This makes me a sad panda

stever2003

Well, I hit up Sno Mtn for the first time today. I took off from work for my 22nd birthday, and my buddy and I headed up to Elk for the college discount day. The snow and driving conditions were bad though, so I convinced him to go to Sno instead. I was pretty impressed with Sno, the conditions were PERFECT. Everything was powder. It was looking like a good day. Until my toes started feeling too cold :(.

On the lifts I noticed my right toes were pretty cold, to the point where it was bothering me. If I only thought of it once I woulda brushed it off, but it kept bothering me. We went in for a bathroom break and a quick snack, and my toes were still pretty cold. I took off my boots, and my right big toe was kinda swollen, with a hot spot developing. I threw on a pair of fresh socks and found an employee who called up ski patrol for me. The patrol dude came in and took a look and said it was probably early in the stages of frostbite. I talked to the family doc, who said if it was a blister I should go to the ER...but if it was just a hot spot I could just warm it up slowly in water. I was almost sure it was a hotspot and I could just warm it up...but the doc, the patroller, and my mom convinced me to go to the ER. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but this just bummed me out. I got to the ER, and after about 2 hours of waiting, the PA and doctor checked me out for a total of about 3 minutes, told me it was nothing and obviously it had warmed up over the 4 hours since I had come off the slopes, sorta laughed at me for being there, and sent me home. Now I'm just disappointed I didn't get to ski more in such perfect conditions.

I saw some PASR stickers on poles 4 and 6 on the pheobe lift...awesome.

I hope the trails they put in next year are intermediate hills and a bit difficult...the blues they have now are kinda mild, though the width was incredible. All the blacks were very nice to ski on...White Lightning was awesome. I was so disappointed I didn't get to ski that more than once.

I'll definitely be up to Sno again!

There's only one way to feel better after a shitty day...go out to the bar with your friends!

"Beer...the cause of, and solution to, all the world's problems."

Well, I hit up Sno Mtn for the first time today. I took off from work for my 22nd birthday, and my buddy and I headed up to Elk for the college discount day. The snow and driving conditions were bad though, so I convinced him to go to Sno instead. I was pretty impressed with Sno, the conditions were PERFECT. Everything was powder. It was looking like a good day. Until my toes started feeling too cold :( .

On the lifts I noticed my right toes were pretty cold, to the point where it was bothering me. If I only thought of it once I woulda brushed it off, but it kept bothering me. We went in for a bathroom break and a quick snack, and my toes were still pretty cold. I took off my boots, and my right big toe was kinda swollen, with a hot spot developing. I threw on a pair of fresh socks and found an employee who called up ski patrol for me. The patrol dude came in and took a look and said it was probably early in the stages of frostbite. I talked to the family doc, who said if it was a blister I should go to the ER...but if it was just a hot spot I could just warm it up slowly in water. I was almost sure it was a hotspot and I could just warm it up...but the doc, the patroller, and my mom convinced me to go to the ER. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but this just bummed me out. I got to the ER, and after about 2 hours of waiting, the PA and doctor checked me out for a total of about 3 minutes, told me it was nothing and obviously it had warmed up over the 4 hours since I had come off the slopes, sorta laughed at me for being there, and sent me home. Now I'm just disappointed I didn't get to ski more in such perfect conditions.

I saw some PASR stickers on poles 4 and 6 on the pheobe lift...awesome.

I hope the trails they put in next year are intermediate hills and a bit difficult...the blues they have now are kinda mild, though the width was incredible. All the blacks were very nice to ski on...White Lightning was awesome. I was so disappointed I didn't get to ski that more than once.

I'll definitely be up to Sno again!

Maybe you need to undo the buckles on your boots when you are on the lift, this will help circulation. I always try to wiggle my toes on the lift, on cold days to keep circulation going.

Well, it sucks you missed out on a little but at least it was nothing. I got hit by the opposite of that when I thought it was nothing and it turned out to be real serious and I haven't been snowboarding in 2 months, where as last year I had 35 days. So atleast you'll get more days in this year.

Don't you mean socks? :rofl:jk sib

Nah, Schif, they make a 'glove' that goes over the lower part of your boot. Sib's out in a state where some people have to keep their car engines warm at night with an electric heater. It's okay to wear boot gloves where she is, but you'd get beaten up i the Poconos for wearing them.

Glad to hear you're fine, stever...better to be a live dog than a dead lion.

I can't imagine those boot socks work well with the contact patterns of most snowboard boots. They are advertised for snowboarding as well, but I'm not sure I believe it. Anyone have any experience? Not that I'm looking to get beat up in the poconos but...

Ya, I definitely think the tightness of my boots had something to do with it. I like them pretty tight. Also, the single digit temps didn't help either.

Where can I get these boot gloves? Sounds like a good idea for the cold weather. Does putting that on the outside of the boot really help? I would think you'd want something on the inside, where you are trying to contain the body heat.

Well, I'm happy with how I handled the situation yesterday, and I caught the problem before it became an issue. I'll be more cautious in the future when skiing in the extreme temps. As for the ER trip, I should have trusted my own judgment. The PA and MD at the ER sorta laughed at me and said with such a mild problem the solution was to slowly warm the foot (which was all I wanted to do in the first place). Since they saw me 4 hours after the problem started, my toes were obviously warmed up. I'm still pretty bitter about the waste of time/money yesterday.

The new freestyle boots like SPK and Kryptons have larger toe boxes so that you can move your toes around - not a performance boot by any means. It is the first boot (Dalbello Krypton) I have ever had that my toes did not get cold in. I have about 10 days in single digit temps in them. Tons of kids are now rocking the SPK's

I would definitely go with a $1 set of disposable toe warmers before anything else. They are much flatter than the hand warmers and have a sticky side to hold them in place. My daughter never skies without them.

My wife never skies without her Hotronics, which are closer to $200. They are customizeable footbeds that are wired to rechargeable batteries you wear on your boot strap.

Your third choice are the Basix Thermics, which are about $40 for the footbeds, then $60 for the case that holds AA batteries. This battery pack also clips to your boot strap. I know Bear Creek Ski Shop (across from the Lackawanna Stadium) carries them.

No diss Stever but going to the ER because of numb toes for skiing is a little extreme.

I know man...and it was the last thing I wanted to do. I (reluctantly) let my doctor talk me into it over the phone. Like I said, I should have considered my own judgment more.