few April trips it they did that. What a good idea!

I'm hoping to head up to Sno for the first time ever on March 10. They'll still be open then, right?

They will be open, They will probally close like a normal year. March 20th. But in our minds it early because of how much snow we have.

As of last week, no decision has been made, although they are probably looking at a fairly early closing to be able to begin construction. They want to do some of the things the Washo lawsuit held them up from doing. Again, another product of the jerkwad commissioner making it hard on the new owners because he got greedy.

One of the really, really smart employees approached the owners with the idea of closing the upper slopes, but running the Phoebe Sno lift on the North Face late into the spring. Everyone, including season pass holders, would have to buy a $10 lift ticket. We'd be able to ski until the snow was gone. There's even a ticket window in the blue trailer right next to the lift in the parking lot. Everybody wins.

I like it.

Well..the word going around that i'm hearing is April 1st. As for the $10 lift ticket thing..personally i think it's BS. I already paid over $500 to use that mountain. Not to mention how much later the season at Sno started than other areas around here, they should be hauling in ice rink shavings into June to make up for that, not charge an EXTRA $10. I think it's a horrible idea. I'm up there hiking for turns into May for free, without a bunch of other gapers wasting away the snow, when they close in march. And hell ontop of all that, it says on the scanners that my pass is valid until June 1st. I won't be paying any extra money until June 2nd.

Just got home from the race league and the latest word is that while no date has been set, they will probably begin construction and close slopes that are needed for the machinery (all on the upper mountain), BUT plan on being open through March.

Riderossi: you'd rather they just shut down than pay $10 to ski the North Face? Doesn't that mean you'd be paying $30, or whatever, to ski somewhere else in the Poconos? It was Washo's fault they didn't open as planned...it had nothing to do with the new owners. The $10 ticket idea was just an idea presented to the owners, not one they proposed. Every f*cked up thing that happened was because of Washo's bullshit lawsuit---the construction work that has to be done later this month was supposed to have been taken care of in November, if you recall. The new guns were held up because of the lawsuit, so a lot of my friends lost paychecks...and all the hotels and restaurants that had cancelled reservations for Christmas week can also thank Washo.

I don't mean to rant on your opinion...I just have a pretty good memory of what that lawsuit did to the skiers, riders, and new owners. I'm pissed at Washo, NOT the owners.

On the good side, the owners have said that Sno Mountain will be the first ski area to open in Poconos EVERY year.

Keeping the North Face open in April (ala Superstar at Killington) would likely be a marketing bonaza for them. I'm sure that every TV News station within 150 miles would have a van there covering it live.

With opening about a month late, I'm sure that many season pass holder's would not be crazy about the extra $10.00. Maybe $20 or $25 for non pass holders would be a better idea.

What's all the construction that they need to close the upper slopes for? The addition to the lodge?

Any word on the new trails and lift? Will it be a Quad or 6-Pack?

I'm planning on being at Sno on Sunday. I'm expecting spring conditions but they should still be good. Doesn't look like there will be a freeze to ice things up after the non-frozen precipitation.

Keeping the North Face open in April (ala Superstar at Killington) would likely be a marketing bonaza for them. I'm sure that every TV News station within 150 miles would have a van there covering it live.

With opening about a month late, I'm sure that many season pass holder's would not be crazy about the extra $10.00. Maybe $20 or $25 for non pass holders would be a better idea.

What's all the construction that they need to close the upper slopes for? The addition to the lodge?

Any word on the new trails and lift? Will it be a Quad or 6-Pack?

I'm planning on being at Sno on Sunday. I'm expecting spring conditions but they should still be good. Doesn't look like there will be a freeze to ice things up after the non-frozen precipitation.

• Like 1

Everyone will take a hit from this rain, but conditions have been amazing. Nice soft bumps at the top of WL, then good snow down below. Cannonball and Boomer were great, too. Both Switch and Whistler still had grooming marks on thm when I got there at 4pm, today, so the snow isn't being screwed up by day skiers/riders.

They need to set the first pilings for the water park. I believe the beginning stage of construction will be where the current water slide is, over to the bunny slope. No loss.

Sunday won't be spring conditions...it'll be low-30's after a cold night with some snow showers. Should be a good winter day of skiing. It'll be the first empty weekend, too, since most ski trips are done and the race kids are all at away events.

One glimmer of hope is that the night time temps are supposed to get cold again. The hoses and tri-pod snow guns are still on the slopes at JF, hopefully they will blow more snow. For as cold as it has been, everything should be pretty solid and hopefully the rain will just run off.

ski, thanks for the info. I forgot about the water park. I guess they plan on opening it this summer?

Any info on the lift? I would think that it is in the specification stages if not already ordered.

