Tuesday March 6

SkiCamelback

Tuesday March 6 -

First off -- it's coold. There is a high winds advisorory, so be careful of frost bite. Today the Sullivan Detach, Raceway Triple, and Meadows Lift will be running. The Stevenson is not running due to high wind. 29 slopes are open, but Nile Mile, Cliffhanger, Pharaoh and Little Ceasars are closed (29 open, 4 closed). Conditions are machine groomed with a Frozen and Loose Granular surface. Forecast is calling for a High of 15 on Wednesday and a High of 30 on Thursday --- winter is hanging in there for a few more days!!

Sharpen your edges if you head out today. Temps will start going up later this this week and the outlook for Fri-Sun looks more mild -- Just in time for Beach Party Weekend.

If you get out, please add to the post....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning Update:

The Sullivan Detach is closed due to High Winds. The Bailey (Fixed Grip) lift is operating and taking skiers and riders to the summit. Current temperature is 9 degrees and with wind chill -- much colder. Remember to watchout for frostbite. CB hasn't made since mid February (and I think one night on Rocket later in the month).

Is there really that big of a weather difference between the stevenson and sullivan? Why can you run one but not the other? Aren't they the exact same make/model? I know the top of the stevenson is a little higher, but is that really enough to close it? Am I ever going to stop asking questions about this lift closing?

I was also laughing about the halfpipe being closed due to it being hard...hard like icey..good thing Papasteeze isn't there today with Nipples or this thread would reach 6 pages.

I was there yesterday. Nips said the pipe sucked. he said overall the park is a little bit better. I am giving up on CB and plan on telling anyone interested in primarily park to not waste thier money visiting there. Sorry Craig, but we ate enough crap from you guys this season park related, nips tried to stop in and see you but you were in a meeting.

Is there really that big of a weather difference between the stevenson and sullivan? Why can you run one but not the other? Aren't they the exact same make/model? I know the top of the stevenson is a little higher, but is that really enough to close it? Am I ever going to stop asking questions about this lift closing?

It has to do with the risk of a potential evacuation.

Well of course. I heard that depending on a combination of Wetbulb, Wind-chill and Terror alert, some weekdays might only have the Meadows lift running. :rofl :rofl

the parks/pipes have a f***in park pass...

if the landings are too hard and the pipe is a rock, let the people who ride it be the judge of whether or not they want to hit it. dont just close it. im really glad you guys didnt have to pay for a park pass.

did you guys close ski school or beginner trails to? i bet they were just as hard. dont want any little ones falling and hurting a knee...

maybe you guys should just close the whole damn mountain on days like this.

if the parks are too hard, half the mountain is too windy/far away from rescue, and you obviously arent atracting the ideal amount of crowds, just close everything down.

Edited by Shadows

As a pro patroller at Camelback I can say that lifts at Camelback are never closed due to the potential of an evacuation. I can also say with almost absolute certainty that no resort in the world would close a lift due to the potential of an evacuation. We can reach the liftlines of all of the Camelback lifts in minutes, even the Stevenson.

The Stevenson unloading is much more exposed to the prevailing western winds on the mountain. That is the reason why it may be closed on some days while the Sullivan is turning.

All too often, Papasteeze, your arguments are based upon a misunderstanding of the facts. This last one was no exception. I suggest you check the accuracy of your information before you post again, as each one of these ignorant comments destroys your reputation and whittles away at your credibility. Its at the point now where I wonder how anyone could ever take you seriously.

^ the fact remains the same though...you guys partially closed down again for some bulls*** reason.

Hit the nail on the head.

My spring break is coming up and I can't wait to ride all over the Poconos. Always having to worry about having half the mountain closed when I arrive doesn't exactly make me want to drive to your mountain and spend my money on a product with diminished value.

Winds are a bullshit reason?

Why is the unloading area of special importance in terms of wind? I never considered the location of the loading/unloading housing to be of particular concern in terms of a wind hazzard. Surely the issue isn't related to the skiers themselves? The chairs lock into a grove and can't be thrown around in the housing when they come off the cable.

I've been in some SERIOUS wind at other mountains on high speed lifts, with no issues. At one mountain in particular the wind was so strong that my sister was blown off the snow covered unloading ramp onto the wooden stairs next to the ramp.

Winds are a bullshit reason?

We have plenty of lifties on this board, and most notably, one who has worked at Mammoth (I think) as a liftie, and has stated several times, that you're average Dopplymayr/Poma can sustain 60mph crosswinds before shutting down. Camelback isn't seeing 60mph winds, let alone DIRECT cross winds. Blue's 6 pack is always running in 40mph winds, like today.

All too often, Papasteeze, your arguments are based upon a misunderstanding of the facts. This last one was no exception. I suggest you check the accuracy of your information before you post again, as each one of these ignorant comments destroys your reputation and whittles away at your credibility. Its at the point now where I wonder how anyone could ever take you seriously.

My credibility? Misunderstanding? Check the accuracy? Ignorant comment? Why did you pick on my little one liner in this whole thread? Did the truth hurt?

You just called a number of people at CB Mgmt liars. You all need to get together and discuss what you tell people, so that you all have the same story. It's not my credibility that is shot, it is Camelbacks. Stay true the course and keep posting, please.

Camelback cares about their guests more than any other ski area. Yesterday at Blue I rode the 6-pack through 40+mph gusts...it definitely was uncomfortable and I really wish Blues management was more like Camelbacks and just kept the 6-pack shut-down until winds went to below 10mph. That way I wouldn't risk frostbite and could still get my swerve on lower on the mountain.

That was posted sarcastically, right?? :confused