(sorry for the double post. don't know why that it happened but the site wouldn't let me edit it.)

I believe they want to get some attractions opened for this summer, but IDK much more. I remember that CB tore down the CAT team/patrol building and had their wave pool up and running that summer.

As far as the lift and new runs go, they haven't said much publicly beyond the original plans and sketches.

The rain that was forecast to be 2 to 4 inches turned out to be about a 1/2 an inch...we're headed right back to late-winter temps after one bad day.

Riderossi: you'd rather they just shut down than pay $10 to ski the North Face? Doesn't that mean you'd be paying $30, or whatever, to ski somewhere else in the Poconos?

I don't mean to rant on your opinion...I just have a pretty good memory of what that lawsuit did to the skiers, riders, and new owners. I'm pissed at Washo, NOT the owners.

On the good side, the owners have said that Sno Mountain will be the first ski area to open in Poconos EVERY year.

Well what i said was that we usually hike, alone, for runs up there until the snow is gone. Now the proposed idea is to charge me an extra $10 for what i normally do for free, AND make it crowded ontop of that. I am fully aware that Washo held up the deal, but there is no reason the owners shouldn't sympathize with the pass holders that paid hundreds of dollars expecting their promised opening date of December 15th.

That really is great to hear. Sno has gone above and beyond in everything possible this year. I'm really proud of them and am glad that I can call it my home mountain.

Spring skiing can be a lot of fun. I'll bring the beer :cheers: if someone else gets the burger's and the Jimmy Buffet music. :band

I'll take care of the Buffett considering I've got pretty much every album/song he has ever done. :wiggle

Well what i said was that we usually hike, alone, for runs up there until the snow is gone. Now the proposed idea is to charge me an extra $10 for what i normally do for free,

Got it. I look forward to our small ski hill closing every year for that same reason.

April 1? That's amazing news...

Come to think of it, Sno could end up the only Pocono ski area with a full four month ski season every year.

I skied Sno this past Sunday, 3/4 from 12:30 to 8:30.

Parked 4th car in from the North Face ticket trailer. I was glad to see that they got rid of those wrist band lift tickets.

Conditions were great and zero lift lines! There was plenty of corduroy on the sides and even patches in the middle of the upper sections of Runaway and Fast Track. Conditions were packed powder with some loose granular mixed in on the bottom of the steeper slopes. Some of the steeper sections got a little skied-off very late in the day, but everything was edgable. No ice!

It got a little windy at the top after the sun set, but the North Face is very protected down in the ravine and there was no wind at all down there.

The Long Haul Triple is a long ride (11.5min.) but the lift only stopped once all day and that wasn't until 7:35pm. The Poebe Snow Quad stopped once too, on my last ride of the night.

The base doesn't look to be exceptionally deep, but they should have no problem staying open until at least April 1st. I imagine that the snow on the North Face last a long time shaded as it is down in the ravine.

Did they go back to regular tickets??? I thought the wrist bands would be more time consuming to check...not to mention cost more for them.

They have a plastic laminated ticket with the date and time on it with a plastic cable wrap type tie like the one they use at Bear Creek. i.e. mine said, "3/4/07 12:30pm - 10:00pm"

The lady at the ticket window was real nice and told me that they had chosen the wrist band type because they wanted to use the same system for the ski area and the water park. (Makes sense to me. It's nice when someone explains their thinking.) She said that they are working on a solution.

Edited by trackbiker

TAKE IT FROM AN INSIDE GUY,

SNO HAS NO PLANS TO CLOSE EARLY. IF YOU GUYS KEEP COMING SNO WILL BE OPEN TIL THERES ONLY GRASS LEFT ON THE TRAILS. THERES A TOUGHT OUT THERE THAT SNO WILL CLOSE EARLY TO START CONSTRUCTION ON SUMMER EVENTS. NOT TRUE, IF SKIERS AND BORDERS ARE COMING SNO WILL BE OPEN. AS FAR AS CHARGING SEASON PASSES HOLDERS 10 BUCKS, CANT SEE IT. SNO KNOWS WE HAD A LATE OPENING AND WANTS TO GIVE THE SEASON PASS GUYS AS MANY DAYS AS POSSILBE OUT ON THE SLOPES. YOU GUYS TRUSTED US AND PURCHASED PASSES BEFORE WE OPENED. THAT MEANS ALOT TO US. AND AS FOR THE NEW HIGH SPEED........ IF THERES IS ONE WHERE WOULD YOU GUYS WANT IT? AND BY THE WAY, PLEASE QUIT SMASHIN MY NUTS ABOUT LIFT SPEED, THERE ARE AS FAST AS THE STATE LETS US GO.